*Spring Fling 2015 Re-Cap* (MEGA Pic Heavy)

Cletus T.

Well folks…..we had our 13th annual Spring Fling fishing trip this past weekend and MAN…….what a trip it was. Number one…..It’s amazing that we’re still doing this thing after 13-years because as we all get older and we just get busier and busier with life and kids and work and school and sports and everything under the moon. It puts a BIG ole smile on my face every year to see that this trip is very important to a lot of people. I think the older we get the more this trip means to me. Sorry to get all sappy on ya folks……..let’s talk fishing as the fishing this year might be the best we have ever had it. I know it seems like the last 4-years we have said “BEST EVER”……and then we improve on that, but I truly do feel like this years Fling was the BEST EVER!!!! From the fishing to the weather to the food……everything just seemed to be on point and it all just came together at the perfect time. It’s all about timing folks………I’ll be hitting on that a lot as I take you through this journey……it’s always about timing!!!! We were fortunate enough to get to have Spring Fling @ Big Sandy Plantation again so we are very grateful for that!!! On to the action!

DAY 1 (Thursday)

You don’t mess with tradition and as always, I spend Thursday fishing with my dear friend Wojo. We fish every Spring Fling Thursday together and we make a pretty darn good team too. We started out fishing at first light but the cloud cover was thick and we just keep waiting for this huge storm to show up on us but what looked like a true gulley-washer earlier in the week got weaker and weaker the closer it got to us. That made me VERY happy. It didn’t take long for me to put one in the boat with a topwater propbait. Wojo followed that up with a catch of his own…..and then another…..and another. This fishing was starting out pretty hot for us and we were having a blast. I caught a few more fish off a fluke and Wojo was throwing that deadly Carolina – Rig and whacking ‘em. We caught fish all morning but not really big ones. 3-pounds might have been the biggest. We set off for the big dock to break for lunch and weigh anybody’s fish that might be the Day 1 leader.

When we got to the dock Dubnik (last years Champion) was there with his former #1 fishing partner who had missed the last couple Fling’s…….Young Geezy was in the back of the boat and he had a fish he wanted to bring to the scales! He reached down into the box and pulled out a 5 ½ pounder that was just as pretty as she wanted to be! Dubnik had one that was about 5 too so them two put in some good work Thursday morning. Gee is a former Spring Fling Champion who has missed the last couple of Spring Flings but he made it a point to come to this years and boy did he put on a clinic! More on that later. Soooooo……we all broke for lunch with Gee being the Mid-Day leader at 5 ½ pounds……..that’s pretty strong but we all knew…….it wouldn’t hold.

So the afternoon fish was good too and the sun burned through those clouds to make it a very nice afternoon and we all caught more fish but nobody caught one bigger than my buddy Buck’s MONSTER bass! So here is the back story. Buck had planned on waking up early Thursday morning and driving down to Macon from Suwanee and getting a full day of fishing. Plans Changed!!! At the last moment this year our cook fell through so Buck had to do all kinds of running around Thursday AM before he could even head south to Big Sandy. By the time Buck got to Big Sandy he was loaded down with a truck full of food…….enough to feed a Bass Army! He quickly unloaded his stuff and went bank fishing on the main lake. He had made a few cast when good ole Devin Essence pulled up in his pretty green boat with a clean white motor. Devin’s partner couldn’t make it this year so he was solo. He scooped Buck up and from here I’m gonna to tell the story the way Buck told it…….

Buck : Thanks Devin for picking me up……..I’ve been running around crazy this morning and haven’t had anything to eat yet……you got anything?

Devin : Yeah-Man……I got a pack of crackers in that cooler….you can have ‘em man!

Buck : Thank You Devin, I’m pretty thirsty too….you got anything to drink?

Devin : Yeah-Man…..I got some cold beers and some waters…….

Buck : Give me one of those cold beers…..

Devin : You got it man

Buck : Sooooo Devin……how’s the fishing…..what they biting?

Devin : I’ve been catching them pretty good on one of these junebug Senko’s man……you want one?

Buck : Yeah-Man…….give me one of those Senkos!

So here we are…….Buck is eating Devin’s crackers……drinking Devin’s Beer……fishing with Devin’s plastics and that’s when it happens. He hangs a dang monster and she takes him and wraps him into a tree. Buck said…..that’s it…..it’s over…..we aint getting her out. But Devin always being positive says “Yes we will” and they go in to get her in the thick stuff and Buck gives ole Big Girl some slack and she un-tangles herself and Devin scoops her up. They high five and are just amazed at how big she is……..she looks almost like a 10-pounder folks! Here’s the deal though…….Devin’s pretty little green boat with the clean white motor doesn’t have a live well. He’s got a bright yellow stringer though……so they put her on the stringer and off they go to the big dock where we have the official weigh-in at. We heard the hollering too off in the distance so we were all waiting at the dock to see what he was bringing to the scale. They get close and we can see Buck with the “Death-Grip” on that stringer and as he gets closer we can all tell that this is a massive fish. Then….as the boat butts up against the dock this bass walks Buck to the dock. NOT….the other way around folks…..it was like Buck was walking a dog. The dang bass’s dorsal fin was all out of the water and it looked like dang JAWS!!! Buck later called the bass a circus bass. It was the dangest thing I’ve ever seen! And then he pulls the bass out of the water for all the world to see. In ALL her GLORY!!! People start freaking out and they’re folks hollering and high-fiving and it was just an awesome sight!

We put her on the scales and she pulls it down to 9-pounds…..BIGGEST BASS in Spring Fling History. BIGGEST BASS of Buck’s life. This ole gal had eyeballs the size of golf-balls……she was such a fat girl…..a true slob…..and a true giant!!!! Something to note too but ole Buck was fishing with 8-lb line that was probably two years old. Talk about “Meant To Be” We snapped some picks…..took some video and released her back in the drink. At this very point…..folks knew……..the Spring Fling 2015 Big Bass Champion had just been caught. Beating a 9-pounder in a 1-fish tournament is going to be really hard to do……..BUT…….we had enough crazy bass fisherman that weren’t going to quit though. This was Thursday afternoon…….we still had two days of fishing to go!!!

DAY 2 (Friday)

Friday morning came with some heavy clouds and it had rained some over night so things were wet……but not terribly wet. I was fishing with my buddy Trees on the morning fish and by the time we got on the water there was about 4-boats on the water and they all went North. So we went South……towards the dam. Trees has always been found of the Dam as he and his normal partner have caught some good quality fish off the dam over the years. We were expecting rain for the day so I was wearing my rain boots but these weren’t just any ole rain boots…..they are my “Shrimp Boots” and they are white. Real Clean looking. Folks kept making fun of them all day but after they saw the way I fished on Friday they weren’t laughing no more!!! Just real clean fishing folks! We got to fishing and by the time we got set up on our spot we look over to our left and Dunaway and Ross are catching fish. That was a good positive sign. So we start working the dam and Trees is worming them and after about 10-mins of fishing he hammers a 3-1/2 pounder and in the boat she goes. I’m throwing a white hollow-belly swimbait on a big Trokar 5/0 swimbait hook and this sucker is swimming so dang good. It looks beautiful coming through the water…..just doing her thing and shaking that tail! I cast the swimbait right up against the bank and I had made two turns of the reel and something just “dump-trucked” it…..BIG BASS on! She makes a hard pull for deep water and I can feel her shaking her head like crazy. It’s almost like she is head-banging down there……..I get her up and she is big….in the 6-7 pound range and that laser sharp Trokar hook is buried into her fat lipps so she aint going nowhere! She makes a couple more hard runs until I’m able to get her close to the boat so Trees can net her. Trees did an excellent job of getting this big girl in the boat for me. We weighed her real quick…….7 lbs. 3 ozs…..took a quick pic and put her in the livewell.

We kept fishing down the dam and caught a few more fish too but none bigger than the 7 in the box. We moved locations and started fishing “The Wall” a section of the lake that I have always caught good fish off of. Still slinging that white swimbait and it doesn’t take too long for another Big Girl to load up on it. She bit at the bottom of some freshly growing pads and when I hammered her with the Trokar she tried to saw every one of those stems down! I was able to get her out of the thick stuff and Trees netted her again. At first glance Trees thought she might be bigger than my 7-pounder in the box but she looked a little smaller, even though she did seem to have more of a pot-belly on her. We snapped a quick pic and dropped her in the other livewell as they wouldn’t both fit in there because we had Tree’s 3-1/2 pounder in there too for a good photo-opp back at the dock. We kept fishing and kept catching fish…..it was an awesome morning fish. When we got back to the Dock ole Rheterro had a good one in the box to weigh too. So did Dubnik (last years Champ) and it was nice seeing just about everybody there catching fish and catching fat bass too…..not just dinks! My big girl weighed 7 lbs. 3 oz. and her little sister weighed 6-pounds even. Catching big fish is always fun but when they are crushing a swimbait……MAN……what a fun bite! We broke for lunch and actually broke for the day as in the last couple years we have taken Friday afternoon off (some of us that us) and we do a Friday Funday and just enjoy ourselves without the pressures of fishing. We relax and usually find a dock either on the main-lake or one of the other 5 bodies of water and play some music and just chill. It’s a lot of fun for sure! So Friday was in the books other than a massive dinner and a massive bonfire for the night. As I laid my head on the pillow that night I couldn’t help but smile as I had one the best days of fishing of my life. Not only in Spring Fling history but fishing history period. I needed to get my rest……….because it was going to take a 10-pounder to knock Buck off the leader board and tomorrow was Championship Day and everybody would be swinging for the fences!

DAY 3 (Saturday / Championship Day)

So Sat. morning comes and with it comes the fog. Some pretty thick fog too but it wasn’t too foggy to navigate. My partner for Sat. was my very own Brother…..BB! He got a new J14 Carolina Skiff and this would be my first time fishing out of it and boy is it a sweet boat. My brother is very happy with it……as he should be! We got to fishing and the fishing started out a little tough for Sat. morning. We had experienced great fishing for two days and after you start hammering the fish for a couple days you have to wonder if they are going to start wising up on us. We have some good fisherman down there and they know how to bass fish so I was worried the bite would be tough all day……but it wasn’t! We started catching fish late in the morning and then a little bit after lunch the big bright sun finally burned through the clouds and once it did…….we could see beds everywhere! Places we had fished for two days were loaded with beds. We could never really see them in the dark tantric water of the main lake but once the sun came out those white sandy spots were shinning like brand new pennies! I spotted a decent one on bed…..threw my worm up there and got a strike….sadly she spit it out before I could set the hook good. I threw in there again and this time FISH ON. She shot out of the shallows like a bullet but I was able to get her under control fairly quickly. She was bigger than I thought too…..about 4-pounds. BB busted one right after this too….and then another…..and then another. BB was starting to roll and we got on a really good worm bite for the afternoon….it was nice. I love fishing with my brother but especially when we are both catching fish……making memories! There were 4 and 5-pounders caught all over main lake…….again! Nothing ever took down that 9-pound mark though as that is a TALL task folks. A 9-pound bass is a huge fish…..I did my best to try and chop Buck down, but in the end……….the 9-pounder stood!!!

We fished hard for 3-days but by the time Sat. night rolls around it’s time for Banquet Night. We roll out all the best meats….pulled pork……brisket……sliced turkey…..green beans…..potato salad….mac-n-cheese…..and a big ole Spring Fling Cake. Buck actually got a cake made that said “Spring Fling” on it…..it was awesome and there wasn’t one piece leftover! We have our awards ceremony after we eat by the big Bon-fire and it’s really a special night. I started this story off by talking about how special it is that we’re still able to get together and have this trip every year. This is the one time of year where we get to see some of these dudes. Take Rhetrro for instance…..he’s the GODFATHER of this trip as it was his idea 13-years ago to load the truck up with a couple buddies….hook his boat up and drive down to Paradise PFA and fish for the weekend. Well…….ole Rhetrro has since moved to Wisconsin and that’s a pretty long ways away from Georgia, but he comes back every year for this trip. It’s a special thing folks……we’re all getting older now and life can change in the blink of an eye sometimes. No one is guaranteed tomorrow and it makes me smile that the 20 + of us still make it a point year after year to fellowship with each other and make it a point to get our butts down to Spring Fling. We fish our tails off…..we eat like kings…..we let our hair down a little bit…with my massive beard this year I let my beard down……we relax….we unwind and we recharge our batteries. Sometimes with the busy-ness of life you need to take time to pump the brakes and go on a fishing trip and be surrounded by friends (old ones and new ones) and be reminded of how much we have to be thankful and grateful for! That’s what this trip REALLY means. The older I get the more and more this trip means to me and Lord willing we’ll keep having it year after year!

I need to thank Big Sandy Plantation once again for opening your doors for me and my crew….a good many who you have never even met so thank you from the bottom of my heart for the hospitality. The owner of the place has always told me that “If you be good to Big Sandy she’ll be good to you”…….well…….she was extremely good to us this year. From the weather….to the fishing….the timing of the spawn…to the food…to the fires……everything was just perfect. The timing of this trip was just perfect. For 13-years we have always tried to line it up right and something always comes in and wrecks our plans……but not this year…..the timing was impeccable! I can say this without a doubt….BEST SPRING FLING EVER!!!!

Thank you for taking time to read the novel. Check out the pics and I’ll soon have a pretty sweet Gopro video finished up to add to the awesomeness too!

Stay Bassy My Friends!

Cletus

Attachments

• IMG_1953.JPG
    IMG_1953.JPG
    171.3 KB · Views: 928
  • IMG_1954.JPG
    IMG_1954.JPG
    158.5 KB · Views: 906
  • IMG_1957.JPG
    IMG_1957.JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 905
  • IMG_1965.JPG
    IMG_1965.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 914
  • IMG_1966.JPG
    IMG_1966.JPG
    167.3 KB · Views: 878
  • IMG_1982.JPG
    IMG_1982.JPG
    253.2 KB · Views: 929
  • IMG_1980.JPG
    IMG_1980.JPG
    233.5 KB · Views: 879
  • IMG_1977.JPG
    IMG_1977.JPG
    214.1 KB · Views: 905
  • IMG_1976.JPG
    IMG_1976.JPG
    192.6 KB · Views: 900
  • IMG_1972.JPG
    IMG_1972.JPG
    161.1 KB · Views: 900
  • IMG_1994.JPG
    IMG_1994.JPG
    177.8 KB · Views: 888
  • IMG_1992.JPG
    IMG_1992.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 913
  • IMG_1991.JPG
    IMG_1991.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 906
  • IMG_1990.JPG
    IMG_1990.JPG
    177.5 KB · Views: 892
  • IMG_1987.JPG
    IMG_1987.JPG
    190.2 KB · Views: 888
  • IMG_1995.JPG
    IMG_1995.JPG
    187.1 KB · Views: 894
  • IMG_1996.JPG
    IMG_1996.JPG
    181.4 KB · Views: 858
  • IMG_2003.JPG
    IMG_2003.JPG
    136.2 KB · Views: 896
  • IMG_2004.JPG
    IMG_2004.JPG
    137.4 KB · Views: 904
  • IMG_2006.JPG
    IMG_2006.JPG
    212.4 KB · Views: 897
  • IMG_2030.JPG
    IMG_2030.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 888
  • IMG_2027.JPG
    IMG_2027.JPG
    214.4 KB · Views: 895
  • IMG_2017.JPG
    IMG_2017.JPG
    202.9 KB · Views: 890
  • IMG_2015.JPG
    IMG_2015.JPG
    180.8 KB · Views: 914
  • IMG_2007.JPG
    IMG_2007.JPG
    174.6 KB · Views: 903
  • IMG_2043.JPG
    IMG_2043.JPG
    227.2 KB · Views: 883
  • IMG_2040.JPG
    IMG_2040.JPG
    305.3 KB · Views: 861
  • IMG_2037.JPG
    IMG_2037.JPG
    213.1 KB · Views: 892
  • IMG_2035.JPG
    IMG_2035.JPG
    184.6 KB · Views: 890
  • IMG_2034.JPG
    IMG_2034.JPG
    150.9 KB · Views: 896
  • IMG_2045.JPG
    IMG_2045.JPG
    183.7 KB · Views: 878
  • IMG_2051.JPG
    IMG_2051.JPG
    190.2 KB · Views: 852
  • IMG_2052.JPG
    IMG_2052.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 846
  • IMG_2053.JPG
    IMG_2053.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 875
  • IMG_2054.JPG
    IMG_2054.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 892
  • IMG_2063.JPG
    IMG_2063.JPG
    166.4 KB · Views: 842
  • IMG_2061.JPG
    IMG_2061.JPG
    163.5 KB · Views: 875
  • IMG_2057.JPG
    IMG_2057.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 867
  • IMG_2056.JPG
    IMG_2056.JPG
    245.5 KB · Views: 886
  • IMG_2055.JPG
    IMG_2055.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 877

Cletus T.

More Pics

A few more shots....GREAT trip!!!

Attachments

• IMG_2095.JPG
    IMG_2095.JPG
    160.1 KB · Views: 873
  • IMG_2075.JPG
    IMG_2075.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 877
  • IMG_2072.JPG
    IMG_2072.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 887
  • IMG_2067.JPG
    IMG_2067.JPG
    218.4 KB · Views: 870
  • IMG_2065.JPG
    IMG_2065.JPG
    152.3 KB · Views: 885
  • IMG_2099.JPG
    IMG_2099.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 880
  • IMG_2157.JPG
    IMG_2157.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 860
  • IMG_2160.JPG
    IMG_2160.JPG
    252.1 KB · Views: 858
  • IMG_2161.JPG
    IMG_2161.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 867
  • IMG_2163.JPG
    IMG_2163.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 845

Gut_Pile

Been waiting on this write up. Thanks for sharing Cletus!

I enjoyed it!

lipsticker

Good weather, good food, good fishing, and great fellowship. 1964 miles total driving round trip, and I`d do it again tomorrow if I needed to. Thanks for taking the ball and running with it Clint. I need this trip more than ever now that I`m in this perpetual winter wonderland. Great trip, and I`m already looking forward to next year!!!

brushbuster

Let's go back this weekend.

Good work Clet, reading it put a smile back all over my face.

Cletus T.

What lake?

gt40

Most the fish were caught out of the main lake at Big Sandy Plantation.

I know it man…..it’s a super long read. The place has 5-different bodies of water to fish and all of them have fish in them!

seeker

It great that you have a core group of friends that do this every year. That's the most important thing about this outing.

I'm surprised to see what lures are working for you. I'm not having much luck with the fluke or whacky rig yet.

On another note, we've already pulled a 7lb, 14oz. and a 9lb, 1oz from my little piece of heaven.

GAGE

GONetwork Member
Another fantastic outing for you and your buds! Congrats on your second place runner up/win, and more importantly having the will/dedication/need to continue you all's get away! Great job, and I appreciate you sharing.

HydraYak

Spring Fling 2015

Great write up and pics Clint! Big Sandy was definitely good to use this year!