Ssvage muzzle brake

possum235

Can you shoot it without the muzzle brake. Or is there a way to fill the holes. The noise is awful

Jester896

Senior Clown
not a whole bunch of info but...if it is a removable brake you can and just put a thread protector on it to protect the threads

FlipKing

Post a picture and we'll tell you. Lol

Lilly001

I have a Savage that came with a MB that could be opened or closed by rotation. Great idea but when I got the gun it was seized open. Try as I might I couldn’t free it up so I replaced it with an adapter (it was a non standard thread) and put a thread protector on it.
I can now put my silencer on it, when I care to.

earlthegoat2

Used for hunting

Plenty of folks use standard ear plugs for hunting.

Plenty more use electronic hearing protection. That is what I use for my 300 WM with a brake.

Nonetheless, just remove it and figure out what size and thread pitch it is and get a thread protector for it. You can just leave the threads exposed too temporarily but I think you will want the protector eventually.

Reactions: Dub

bighonkinjeep

It depends. A pic would be helpful. There are way too many ways that barrels are braked to know what your answer is. Some are ported barrels with holes drilled directly in the barrel in this case cutting it off as long as theirs enough barrel to remain legal is the answer, some are threaded on and depending on the locker used may need a little heat and some like the factory adjustable models are threaded and pinned if i remember right. The factory adjustable ones would sometimes lock up if not properly maintained, but kroil, time and a piece of leather with a pair of vice grips and a rocking motion will free em up. If not more time kroil and rocking. These simply twist to close and are one of my favorite designs.
I'm a fan of muzzle brakes so the best suggestion Ive heard yet is better ear protection.

SC Hunter

I have muffs in my truck that go with me anytime I carry a rifle hunting especially ones with a brake. It literally takes me 3 seconds to get them on and get on the gun.

Lilly001

I have muffs in my truck that go with me anytime I carry a rifle hunting especially ones with a brake. It literally takes me 3 seconds to get them on and get on the gun.
I wear muffs (the amplified type) anytime I’m planning to shoot.
I’ve grown tired of that ringing in the ears thing.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I just ordered a pair of the Walkers (battery type). They have more protection than the Impact Sports ones I normally wear and won't interfere with a rifle comb.

Dub

I just ordered a pair of the Walkers (battery type). They have more protection than the Impact Sports ones I normally wear and won't interfere with a rifle comb.
(y) (y) (y) (y)

I am hopefully going to catch a pair on Black Friday / Cyber Monday sales.

FlipKing

I like my walkers. I find it hard to shoot groups with them because they hit my rifle stock. I got some axils that are a bit of a pain to fit but they are solid once you get them in your ear.

Lilly001

I use the Howard leight muffs.
I’ve tried the Walkers and they don’t clear the stock well.
Mine still give me directional hearing (only two microphones).
I’m on my second pair just because the first is getting scratched up and the Wifey needed a gift idea.

Latest posts