Worn brake pads on one side

TAS

I'll start with I am not very mechanically inclined.......my neighbor helped change my front brake pads. The passenger side was 95% gone. The driver side was only about 20% worn. As I am driving from time to time I can feel that passenger side rubbing. 2016 Chevy Silverado. What causes this? Thanks.

jaybirdius

Check the caliper slide pins and surfaces where the caliper needs to be able to move. one side can bind and not wear causing the other side to wear prematurely or one side may bind and cause that brake to drag and cause excess wear and heat. A cheap laser thermometer will save a lot of diagnostic time. Drive it then shoot each rotor or drum and that will give you a better idea of what's going on.

Eudora

Curious .... was it the side where the piston is or the other side? Agree some polishing the slides with a little emery cloth and then light application of disc pad lube will help, check the caliper hardware too. It could be sticking and keeping the pad in constant contact wit the rotor. A little brake caliper lube when the hardware touches the caliper will help. Use a fine steel brush to clean those areas first to ensure a non-binding surface. If it didn't come with the pad hardware, spend a few extra bucks and buy some. Try and avoid using that old hardware. Good luck !

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Dry Slide pins
Bad Caliper
Internally Collapsed Brake hoses.

Can be any one of those or a combination of.

Latest posts