Starting load for .45 conical bullet

miktom

My friend has borrowed a H&R Huntsman in .45 cal. It is one of the first inline (cap) frontstuffers. He is wanting to shoot a conical bullet so I'm trying to find him a starting load. Any help will be appreciated.
What do you think is max?

WTM45

What type powder are you gonna use? I would not recommend over 90g of Pyrodex Select, granular form. Definately no more than two 45/50
50 grain Pyrodex pellets!
I do not believe the H&R is a true magnum built muzzleloader.

miktom

It is NOTa magnum bp rifle

The old Huntsman is a "cap" ignition and will not ignite pellets. Will use powder, BP or PyrodexRS. Don't know if 777 will ignite with a cap?

WTM45

Some inline cap rifles will ignite pellets, was unsure about this one, if the cap is a musket cap, not a #11 cap.
I would stick with Pyrodex RS or Select, as it is MUCH easier to cleanup. What weight bullet? I'd start with 75-80 grains, if the rifle is sound.

Last edited:

WTM45

777 is easy to clean up too, but it is a hotter powder. High velocities, but I would be leery in an older rifle.
Definately no more than 70g of 777 to start!

contender*

Some inline cap rifles will ignite pellets, was unsure about this one.
I would stick with Pyrodex RS or Select, as it is MUCH easier to cleanup. What weight bullet? I'd start with 75-80 grains, if the rifle is sound.

Not to go off topic but do you know if the TC scout will ignite pellets. I've always used pyrodex but had always thought when I run out I would use pellets.

WTM45

I doubt it. I think most rifles designed to shoot pellets are using a 209 shotshell primer for positive ignition.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
I would be very careful here. I recommend gettin` the owners manual or call the company that made it for loadin` references. It`s not worth your health to take a chance.

pepper54

I had one of those H&R's but in 58 cal. my first b/p rifle. I was shooting with friends when the one shootong it had to go inside. I (rookie)was asked to load a light load for my other friend. 40 gr + 505 conical only problem there was 120+505 already home,didn't notice touched it off....not light load. gun in air, 300lb friend in lap, gun held. no problem. only problem was inconsistant ignition changed over to 209 s/g primer