State park quota hunts

kayaksteve

You can put in for points only if you want to continue acquiring points but are not able to go this year. I’ve just got back into the qouta game and acquiring points the past few years. But I used to build points til I knew for a fact I would get drawn on a particular hunt before I actually put in for the hunt. That way you could go ahead and iron out plans without having to wait on results to know if you were selected

bany

I definitely want to hunt it myself.
I noticed at red top mtn there 35 hunters out of a 50 person quota last year. How bad does that stink for 15 guys that would have been there?
If there’s a bright side they lost lots of points ( the absentees)

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I noticed at red top mtn there 35 hunters out of a 50 person quota last year. How bad does that stink for 15 guys that would have been there?
If there’s a bright side they lost lots of points ( the absentees)

The numbers show low attendance at many hunts. Makes me wonder if folks are applying to keep actual hunters from being there.
A requirement like an applicant must have a valid sportsman license might keep this at a minimum.

bany

The numbers show low attendance at many hunts. Makes me wonder if folks are applying to keep actual hunters from being there.
A requirement like an applicant must have a valid sportsman license might keep this at a minimum.
That’s not a crazy notion Milkman. I can see some fellas having conflicts come up but holy cow! 15 out 50? And it takes 4+ points for most of these lower number hunts.
Its not just having a or any license I’m afraid. Maybe you get tagged as a chronic no show after twice? Three is two many and we already see how three strikes is working everywhere else.

ucfireman

Makes me wonder if folks are applying to keep actual hunters from being there.
Not always.
I have been chosen for a quota hunt a few times that I didn't attend.
Sometimes I had a better offer. Or something come up. Work paying a bonus etc.
Sometimes you just didn't feel like the drive, some are a long ways away. Sounds fun until its time and your buddy didn't get chosen.
Or its raining and I don't hunt in the rain (I'm a pansy)
Sometimes its just better hunting at home.
Many reasons folks don't show. I doubt many are "wasting points" to prevent other hunters from attending.
I myself put in every year. Sometimes I wager points, most of the time not. If I get chosen great, If not I get a point.
My 0.02

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Not always.
I have been chosen for a quota hunt a few times that I didn't attend.
Sometimes I had a better offer. Or something come up. Work paying a bonus etc.
Sometimes you just didn't feel like the drive, some are a long ways away. Sounds fun until its time and your buddy didn't get chosen.
Or its raining and I don't hunt in the rain (I'm a pansy)
Sometimes its just better hunting at home.
Many reasons folks don't show. I doubt many are "wasting points" to prevent other hunters from attending.
I myself put in every year. Sometimes I wager points, most of the time not. If I get chosen great, If not I get a point.
My 0.02

My thought is anti hunters

cowhornedspike

At least a license. Must anti hunters wouldn’t be willing to buy one just to take up a quota slot.

That'd be ok with me. Would give those of us that put up the money a better shot at it!!

BASS1FUN

I think your license has to be current because I was trying to apply for a quota with my son and it wouldn’t allow it but when he got his new license it went through

cowhornedspike

I think your license has to be current because I was trying to apply for a quota with my son and it wouldn’t allow it but when he got his new license it went through

Never known that to be the case but I WISH and hope they have made it where a current license is a requirement...especially for non res. Many other states do this.

I am glad as well. You shouldn't be allowed to build points for free..... lord knows I spend way north of $1000 on points all across the country every year. Actually it is likely closer to $2000 in application fees actually.