State record peacock bass caught in Florida

GTMODawg

BANNED
They are thick as cordwood in the waters that hold them in south Florida. A BLAST to catch and very easy DIY trip...lots of public water open to anyone and surprisingly easy to get permission to fish in subdivisions for them. The same waters hold loads of panfish type tropical fish that get really big and will embarass a shellcracker for fighting. A 5 weight fly rod is a blast in those waters. It is an ebarassingly easy way to catch some very fun fish on your own in a area you don't get to fish often or ever...and they are as good to eat as any bream or bass. Peacock bass remind me of snook when cooked....

OwlRNothing

I've been thinking about making a trip down to Naples to try and catch one. Winter isn't the best time ( or so I'm reading in various places ) but it's the time I have. Might go once in winter and again in spring. Bjrink, I've seen plenty of youtube videos of people fishing along roads and behind people's houses, etc. Any advice on where to fish ( generally speaking ) so I don't get into trouble or tick anyone off? I can't imagine just walking into a neighborhood and fishing around someone's house, but I see it all the time on the good ole internetz.