Still hunting?

ucfireman

What do yall consider "Still hunting"?
I always called walking on the ground slowly and looking for game, hunting while walking, still hunting.

Do yall allow still hunting? YES! Walking around on the ground. I assume you are inquiring about scouting??? If so, YES, but not during "Still Hunting Hours", daybreak to 9:30am and 3:00pm to dark!

I inquired about a club and asked about still hunting, the answer was yes. Then they said walking around was not allowed during "Still hunting hours" dawn to 0930 and 1500 to dark.
Seems we aint talking about the same thing.
What do yall call walking and hunting? Like squirrel or hog hunting?

Blackston

Truthfully I always only separated still hunting and dog hunting…. Dog hunting is dog and everything else is still hunting to me … but after reading posts I realized not everyone thinks this way

slow motion

I always heard still hunting same as the OP. Have to say though it seemed misnamed to me since you're walking albeit slow with lots of pauses.

bany

When you stillhunt you may have the occasion to only cover a few hundred yards in a few hours
if that makes any sense

bany

Theodore S. Van Dyke wrote the book. I thought y’all had to read it to post in this thread:ROFLMAO:
The Still Hunter

bany

What do yall consider "Still hunting"?
I always called walking on the ground slowly and looking for game, hunting while walking, still hunting.

Do yall allow still hunting? YES! Walking around on the ground. I assume you are inquiring about scouting??? If so, YES, but not during "Still Hunting Hours", daybreak to 9:30am and 3:00pm to dark!

I inquired about a club and asked about still hunting, the answer was yes. Then they said walking around was not allowed during "Still hunting hours" dawn to 0930 and 1500 to dark.
Seems we aint talking about the same thing.
What do yall call walking and hunting? Like squirrel or hog hunting?
Apparently that’s when guys are still hunting!

specialk

i like to move when i still hunt....lol....

Hillbilly stalker

Stand hunting is waiting in ambush, still hunting or slip hunting is going in there after them finding sign or animals and taking them. Dog hunting or man driving is pretty self explanatory.

Gator89

To me:

Still hunting = sit in a stand, on a log, in a chair in a blind etc. Go somewhere and sit still.

Slipping, stalking, spot & stalk, etc. = walk slowly through woods looking for game.

Dog hunt: either turn a strike dog loose on fresh track, or someone walks the dogs and creates a ruckus to jump a deer.

Man drive = Multiple folks walk through a block of woods with posters scattered around the block hoping something runs out and by the posters.

Last edited:

transfixer

When I started deer hunting at 15 or 16 back in 76/77 the older guys that taught me referred to "still hunting" as moving so slowly through the woods you were almost still, or if you spotted an animal you remained still till they went on about their business before you slowly moved again,

Stand hunting was just like, picking a likely spot to stand or sit and wait on something to appear

I realize the definition is a little confusing, but that is the way its always been where ever and with who ever I have hunted

ucfireman

I got the feeling that its generational.
Older than say 45 still hunting is stalking or slow walking as defined above.
Younger, still hunting means sitting still.

I'm 51 so I mean as defined.

Gator89

I know some WMA's in FL used to have designated still hunting only areas. In that case still hunting meant, any hunting without dogs running deer, hogs, etc. There

Not sure how squirrel dogs factored into the above situation.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I got the feeling that its generational.
Older than say 45 still hunting is stalking or slow walking as defined above.
Younger, still hunting means sitting still.

I'm 51 so I mean as defined.
Ditto this^^ I’ve always thought still hunting was the same as spot and stalk.

deermaster13

Growing up 'still" hunting was slipping thru the woods. Sitting and waiting was stand hunting far as I always knew. Now a buddy of mines grandpa did school me on the art of 'stand" hunting once. I was put in his "stand" which was some 4x4 rails and 2 2x6 to stand on. No sitting there! When we got back i asked him why he built it like that. very simple answer from an ole man to a 15 year old boy. " It's a stand boy, you supposed to stand".

James12

Truthfully I always only separated still hunting and dog hunting…. Dog hunting is dog and everything else is still hunting to me … but after reading posts I realized not everyone thinks this way

How I grew up knowing it right chenrr