Suggested ratio on deer sausage: using bacon instead of Boston butt

godogs57

Wanted to get back to making deer sausage….its been 25 or so years. Wife getting me a grinder for Christmas. I used to love the flavor of my sausage when I used bacon and Leggs #10. Plan on making it in small batches first to tweak the recipe. 50/50 might be a little much? 60/40?

Thanks in advance for any input. Is Leggs #10 still the gold standard? I like my sausage a little on the warm side…..suggestions?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Wanted to get back to making deer sausage….its been 25 or so years. Wife getting me a grinder for Christmas. I used to love the flavor of my sausage when I used bacon and Leggs #10. Plan on making it in small batches first to tweak the recipe. 50/50 might be a little much? 60/40?

Thanks in advance for any input. Is Leggs #10 still the gold standard? I like my sausage a little on the warm side…..suggestions?
Never made it with bacon, but about 70/30 lean to fat content is usually about what you want. Legg's 10 is about the best I've tried for bulk regular "breakfast sausage." I usually add some red pepper flakes to it to kick it up a little.

fatback

Agreed on the Leggs #10 being the best for breakfast sausage. I usually like a 70-30 or even 75-25 mix for deer sausage of lean to fat. Never used bacon though so not for sure with that. Good luck and post up your results.

Dbender

Leggs changed their packaging this year. I haven't tried any this year. I hope they didn't change anything other than just the packaging.

sportsman94

I would think 60/40 or 70/30 would be a good starting point. I made some with bacon one time because I had it on hand and didn’t care for it. I usually use the legs a little heavy. Instead of doing 25 pounds of sausage like the package says I’ll do 20-21 pounds to the pack. When I added the already seasoned bacon it was too salty for me and the smoked pieces in the bacon made it have some hard parts when chewing. I went back to just using straight fat and even then I really only make sausage out of straight pork since deer sausage comes out too dry for my liking.

Leggs 10 is still my gold standard, but you’ll need to add some heat if you like it

ambush80

I got some bacon ends and pieces one time and mixed it 1:3, bacon to deer. Ran it through the medium plate. My sausage turned out greasy but the deer meat was dry. I prefer Boston butt.

Dbender

Just made some with the new packaging seems to be the same.
Leggs is packaged by weight not volume. One tablespoon weighs ~.4 Oz. This may help with odd meat weight amounts.
I used 8 Tablespoons per 6.5 lbs meat (5 lbs deer and 1.5 lbs pork fat) plus a little more sage and red pepper flakes turned out fine for my taste.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Following

kmaxwell3

I did a 70/30 last week with Boston Butt. Used Leggs #10. Turned out good. Next time I would do a 60/40 if using Boston butts.

Latest posts