Deer Sausage

kmaxwell3

So I am going to be making deer breakfast sausage this weekend. I bought Leggs #10 seasoning for it. I usually do a 80/20 deer meat to boston butt mix ratio. Any body try a 50/50 ratio on meat? I see on YouTube most people do 50/50. Just curious. Thanks!

specialk

I usually hit about 20-30% b butts to deer ratio....never went 50/50...

sportsman94

Probably depends on how you like your sausage too. I like a fattier sausage and very rarely make deer sausage because it comes out to dry for me. That’s just adding fat. I’ve never mixed in actual meat from pork. If you’re used to and like a leaner sausage then I’m betting 50/50 might be greasier than you like

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
So I am going to be making deer breakfast sausage this weekend. I bought Leggs #10 seasoning for it. I usually do a 80/20 deer meat to boston butt mix ratio. Any body try a 50/50 ratio on meat? I see on YouTube most people do 50/50. Just curious. Thanks!
I’ve tried 50/50…….its good tasting and more greasy like you’d expect but not too greasy.

My preference is 75/25…….that’s the magic combo for us.

ucfireman

Haven't done venison but gonna take a pack of ground out and mix up some with Leggs 10.
Not gonna mix it with anything but the seasoning, I like a leaner sausage.
I did some pork with a boneless butt and a pork loin, was good and very lean, almost too lean. Also had that loin taste but was good.

Mauser

For my deer sausage if I’m using butts with it I do 50/50
Using pork fat,fresh sausage 80/20 if I’m smoking them 70/30.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Sausage sucks if it doesn't have enough fat in it, plain and simple. Deer has 0 fat. If I'm making deer sausage, I usually mix about 25%-30% straight pork fat with the deer. Boston butt is usually only around 20%-25% fat ratio, so you're adding a lot more lean meat than you are fat if you're using pork meat and not straight pork fat. I have actually made dry, sucky sausage a time or two from lean boston butts (All pork, no deer meat added,) that could have used more fat using 100% butt.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Sausage sucks if it doesn't have enough fat in it, plain and simple. Deer has 0 fat. If I'm making deer sausage, I usually mix about 25%-30% straight pork fat with the deer. Boston butt is usually only around 20%-25% fat ratio, so you're adding a lot more lean meat than you are fat if you're using pork meat and not straight pork fat. I have actually made dry, sucky sausage a time or two from lean boston butts (All pork, no deer meat added,) that could have used more fat using 100% butt.

I've had good luck with a 50/50 boston butt/venison blend but if you leave your stuffed cases on too much heat for too long your sausage is gonna come out dry for sure.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Ended up with 42 lbs of sausage. Came out to a 70/30 mix. Used almost 2 packs of Leggs #10 and a little salt. It's very good. Probably do 60/40 next round.
Looks Good!!!!