Summer Time Stripers

Sumter

Hope everyone is enjoying their long weekend.

I’ve never caught a striper before, and was wondering about targeting them at night since it’s so hot. Do they move up/get more shallow at night in the summer? Is it a good time of year to target with big spoons and jigs? Or is it a waste of time?

across the river

I’ve never caught a striper before, and was wondering about targeting them at night since it’s so hot. Do they move up/get more shallow at night in the summer? Is it a good time of year to target with big spoons and jigs? Or is it a waste of time?

Where are you wanting to fish?

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Striped bass season is closed down here in Southwest Georgia through the summer.

• Flint, Chattahoochee and Spring Creeks: The Flint River and its tributaries from the Georgia Power Co. dams at Albany to the US Hwy 84 bridge; the Chattahoochee River and its tributaries from the Columbia Lock and Dam to the GA Hwy 91 bridge; and Spring Creek and its tributaries downstream to GA Hwy 253 are CLOSED to striped bass fishing and spear fishing from May 1–October 31 each year.

across the river

Best option is Blue back herring, a lot of idle time looking for big schools on the electronics. In my experience they are very nomadic, moving with the bait.

Did you read the pet where he said he was fishing Carters Lake?

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Did you read the pet where he said he was fishing Carters Lake?
Not sure what "pet" is.

Stripers are the same. No matter the lake or ocean. Right now in Lanier, spoons are great. You can fish them deep. TV fish them. Watch them drop on your graph until they hit the tree lines. Jig them back up.

Carters is no different. Get on the lake early and try to find fish. They'll hit top water before the sun comes up. And run downlines with Herring or what bait you have. 30 to 50ft. Watch your graph.

Sumter, ignore a few folks on here. Some folks need to surface to grab air. Good luck and tight lines.

across the river

Not sure what "pet" is.

Stripers are the same. No matter the lake or ocean. Right now in Lanier, spoons are great. You can fish them deep. TV fish them. Watch them drop on your graph until they hit the tree lines. Jig them back up.

Carters is no different. Get on the lake early and try to find fish. They'll hit top water before the sun comes up. And run downlines with Herring or what bait you have. 30 to 50ft. Watch your graph.

Sumter, ignore a few folks on here. Some folks need to surface to grab air. Good luck and tight lines.

It was typed on a phone, and it was part, which you knew. Bluebacks aren't legal in Carter's, so it is different. Advising someone to take bluebacks to a lake they aren't legal in isn't sound advice.

Browning Slayer

Typed on phone, and it was part, which you knew. Bluebacks aren't legal in Carter's, so it is different. Advising someone to take bluebacks to a lake they aren't legal in isn't sound advice.
Thanks.:rolleyes:

I also added "what bait you HAVE" To think there are no Herring in Carters is a fools bet. You can catch them with a cast net. Next thing you'll tell me is they aren't in Blue Ridge.

You talk a ton of crap. And NEVER post a fishing report. Or pics of fish. Do you even fish?

Post a thread here and there. Cause you are nothing but talk. When's the last time you actually started a thread with your own pics? Pfffttttt...

help the man out. Or just continue to blow your horn.

@Sumter, please ignore ATR...

Last edited:

Browning Slayer

@across the river

Lets see a Carters fishing report from you.. Heck.. Any fishing report.

across the river

Thanks Lampern, Jr.:rolleyes:

I also added "what bait you HAVE" To think there are no Herring in Carters is a fools bet. You can catch them with a cast net. Next thing you'll tell me is they aren't in Blue Ridge.

You talk a ton of crap. And NEVER post a fishing report. Or pics of fish. Do you even fish?

Post a thread here and there. Cause you are nothing but talk. When's the last time you actually started a thread with your own pics? Pfffttttt...

help the man out. Or just continue to blow your horn.

@Sumter, please ignore ATR...

My response about Carters was to the guy who recommended he use bluebacks, and had nothing to do with you. I had also already sent him a PM trying to help him out a day or two ago. I just wouldn’t want to see the guy mistakenly take bluebacks to a lake they weren’t allowed on though. The regs are the regs regardless of opinions. I will bow out now though, since you seem to have it all under control.

Browning Slayer

My response about Carters was to the guy who recommended he use bluebacks, and had nothing to do with you. I had also already sent him a PM trying to help him out a day or two ago. I just wouldn’t want to see the guy mistakenly take bluebacks to a lake they weren’t allowed on though. The regs are the regs regardless of opinions. I will bow out now though, since you seem to have it all under control.
No fish pics? Tell us about your reports…

westcobbdog

If the OP is on the north side of town I like the bait store in downtown Acworth formerly striper soup who may have blue backs. Carters is beautiful with mostly lighter boat traffic but clear as an aquarium. Up where to river flows into it are a large group of trees peeking above the water that hold fish with a few cool waterfalls nearby.

Liquid nails

In this heat my goal is to night fish. The bite at first light is normally pretty good but disappears quickly once the sun comes up. I love to fish at dusk up till 1am or so. When everyone else is leaving the lake that’s when I’m backing the trailer in the water. I fish as shallow as I can but still have my bait in that cool water. Normally I never fish below 40’ deep. Last Saturday we was in 32’ of water. The bite is extended during dusk on into dark where as the morning bite is short and over with quick in the dog days of summer.

I like to find a channel edge with structure, hump, creek mouth, ect and set up on it and don’t move. Cut bait. Be it gizzards, bluebacks, whatever those boys are feeding on in the lake your in will work. I love gizzards. I think they are in every lake/river in the south. You just have to have patience. Sometimes they are there and sometimes they aren’t. We left them biting at 1am last week but I had to get some sleep before church Sunday morning.

Good luck on the stripes!

Ajohnson0587

Oh boy, I really started a ****ing match lol. To the OP, my apologies on the BBH, I was not aware that they are illegal on Carters, as I have never fished Carters. Shad or a spoon as mention will be the next best option for that lake. If you’re on the water early enough, I’ve had great success on other lakes with a walking bait to target striper.

Sumter

All, thanks a ton for the info! And no worries about the blue back info, I always do my best to read up on regulations before fishing a new body of water just to be sure.

Sorry for not updating earlier, I reset my chrome info and got logged out and couldn’t remember my login information until now. I went out and put in at the ramp nearest the dam. I’m fishing out of a 16’ boat with an entry level Garmin sonar. My setup currently could not see the spoons after about 20’ below the boat. I was on the water an hour or so before dark and idled around for a while. I definitely found some marks that had to be stripers but never a huge amount. Jigged spoons when I found marks and no bites. Off the water around 12:30am.

I do plan on making this a regular thing though in hopes of learning the lake and hopefully put some stripers in the boat with some of this info. Unfortunately, live bait may be out of the equation as I don’t have a live well. Looks like cut bait and artificials will be my go to baits.

nkbigdog

Hunting stripers on Carters is hard to do in this heat..Early am I have found best and in deep water..If using live bait I used Gizzard shad or thread fin..I normally went down to the re-reg **** for them with a cast net..During the colder months I use Rainbow trout..

pbradley

We put in on the lower end of Lanier with a guide service this morning. Hit a dozen or so locations with (6) rods downlining live bluebacks. Got (1) striper.

Ran up the lake a little ways and trolled Captain Mack's jigs for a little while and caught two more, one of which my wife caught.

20220717_171752.jpg