Tactacam Problem

fredw

Retired Moderator
My Tactacam will take a photo and transmit the photo while in set up mode. When the camera is on, it takes a photo, stores on the SD card, but doesn't transmit. So...in the test mode I get the pic but when the camera is on I don't.

I've "talked with Ed", Tactacam's robot support. Ed walked me thru problem determination which involved sending a test photo. When I told Ed that worked he was happy and went away. I was left with my problem.

I have connectivity. Batteries are new and show 100% charge.

Anyone have any thoughts? Know how to get in touch with a human at Tactacam? I've sent two emails but no response yet.

glynr329

Turn off, take card out then remove batteries for 5 or 10 min. then replace all and see what happens.

Sixes

Does the camera have the newest update? When I reactivated mine recently, it had a module error. I updated the software, which took maybe 2 minutes to download on an SD card and install into the camera, and after the update, I have had no issues.

Anthony61

BANNED
Pull the SD card. Are there photos on the SD card but not sent? This would mean that the camera is functioning but failing to send for some reason. If there are no photos on the card, even after walk tests, then either it is a sensing issue or it can't write to the SD card.

Is the initial photo taken in test mode written to the SD card or sent from memory? If from memory then your issue is likely SD card. I would swap SD cards and try again.

shdw633

I had the same issue on my Tactacam last year and it was the SD card. The camera is very sensitive to the SD card that you use and if it's not right type of card it will not transmit the photo.

buckpasser

I’ve got one X that’s doing what you described Mr Fred. If you call “Ed” when you open the link on your smartphone press speak with a representative. Then you get a real live human. Mine seems to just be faulty so they’re replacing it. BTW, mine did work for a couple weeks before this. Not sure what went wrong but it can be a headache trying to self diagnose.

Dupree

I had my first problem with a Tactacam today. One of my cams sends a “pic”, but it won’t open. It started around 2am with this camera. Battieries have less than 500 pics on them, and it’s been working fine in this spot since may. 9B211DA7-A7F1-4B85-BDAA-E06F5D665354.png

Anthony61

BANNED
Most likley the JPG is corrupt and this can indicate issues with an SD card. Replace the SD card. Bring the old card home and format with Windows but uncheck the "Quick format" option. allow it to perform a low level format.

I would also avoid those micro SD with sleeve types that are so cheap at Walmart. They are nothing but trouble.

rosewood

I had my first problem with a Tactacam today. One of my cams sends a “pic”, but it won’t open. It started around 2am with this camera. Battieries have less than 500 pics on them, and it’s been working fine in this spot since may. View attachment 1095837
Could that be weak batteries? Or is that low battery symbol on your phone?

Rosewood

Dupree

Could that be weak batteries? Or is that low battery symbol on your phone?

Rosewood
That is the battery Gauge for my phone. I’m running energizer lithiums in my cams. When they say anything below 100% they are on last leg.

Hvacguy

My Tactacam will take a photo and transmit the photo while in set up mode. When the camera is on, it takes a photo, stores on the SD card, but doesn't transmit. So...in the test mode I get the pic but when the camera is on I don't.

I've "talked with Ed", Tactacam's robot support. Ed walked me thru problem determination which involved sending a test photo. When I told Ed that worked he was happy and went away. I was left with my problem.

I have connectivity. Batteries are new and show 100% charge.

Anyone have any thoughts? Know how to get in touch with a human at Tactacam? I've sent two emails but no response yet.
When you call tactacam tell the Ed robot that you want to talk to an associate, you might have to do this two or three times when he asks you questions but he will transfer you to a person as long as it is within the hours they are open.

Quick question, what is your signal strength? I have one that has been doing the same thing but it is because my connection is too weak. On signal strength it says always says weak which is not enough for it to send pics properly. There are antennae’s you get for em though.

fredw

Retired Moderator
Does the camera have the newest update? When I reactivated mine recently, it had a module error. I updated the software, which took maybe 2 minutes to download on an SD card and install into the camera, and after the update, I have had no issues.
Sixes, it does.

fredw

Retired Moderator
Pull the SD card. Are there photos on the SD card but not sent? This would mean that the camera is functioning but failing to send for some reason. If there are no photos on the card, even after walk tests, then either it is a sensing issue or it can't write to the SD card.

Is the initial photo taken in test mode written to the SD card or sent from memory? If from memory then your issue is likely SD card. I would swap SD cards and try again.
w
Anthony61, camera is writing to the sd card but not transmitting. Interesting enough, when I did a test pic, it wrote to the card and transmitted.

fredw

Retired Moderator
I had the same issue on my Tactacam last year and it was the SD card. The camera is very sensitive to the SD card that you use and if it's not right type of card it will not transmit the photo.
I verified I have the right SD card.

fredw

Retired Moderator
I’ve got one X that’s doing what you described Mr Fred. If you call “Ed” when you open the link on your smartphone press speak with a representative. Then you get a real live human. Mine seems to just be faulty so they’re replacing it. BTW, mine did work for a couple weeks before this. Not sure what went wrong but it can be a headache trying to self diagnose.
buckpasser, I finally got in touch with Tactacam Bill, a real human! He walked me through several steps and, when the camera didn't work, arranged for me to return it.

fredw

Retired Moderator
When you call tactacam tell the Ed robot that you want to talk to an associate, you might have to do this two or three times when he asks you questions but he will transfer you to a person as long as it is within the hours they are open.

Quick question, what is your signal strength? I have one that has been doing the same thing but it is because my connection is too weak. On signal strength it says always says weak which is not enough for it to send pics properly. There are antennae’s you get for em though.
Signal strength is very strong. That was true in the woods and it's even stronger now that I have the camera here at the house.