Need help on external battery hook up for Tactacam XPro

Mackie889

Hi everyone … hope I can get some help here. I love my Tactacams, but hate the battery life. I thought I’d fix that problem with the rechargeable lithium ion battery packs that Tactacams have available. Those don’t last long either. I have my cameras set to transmit twice each day and also have the picture quality set low which sucks because I get grainy pics and they still only last a couple of weeks between charges. I was wanting to buy a 7-10 amp hour Lithium Iron Phosphate battery for each camera (the ones with the battery management system integrated in the battery). I’ve seen YouTube videos where people buy waterproof boxes to store the batteries in, but is this really necessary? I was wondering if I could just epoxy a u bolt (or large wire) on the back of the battery to hang it on the tree near each camera. Wouldn’t this work? I would think the batteries were waterproof anyways. What else would I need to attach the battery to the camera? Would I just use a standard 14-16 gauge red and black wire that runs between the battery and the + and - on the battery tray, or would I need a wire like the one that comes with a solar panel that had the fitting to push into the camera’s receptacle and just cut the other end and attach it to the battery? Does anyone know what the size of the fitting is that goes into the camera’s port? Thanks for any help!

I have 7 tactacams. I have eternal battery boxes on them all. I built my own. Been out since may. Have taken close to 50,000 pictures and all are still 100 percent battery.
You can goto herd360 they sell a battery box kit for your cameras.
Get mighty max batteries from amazon 12 volt 15ah rechargeable. Charge them once and last all year. Mine were all set on instant send times and instant settings changed. It takes about 60 dollars for the box cables and batteries. You more than save that by not having to buy batteries. Search under my name about threads and post. You can see my battery box set ups and all that stuff

cowhornedspike

I use the 12ah gel cell batteries and the small plastic ammo boxes from Harbor Freight. No fancy port for the wire out of the box...just a small notch at the top edge that the lid still closes over and keeps the rain out.
Bought the pigtail ends from amazon and just use crimp on spade connectors at the battery end of the wire. Lasts a loooong time and don't have much cost in them.
I also run regular AA batts and once the external battery gets down to needing a charge, the camera will start to show a number below 100%. It keeps going on the AA's until I get there to switch out the battery with a fresh one.

Mackie889

I use the 12ah gel cell batteries and the small plastic ammo boxes from Harbor Freight. No fancy port for the wire out of the box...just a small notch at the top edge that the lid still closes over and keeps the rain out.
Bought the pigtail ends from amazon and just use crimp on spade connectors at the battery end of the wire. Lasts a loooong time and don't have much cost in them.
I also run regular AA batts and once the external battery gets down to needing a charge, the camera will start to show a number below 100%. It keeps going on the AA's until I get there to switch out the battery with a fresh one.
What “pigtails” do you use. I understand the spade connection end, but how do you attach the wire to the camera? Do you use the “plug” that you push into the camera’s port, or do you solder the wires to the + and - on the camera’s battery tray? Thanks for your help!

Deerhead

If you have full sun consider their solar charger. My camera has been out for 18mo and is still fully charged. I have alkaline batteries and the solar charger. Camera is set to send pictures instantly. Good Luck

cowhornedspike

What “pigtails” do you use. I understand the spade connection end, but how do you attach the wire to the camera? Do you use the “plug” that you push into the camera’s port, or do you solder the wires to the + and - on the camera’s battery tray? Thanks for your help!
I get these from Amazon and plug it into the port in the bottom of the cam. These cams are designed to run off of the external first and only switch over to the internal batteries after the external is below the preset voltage limit.

Njuone 10PCS 4.0mm x 1.7mm DC Power Pigtail Cable Male Connectors DC Cable for CCTV Security Camera Power Adapter Connectors​

This box
Plano Field Box https://a.co/d/5xA7rre

This battery
Mighty Max Battery ML15-12 - 12 Volt 15 AH, F2 Terminal, Rechargeable SLA AGM Battery https://a.co/d/gPloMKs

This cord

Or this setup plus above battery

Mackie889

I get these from Amazon and plug it into the port in the bottom of the cam. These cams are designed to run off of the external first and only switch over to the internal batteries after the external is below the preset voltage limit.

Njuone 10PCS 4.0mm x 1.7mm DC Power Pigtail Cable Male Connectors DC Cable for CCTV Security Camera Power Adapter Connectors​

Awesome Thanks!

Thanks everyone for the replies! Lots of great info given. I really appreciate it and am looking forward to my external battery projects for my Tactacams
You won’t be disappointed.. I’m going on 4 months still 100 percent battery on all of mine. I have couple solar panels. They work good in fields or open areas where you get a lot sunlight . They don’t work well in wooded shaded areas due to lack of sunlight.

Latest posts