My Trailcam Beat The Heck Out Of Me.....

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
IN THE INTEREST OF DISCLOSURE ABOUT THIS CAMERA THAT HAS TAKEN SOME REALLY NICE PHOTOS...WELL THIS IS THE TRUTH, THE WHOLE TRUTH AND NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH........

Last Saturday, I pulled the cards from about 40 of my cameras. When I got to this particular camera, as usual, I always check the battery level of power on the screen. Well when I checked this one, it was showing just about "dead batteries" inside. Then it started flashing "NO CARD" also. I was so mad that BEFORE I removed this camera from the tree, I just closed it back up, I then took my hand and knocked the heck out of it (because I thought that I had just changed these batteries only 3 months ago in this camera). The camera was still attached to the tree so I stepped back and then planted my right foot boot onto this camera on the tree and it knocked it off onto the ground. All this time, I was cursing a "blue-streak" too because I thought that it had failed so soon. Then, I just decided to bring it home as I didn't have another replacement camera with me. The fact is, my right hand still hurts like crazy because it cut the skin in the palm of my hand and was still bleeding some up to Monday. My right foot has still hurt for the past few days as well because of my stupidity.

As usual, I got home and started to check the "old expired" batteries to know what level of energy was left on that particular camera location because I also record that information on every set of batteries that I use for each camera location. I keep them in a "snack size Ziploc bag with a note of which camera location that were removed from with the dates included.

Imagine my surprise when I looked on the side of these batteries and it had an installation date written on each one these AA Quantums showed 8/25/19 on. I got my notebook out and flipped to that camera location page and sure enough it showed that I had installed this brand new WGI Crush Illusion camera, model i10i20, originally back on 6/9/2018 with Quantums and then they were changed out about 14 months later back on 8/25/19 and this used set of batteries checked at 1.30-1.36 Volts remaining and that is about the same life that I had previously gotten on this camera on the very first set. This used set of 8 batteries that had been installed on 8/25/19 checked at .90-.91 Volts remaining. (Just for the record, I also check EVERY new battery right out of the package to make sure that it has between 1.60-1.62 Volts in it initially.)

What a fool that I am. After doing all of this checking and installing new batteries I immediately put ONLY the "3rd" new set of batteries in and then the memory card and turned it on and it is taking photos again like nothing ever happened.

I made a promise to myself to never use violence against any of my trailcams in the future as I am lucky that I didn't break my hand and or possibly my right foot in this assault Saturday afternoon.

ps: Yes, I have been guilty of having thoughts a couple of times over these last 10 years to see what one of my .40 caliber Glocks would do right in the center lens compartment with FMJ or HP !!! :pop::pop:

This is the culprit below and it doesn't look like it was even touched as such.....so I am glad that I didn't shatter it into 100 pieces in my actions. I wish that I had 100 more cameras just like this exact model as they do take excellent photos and I would love to have more of this model BUT they are really hard to find for sure.

Don't forget if you click on this photo, it will enlarge it to full screen size for much better details.

WGI  CRUSH ILLUSION 10 MP   10-7-20 001.JPG

Last edited:

rosewood

I found out a long time ago that any object harder than flesh should not be struck with bare knuckles.;)
I learned that by observing others, no need to test it out...

rosewood

Well, Eagle, glad the camera survived...

Glad you didn't have to work on your insurance deductible too.