Talk me out of a recurve

menhadenman

what did you decide @menhadenman ?
Shoot, I hadn't pulled the trigger yet but need to. I was noodling on some of the lower end options but seeing many of them are made overseas. A local friend told me to go check out the archery shop in Hiawassee (I think it's called Eagle Mt) - said the guy knows his stuff and I should talk with him before making a purchase. Will be going after it soon because I need to brush up on my archery since summer will be over before we know it.

rnfarley

Do it! I've never heard of that shop but there are several guys over in the trad archery forum that would help I'm sure. It really brought a lot of year-round fun to hunting for me, and shooting recurves with the kids is a ton of fun.

buckmanmike

You said talk you out of a recurve. Remington, Ruger, and Winchester have been producing alternatives for years.
Just messing with you. Good luck on whatever you want. Lots of choices out there.

strothershwacker

I switched to a recurve after 27 years of compound hunting. After shooting a bear grizzly 45# recurve for 2 weeks I sold my new flagship high dollar compound and never looked back! Since then (2019) I've kilt 8 deer with a recurve or longbow. I'm enjoying hunting and shooting now more than I ever did with a wheelie bow! If you you really wanna enjoy the true essence of bowhuntin BUY THE RECURVE!

Clipper

I bought Samick Sage bows for three of my grandkids and they shoot as good as my more expensive custom bow. Plus, you can buy heavier limbs after you learn to shoot and develop good form and muscles. Best to start with low poundage even though you are probably a strong guy. Maybe 45 lbs which will kill any animal in Georgia. You need to start practicing NOW to be ready for bow season this fall. LIke everyone above said, hunting with a trad bow is just more enjoyable. It is also more challenging. Good luck and hope to see you on some of our TBG hunts this fall. Look up Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia on facebook. Also visit the traditional section of the GON forum. We have a banquet coming up in August where you can meet a lot of the traditional hunters.

elhoward622

Get both. I have recurves, longbows, and compounds and enjoy shooting them all. You really need to focus on traditional if you plan to hunt with it, but who cares as long as you enjoy stretching the string and get satisfaction out of it. I enjoy them all and also enjoy gun season. I like having my compound for when I don’t have a perfect close range setup already in mind or I’m just not shooting well with my trad bow. I also like my 25-06 and my 45-70 ?

menhadenman

Well, Mr. @Troy Butler talked me out of a recurve... and into a nice long bow. Nice guy and really knows his stuff with traditional. He got to watch me wrestle the thing in a parking lot trying to string it but that's the first step to learning. Hopefully I can stick a deer with it before long but I definitely got some practice ahead of me.

Thanks for all the tips fellas, it's almost fall.

the Lackster

Was nice to meet you Josh hope you can kill a deer with it. It is a killer just takes practice. Enjoy man.
Wish I would have seen this sooner! Troy can you point me in the direction of what I might need for my long armed self?

menhadenman

Hey @Troy Butler , been shooting a little bit and able to hit the kill zone on a foam hog target at ten yards without too much embarrassment. Also finally able to string it without looking like a fool. I won’t hunt with it this year but finally taking to practice. Ordered more arrows (same as you gave me) and some different weight field points from 3 Rivers. Thanks again for getting me rolling and good luck in the woods this year.