Taurus defender 856

bighonkinjeep

Search the internet for Taurus 856 problems. It seems to be the same list of problems that have plauged the model 85s since they came out many years ago. Most of which Ive experienced first hand with a couple of different model 85s. The comments about the single.action cylinder lockup didnt apply to mine as one was a CH model double action only and still locked up multiple times. Blaming the lockup on being dirty also doesnt apply unless 5 rounds of white box stopping it cold count as dirty. All I can say about the Taurus brand is there are.several options by other manufacturers in the same price range that dont have the well deserved reputation for stoppage and breakage that Taurus has.
Good luck
PS Im not aware of a Taurus ever appreciating in value over the last xouple of decades while most every other brand certainly has... Hmmm...

Last edited:
I’ve got one.
I’m really impressed. Fit, finish, accuracy, and trigger is equal or better than the last few S&W’s I’ve bought.

Mine shoots POA/POI at 7yds with a 148gr wadcutters at 700fps.
I had a couple of $100 gift cards and a $20off any 100+ item at Academy Sports. Put remaining balance on Academy c/c for another 5%off.
Mine is the stainless steel. Heavy little chunk! In retrospect I should have gotten the lightweight (aluminum frame).
I like that it’s got a 6-shot cylinder. Colt Detective Special and Cobra 6-shot speed loaders are a perfect fit.

I carry it in a fanny bag with 2-speed loaders...
friend of mine has a Blue version. He likes his too.

Since home office is in Bainbridge, you can practically set it on the CEO’s desk and demand he fix it. IF it ever breaks.

First DA revolver I’ve ever bought that didn’t get taken apart and worked on to either lighten springs or smooth the trigger.

rosewood

I’ve got one.
I’m really impressed. Fit, finish, accuracy, and trigger is equal or better than the last few S&W’s I’ve bought.

Mine shoots POA/POI at 7yds with a 148gr wadcutters at 700fps.
I had a couple of $100 gift cards and a $20off any 100+ item at Academy Sports. Put remaining balance on Academy c/c for another 5%off.
Mine is the stainless steel. Heavy little chunk! In retrospect I should have gotten the lightweight (aluminum frame).
I like that it’s got a 6-shot cylinder. Colt Detective Special and Cobra 6-shot speed loaders are a perfect fit.

I carry it in a fanny bag with 2-speed loaders...
friend of mine has a Blue version. He likes his too.

Since home office is in Bainbridge, you can practically set it on the CEO’s desk and demand he fix it. IF it ever breaks.

First DA revolver I’ve ever bought that didn’t get taken apart and worked on to either lighten springs or smooth the trigger.
Good to hear. I have lots of Taurus handguns and haven't had any issues. However, I have seen some of those bad reviews on the 856 on utube, but seems those may have been bad examples and not the rule.

I was kind of hoping the move to Bainbridge would improve on their quality, but looks like it may still be hit and miss on some items. My GX4 and TX22 have been great guns and the GX4 rivals the Springfield and Sig in that arena on fit and finish.

Rosewood

I now own 5 Taurus products, if you count a Heritage Arms Rough Rider (6” adj sights) and Ranch Hand (16”bbl and butt stock).
A G2C 9mm, M76 .32 H&Rmag, and Mod-856 .38spl.

The M76 shoots like a laser beam
11.3gr of Hod Lil’Gun under Hornady 100gr XTP in Starline.32mag brass @1,300fps. (25yds from sand bag rest)
Nary a problem with any of them.

Attachments

• 838A0431-5B21-475E-8E7E-3513F625070C.jpeg
    838A0431-5B21-475E-8E7E-3513F625070C.jpeg
    128.1 KB · Views: 1
  • BA06916D-E534-4F08-A80C-6662014A2FC2.jpeg
    BA06916D-E534-4F08-A80C-6662014A2FC2.jpeg
    191.8 KB · Views: 1