Taurus getting into the rifle game

Robert28

A near $1,000 rifle from Taurus is going to require a big leap of faith by potential buyers.

I won't be one of them....mainly because I'm simply not in the market for a new rifle.

Then....there is still a pile of hesitation brought on by Taurus's past Quality Assurance & Customer Service blunders....severe enough to have me gun shy for a long, long time.
I’m fine dropping $200 on a G3c and if I get a bad one, oh well. I don’t have the confidence to drop $1000 on a Taurus though, I expect way too much at that price point and I don’t think they can deliver.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Why is it mandatory rifles be butt ugly these days. I‘m sure not spending money on an ugly Taurus.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
As far as cheaper rifles, have you seen or held one of the new Savage/stevens rifles? walnut for under 400 bucks. Saw one in person the other day.

That, I'll probably buy... Negative on the Taurus.

B. White

I wouldn't buy one at this point in history, simply because I can setup a Howa much cheaper and already know what they will do. There are too many cheap options right now.

As far as all other general comments, I'll be the odd one and offer to take any inferior PT940s as pictured off your hand at a good price. I think I have 3-4 semis and revolvers I picked up a long time ago that have never had a problem.

1706053727745.jpeg

earlthegoat2

As far as cheaper rifles, have you seen or held one of the new Savage/stevens rifles? walnut for under 400 bucks. Saw one in person the other day.

It’s a 10 footer IMO.

Held one the other day.

You know when you can just tell when tools are made in China? They have a certain feel, and…..smell. It might look and work great even but there is just that other stuff that sours you on it.

Well that is one of those guns you can just tell it is made in Turkey. The feel, that classic Turkish blackish metal finish, and…you guessed it….the smell.

I would buy one second hand.

menhadenman

Why is it mandatory rifles be butt ugly these days. I‘m sure not spending money on an ugly Taurus.

You made me finally open the link... kinda like when you're cousin says he's dating a rough looking woman from Hyde County. You don't really want to see it but part of you needs the reference.

They woulda been much better off taking the Mossberg route with something that resembles a rifle worthy of $350 and put them on the rack at Walmart so someone might accidentally purchase one.

I'm pretty sure Savage and Ruger have the entry level rifles covered. And if anyone is inclined to drop money at the next tier they'd be crazy to not grab an X Bolt or T3X.

Dub

I'm gathering the parts now to assemble a rifle this spring....

It is so ugly that I've come around to admiring it and getting enthused by its simplicity and function. It's a one-trick pony but it hopefully is well purposed solely for such.

I sure hope it plays well with the other sticks when placed into the dark confines of the gun safe. :rofl:

Last edited:

WaltL1

That is one ugly rifle.

transfixer

Saw a couple videos recently about those, touting the accuracy of them, I'd definitely buy one of those before I'd buy a rifle from Taurus !

killerv

How'd it look? I saw one in the G&A or maybe Rifleman magazine the other day.
Looked fine, didn't like the picatinny rail on a wood gun, need to come threaded also. Store said they could sale the wood for 389ish, the synthetic which I haven't held or seen yet in person has a cheaper msrp so I'm curious what it would sale for.

Taurus did make some nice 22 rifles not so long ago, had some good winchester copies.

rosewood

I wouldn't buy one at this point in history, simply because I can setup a Howa much cheaper and already know what they will do. There are too many cheap options right now.

As far as all other general comments, I'll be the odd one and offer to take any inferior PT940s as pictured off your hand at a good price. I think I have 3-4 semis and revolvers I picked up a long time ago that have never had a problem.

View attachment 1284757
Always wanted that model. Haven't seen one in years.