TC Contender.

frankwright

Yes, they are a ball to shoot and can be deadly accurate.
I have one in 7-30 Waters, used to be 14" but I cut it to 10".

GregoryB.

Love shooting my Contender. I have several pistol and rifle barrels for it. Thinking of cutting my 30-30 Rifle barrel down to pistol length since the short rifle stock doesn't fit me well at 6ft1.

rosewood

Love shooting my Contender. I have several pistol and rifle barrels for it. Thinking of cutting my 30-30 Rifle barrel down to pistol length since the short rifle stock doesn't fit me well at 6ft1.

Do not cut that rifle barrel. Buy a pistol barrel. The carbine barrels are bringing a mint these days. Pistol barrels are still reasonable. You will be cutting off $100 or more if you cut it less than 16".

Rosewood

GregoryB.

Thanks for the heads up Rosewood. Looked at a few pistol barrels on GunBroker and Ebay this weekend. The 7x30 Waters still peaks my interest.

rosewood

Thanks for the heads up Rosewood. Looked at a few pistol barrels on GunBroker and Ebay this weekend. The 7x30 Waters still peaks my interest.
I really like the 7-30. One of my favorite calibers. I hope you reload though, factory fodder isn't easy to find. I saw a 14" the other day for like $150. If I can find it, I will let you know. I had to pay like $225 when I bought my 14". I do recommend the 14" for muzzle blast reasons. The 10" just makes a lot more noise. You use 30-30 brass to make the 7-30 waters brass. Quite easy to do.

Rosewood

rosewood

Rosewood, I do reload. If you remember where you saw that barrel let me know. Thanks.
I have been looking but haven't found where I saw it yet.

rosewood

GunnSmokeer

I had a Contender, made in 1976. The amount of finger pressure it needed to break the action open was ridiculous. I hear the newer versions have fixed that problem.
Yes, they were accurate.
What a hair trigger. One of the best I've ever had on any gun.
I had a .22LR barrel, a .30-30 barrel, and a .44 mag barrel. All ten-inch length.

rosewood

I had a Contender, made in 1976. The amount of finger pressure it needed to break the action open was ridiculous. I hear the newer versions have fixed that problem.

That was the original frame. They came out with what is called an "easy open" frame. They moved the pivot pin from the front of the action to the just over the trigger. Solved that issue. Also, for a while TC would convert your older frame to an "easy open" for a fee, but when S&W bought them out, they stopped doing that. I have one I wanted converted, but am stuck with it. I waited too long. The newer G2s and the Encores were always "easy open". But the Contenders have better triggers than the G2s from the factory.

Rosewood

carver

Have contender in .223
0911180835[535][1].jpg
And a Encore in 7mm.08
0911180833[536][1].jpg

Lilly001

I have a Contender addiction.
But I’ve lately been going into large bore revolvers.
But I’ll never part with my Contenders.

Attachments

• 20170513_214123.jpeg
    20170513_214123.jpeg
    205.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20170513_214104.jpeg
    20170513_214104.jpeg
    203.8 KB · Views: 8

Robust Redhorse

I had one in .44 Magnum many moons ago.

I traded it in (plus boot) for a S&W 629.

I wish I had the Contender back...

I have never had buyer's remorse for a gun that lasted over a week.

I've had seller's remorse a few times that has lasted for decades!

Seminole Wind

Contenders were my only hunting handgun for a couple of decades, but have been replaced by revolvers for the past few years. The Contenders in my safe will probably attract my interest again because they are such good hunters.

This one in 309 JDJ has taken many deer in it’s day.

Attachments

• IMG_0345.jpeg
    IMG_0345.jpeg
    196.7 KB · Views: 14

Seminole Wind

The more I look at old photos with this Contender the more I want to take it out and shoot it again.

Attachments

• IMG_0346.jpeg
    IMG_0346.jpeg
    276.7 KB · Views: 15

gemihur

That is a fine looking pistol.
I'm a big fan of 444 based cartridges
I shoot the 308 Bellm, that is close to the 309 JDJ
I love the BOOM
on a lighter note, the Herretts are fun also
Herrett wearing Herrett.jpg

Reactions: FFg

pacecars

I love my Contenders in .250 Savage, .375 JDJ and .45/410 (now with straight rifling and screw in choke)