Teaching kids to shoot...Am I doing it wrong?

Wifeshusband

I agree with some of the others about starting with small game, which is generally how it was done in the 60's and 70's before deer hunting really took off. For me it was 16 ga for just about everything, but, without my father's interference, I gravitated to rifles--generally the smaller calibers. Some of the indoor ranges around Atlanta, like the one in Hiram, will let you on the firing line with a .243. They draw the line at that caliber. Practice and safety were drilled into me by my father like a Marine DI. So glad you're taking the time with him.

LittleDrummerBoy

To me, starting youths on deer is like starting them on bass or striper before bluegill - nothing wrong with it. Often it comes down to the available time and hunting opportunities. Most of the youths I've taught to hunt started on deer.

I've also used the NRA Marksmanship Qualification program to good effect. It can be administered by any adult and is a structured program with various courses of fire for different disciplines. It increases the level of difficulty gradually and (in my experience) builds skills quickly and allows a good record of progress. Less formal shooting is fine, but I have a harder time remembering proficiency and progress when I'm working with a number of youths simultaneously. Checking the notebook to see that little Johnny just made sharpshooter in the Light Rifle Program tells me instantly where he is and what to do next.

The important thing with youths is that they have an indicator of the level of success with each shot. Blasting shot after shot quickly downrange may be fun enough, but progress will be more quick if they know if they need to adjust their approach.