The backyard griddle is gonna be a learning experience

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Maiden voyage on the Blackstone was more than edible, but a pain in my backside. Will take me a while to get used to temps and seasonings and cleaning afterwards.

Went with smash burgers and some store bought kabobs. The burgers were fine but maybe a little over seasoned since they cook in their own fat and no drippings. Hard a hard time getting the kabobs to cook evenly but think I got it ok.

The burger leftovers stuck a bit more than I expected, but I was able to sear it off afterwards and then "season" the thing one more time at cleanup.

I'll get it figured out and no one complained about the taste, but this would have been easier on the danged grill :ROFLMAO:

20220627_182919.jpg20220627_185356.jpg

tr21

did you season the griddle good before starting ? i still see a lot of areas that aren't seasoned on the back and sides. and you tube is your friend for tips on both recipes and tips on how to use your blackstone ! Todd Toven and the waltwins are 2 that I follow . you will love it when you get the hang of it.....

RedHills

Self Banned after losing a Noles bet.
When I quit trying to cook too hot, it got better. Cleanup is pretty ez, but ya gotta do it before you sit down to eat! Quart jar of water right after the last item comes off. Steam it clean basically. I rarely put anything to the surface except a wet rag. You'll go thru a lot of rags over time. Scrub it down with the rag and spatula tool. Wipe it till its clean then oil it down.....then go eat :) ps...I dont like my griddle in the summertime!

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
did you season the griddle good before starting ? i still see a lot of areas that aren't seasoned on the back and sides. and you tube is your friend for tips on both recipes and tips on how to use your blackstone ! Todd Toven and the waltwins are 2 that I follow . you will love it when you get the hang of it.....

I hit it 4 or 5 rounds of seasoning on Wednesday following the Blackstone video. I'll check those to channels out. Thx!

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
When I quit trying to cook too hot, it got better. Cleanup is pretty ez, but ya gotta do it before you sit down to eat! Quart jar of water right after the last item comes off. Steam it clean basically. I rarely put anything to the surface except a wet rag. You'll go thru a lot of rags over time. Scrub it down with the rag and spatula tool. Wipe it till its clean then oil it down.....then go eat :) ps...I dont like my griddle in the summertime!

Definitely toasty cleaning the thing off ?

S.Tanner

I know people are crazy about those things, but I bought one and sold it in short order. I spent a fair amount of time seasoning it initially and much like your results, things stuck and generally left a mess. I chalked it up to improper seasoning and did it again. After the second pass with the same results and more clean up than I cared for compared to my BGE, I parted company. I’m sure they are fine and better men have had phenomenal results, but I moved it on down the line.

RedHills

I know people are crazy about those things, but I bought one and sold it in short order. I spent a fair amount of time seasoning it initially and much like your results, things stuck and generally left a mess. I chalked it up to improper seasoning and did it again. After the second pass with the same results and more clean up than I cared for compared to my BGE, I parted company. I’m sure they are fine and better men have had phenomenal results, but I moved it on down the line.
I get that. I have 3, a 24" and the 36" **. The 24 has always been easier to maintain. The 36" can be downright aggravating. Funny, some off brand griddle came with my RV...I can use it, oil it down, and 3 months later it still looks like the day I stored it away when I pull it out!

jrickman

I clean mine like cast iron pans. I let it cool, then scrape it clean, oil it down, and cover it. Next use I wipe it down with a wet cloth, heat it up, oil it a bit and bring it to the smoke point, then wipe it off again and cook.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
I have the 36 and love it, use it several times a week. Switched to natural, no more tanks

I'm sure I'll figure it out. I usually grill (gas grill for y'all that are purists!) 2 or 3 times a week and cook breakfast on Sundays on an electric griddle so I'll definitely use it a good bit if I get comfy with it

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Biggest mistake I see on new users is cooking on too high of a temp. I cook mostly on the low side of medium. I do burger that way too until the surface of the burger sets then turn up the heat to get a good sear.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Also, I always season the food before putting on the griddle.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
Maiden voyage on the Blackstone was more than edible, but a pain in my backside. Will take me a while to get used to temps and seasonings and cleaning afterwards.

Went with smash burgers and some store bought kabobs. The burgers were fine but maybe a little over seasoned since they cook in their own fat and no drippings. Hard a hard time getting the kabobs to cook evenly but think I got it ok.

The burger leftovers stuck a bit more than I expected, but I was able to sear it off afterwards and then "season" the thing one more time at cleanup.

I'll get it figured out and no one complained about the taste, but this would have been easier on the danged grill :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 1160268View attachment 1160269
Looks like you did a great job. You also explained to me why H22 refuses to get one. Too much trouble. Faster and easier on the grill or in a cast iron skillet is what he says.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Also, I always season the food before putting on the griddle.

I usually season before the grill as well, but after I smashed the burgers I kicked myself because I forgot my montreals steak that I usually put on my burger patties. Wont forget again :D

Hoss

Really like ours when we are camping. Don’t really use it around home. Got other methods that are easier. Guess that’s why we only have the 22 inch version.

You’ll get the hang of it, just keep working with it. That heat while cooking and cleaning it off is why you need an ice cold beverage of choice nearby.

leroy

I clean mine like cast iron pans. I let it cool, then scrape it clean, oil it down, and cover it. Next use I wipe it down with a wet cloth, heat it up, oil it a bit and bring it to the smoke point, then wipe it off again and cook.

I scrape good when finished then pour water on and let it steam clean then wipe down with rag, no oil. Wipe down again before next use after heating up.

RedHills

Keep it simple, i see alot of people on the Blackstone groups who try and make it much more complicated than it has to be, especially the cleaning lol

I do it like the Japanese Steak houses...those I've visited, seems to work good for them.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Cleaning is extremely easy and simple. Keep you a squirt bottle of water and a good scraper/putty knife in your kit. While it is still hot, hit it with the water and then scrape everything to the drain. You can lightly oil when finished with that. It should take you all of about 30 seconds.