The Marines are coming!

spring

Like most places around Georgia, I have an abundance of deer on my farm and need to take a lot more does than I do. In the past I've generally held off whacking a lot of does early thinking all the shooting would disturb things more than I would like, with plans to take out does towards the end of the season. This sounds good, but the reduction in deer movement in the last 10 or so days of the season usually finds my doe harvest below where it needs to be. So this year I'm going to try something different. Rather than wait until the end of the season, I'm going to try to take out most of the does at the beginning. Some researchers have said that this will enhance your rut if fewer does are on the market. Between a few during bow season, I'd like to have my doe kill mostly completed during the first week of gun season. Here's my plan: Call the US Marine Corps.
I spoke yesterday with the Colonel at the Marines Corps Logistic Center in Albany. I suspect there are some Marines there that enjoy hunting, have few opportunities, and could benefit from some meat in the freezer. Why not help these guys out and invite them to my farm so that they can have a good time, each get a doe, and largely complete my doe harvest in one day? The Col. really seemed to like the idea. He said the base would provide the Marines with a place to keep their processed deer and would likely have some sort of drawing or lottery to determine which marines would get to go. I told him I would let 10 come on whatever day we select. We might even have a BBQ lunch for them afterwards.
What do you think? Our soldiers do so much for us. If this can help some of them out, considering most get by on very little pay, while helping me with my management plans, doesn't it sound like a win-win for all?

marines.gif

usmcwavingflag.gif

Atlsooner

Great idea .... :shoot: Nice gesture on your part.

Nick W

Sounds like an awesome idea. I wish someone would do that for us when we are at the base.

GeauxLSU

That's just flat out cool! :cool: :flag: :clap:
How much grief you think one of those guys will take from his fellow soldiers if he takes a shot and misses? :bounce:

frankwright

I think it would be a great idea and would like others follow suit. Our military needs all the help and support they can get.

Just tell those Marines they actually have to use the bows and arrows and not run the deer down and wrestle them hand to hand. I know how those guys think!
Semper Fi!

Lthomas

Take a Marine Hunting program. I LIKE IT.

Steady73

Great idea and great area, Albany was my last duty station.

Trizey

Spring- Very nice on your part. Hope everything works out for the Marines and you get your goals accomplished. :flag: :clap: :fine:

captainhook

Awesome idea, afterwards they could hook up with the girls in FrankWright's avatar! All kidding aside I think that is one of the best ideas I've read on this forum. You are a true patriot. I did tell a Marine vet I used to guide hunts with that he had an open invitation to come hunt with me whenever he got ready. I wanted to let him know that I appreciated what he'd done for us. You have definitely taken it to the next level.

spring

Thank you but it's our great Americans in uniform that deserve the accolades. That said, if Frank's girls are there I might have a hard time limiting the number of Marines that show up to 10!

RatherBHuntin

Spring, you're a great man. You will most definately get whats coming to you some day. You're really gonna make some Marines happy. Tough being in the military and sent away from your hunting areas at home. I bet there's lots of them that haven't had time to get a lease squared away.

You have given so much already, but if you've got a spare rifle or two that you aren't opposed to lending out....many of them fellas wont have their rifles here, hard to store them if they live in the barracks.

GTHunter007

Don't they already have their own rifles!? :shoot: