The Marlin Jam

jordann

My buddy has an older Marlin .30-30 from his grandfather and recently it has been jamming easy. I believe the model is a 30aw. When you fully open the lever, its as if it locks in place. The only solution we have found is to unscrew the screw where the lever is attached to the gun, take the lever out and manipulate it back into the gun when it lines up with the bolt. Our plan this week is to fully clean it and oil it, but has any one else had this happen? Also, any tips on cleaning and oil this would be great!

TheWildLife

Had a similar issue with a 336 years ago. Check all the action screws. I had one get a little loose and it caused my problem.

Lilly001

Your problem, most likely, is a burr on the shell carrier.
Its the long piece that guides the shell from the tube magazine to the chamber.
At some time Marlin changed the part from machined to cast. And there is a contact point that develops a burr.
There are several videos on utube on how to fix it.

Lilly001

I fixed my wifeys 1894 .357 by removing the burr and polishing it.
It may return with use but the replacement parts are out of stock anywhere I checked.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
make sure the screw that holds the loading gate to the receiver is tight.

I had that exact problem back many years ago and after tightening up the screw to the loading gate, I never had another problem with it. It was on one of my 30-30 caliber guns that I always used a lot during deer hunting season.

ps: Try to use a good screw-driver and be careful doing it so as NOT to "mar up the finish" around this screw on your gun.

earlthegoat2

It is pretty standard practice….at least in the circles I frequent…to use low strength thread locker on all Marlin lever action screws.

rosewood

Thanks Guys! The loading spring and screw were loose causing the spring to get caught and jam the lever. Crazy how just tightening a screw can make such a huge difference. The gun loads and racks fine now!

This is where the term "loose screw" came from.... :)

Gottsa keep em tight.