The Old Man

Keebs

Miss Moderator Ma Hen
Staff member
:cheers:

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
Wow. That was beautiful.
Wish I hada seen this one at home instead of at work. Nobody knows why I'm crying and I sure can't tell em I was on GON. :cry::O:O

biggsteve

Gone But Not Forgotten
wow. talk about tearin' up.

i hardly ever get over to this side. sure glad i did today.

you don't know how lucky you had it. trust me. --steve

jmharris23

I love this Lee. My grandad was the most influential man in my life and we spent many days chasing coveys. He raised and trained bird dogs and I can close my eyes and see us chasing any of them. Buster, Dan, Sport, Joe, Toby were some of my best childhood friends and when I think of the best times of my life I think of walking hedgerows and fields with Pa-Pa and a couple of his dogs.

The fact that most young men no longer have influences like this in their life is mostly what is wrong with this country.

georgiabound

I've never seen this post before. Glad it got bumped up. It was a great read and very well written Elfii!

It also provides living proof that our actions of today influence the future (children/grandchildren). If you have older generations that have shown an interest in your life, or influenced what you are today; please take the time to let them know of your appreciation. And on the flip side, if you have a child or grandchild; please take the time to be a positive influence to them for years to come.

Great job Elfii!

grouper throat

Great post Elfii. It brought back memories of me hunting and fishing with my grandfathers. Every south Ga boy back then must have quail hunted as my grandfather and dad both loved it alot.

joedublin

Elfiii...I didn't get to know my Grandads but your beautifully written piece brought back many,many memories of my Dad and my uncle Charlie who both taught me to honor and respect nature and the animals that I was hunting. I thank God for both of them. And I thank you for renewing those wonderful memories for me.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
wow. talk about tearin' up.

i hardly ever get over to this side. sure glad i did today.

you don't know how lucky you had it. trust me. --steve

Oh yes, I do know how lucky I had it. Trust me. I would not trade my childhood, or life, with anybody on earth. :)

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
And on the flip side, if you have a child or grandchild; please take the time to be a positive influence to them for years to come.

Great job Elfii!

And do it by taking them hunting and fishing often. ;)

triton

Elfiii THANK YOU I wish kids today had grandparents like yours the U.S. might be a little different. All 4 of my grandparents were gone when I was verry young.My dad was also my best friend we hunted ,fished and worked together.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Bump for Bigox911's grandpa.;)

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Bump

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Lee, that is some mighty powerful writing, one of the best things I've ever read on here. Brings back a lot of memories, too. My grandfather was the most influential person in my life when I was a small kid, his passing hit me like a sledgehammer. Sounds just like the little town I grew up in, too.

DSGB

Coming from a younger generation (closer to elfiii's son's age than his), my Papa - the only grandfather I got to meet - speaks fondly of hunting quail and rabbits on their farm in S.C. back when most had never seen a deer. While I give most of the credit to my dad for instilling in me the love for the outdoors, my Papa and many uncles played a huge role, as well. I dread the day of his passing, as I will not only lose a loved one, friend and mentor, it will close my window to the times you speak.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
This thread still brings back a lot of fond memories.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Bump for May and Bubba.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Bump for lbzdually.

Latest posts