The state of the SEC in recruiting.

Buford_Dawg

Whereever Kirby is, he will always be in the top 5 class, he is that strong. I think these coaches from other conferences, especially from out west simply can not recruit at the level that is needed for SEC competition. I think that is already being see at Auburn with Harsin and several others. Saban and Kirby will rule in the SEC as long as they coach in the SEC. Already been show and will continue.

riprap

It's beginning to be not that important. If you see a guy do better on another team, just do what it takes to get him on your team before he's a turns pro

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I’m happy with the recruiting effort. Combined with the portal transfers from UGA and LSU the reloading is looking good.

brownceluse

I’m happy with the recruiting effort. Combined with the portal transfers from UGA and LSU the reloading is looking good.

The problem with the other schools that don’t recruit at a high level can’t simply depend on the transfer portal. Schools that are at the top of the mountain can fill in a key area of need or three. Thinking about the Dan Jackson’s, Ladds, Mckonkey and the Bennett’s. Coaching still does play a roll. Thinking about UF in particular. Miami and Florida St aren’t great either but still UF is struggling. Napier keyed in on IMG but not every player at IMG are D1 starters. Aubarn is in trouble too. Bama got a good RB from GT as well in the portal. But regardless you still have to recruit at a very high level or you’ll just be good not great.

kingfish

Actually, Florida is doing a whole lot better than I thought they were. Going to be a while before they are ready for prime time. I like the direction they are heading. Already looking forward to next season. Dawgs are rolling now, curious to see how long they can ride the wave. I got to ride one for 42 years :LOL::LOL:

brownceluse

Actually, Florida is doing a whole lot better than I thought they were. Going to be a while before they are ready for prime time. I like the direction they are heading. Already looking forward to next season. Dawgs are rolling now, curious to see how long they can ride the wave. I got to ride one for 42 years :LOL::LOL:
The ride is over cuz…..?

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
The problem with the other schools that don’t recruit at a high level can’t simply depend on the transfer portal. Schools that are at the top of the mountain can fill in a key area of need or three. Thinking about the Dan Jackson’s, Ladds, Mckonkey and the Bennett’s. Coaching still does play a roll. Thinking about UF in particular. Miami and Florida St aren’t great either but still UF is struggling. Napier keyed in on IMG but not every player at IMG are D1 starters. Aubarn is in trouble too. Bama got a good RB from GT as well in the portal. But regardless you still have to recruit at a very high level or you’ll just be good not great.

The portal provided Bama some needed talent for sure.

bullgator

The Napster has already moved us up 50 positions from hen Mullen left.

DannyW

The NIL and Portal are killing recruiting. Would you rather play with Nick Saban or Kirby Smart and their winning programs, or play for TAM and $250k?

Wake up...great recruiters have been suddenly negated by something called the almighty dollar. Don't matter anymore how much you sweet talk a recruit, how nice a guy your coach is, or who won the NC last year, all that matters is who can promise the most and biggest NIL deals.

Brownrecluse, don't recall where you fell on NIL but it's the new reality. May take a few years to fully make it's case but don't be fooled, recruiting will become a dollars game.

There's a reason why they say "follow the money"....

walukabuck

Mullen completely dropped the ball at Florida. Napier has actually worked a miracle to get them where they are and in good position to pull a few more come Wednesday. . . It's probably going to take 3 good recruiting cycles to restore some sort of order. Got to give Kirby credit for realizing it's a personnel driven business. Mullen thought he was a genius and could just outscheme everyone. A top 20 class this year would be very impressive.

GTMODawg

BANNED
I think Kirby and staff are killing it on the recruiting trail. Also, if your team is consistently in the recruiting top 10, that's pretty dang good. Dan Mullen wasn't a good recruiter, and it shows. I ain't complaining, though! I'm smiling!

GO DAWGS KILLING IT ON THE RECRUITING TRAIL AND FOOTBALL FIELD! :fine:

Finishing outside the top 5 in recruiting polls more than 20% of the time is being close to finishing outside the top 5 in final season polls 80% of the time. Consistently finishing between 5 and 10 in recruiting polls is what USC, Texas, Ohio State, and all other also rans do. It’s nice on paper but it takes 3-5 years of top 5 recruiting classes to win a natty in the Saban era of CFB. Mark Richt consistently finished in the 5-10 spot and nearly won a natty. Nearly winning a natty is what finishing 5-10 in recruiting gets you….

GTMODawg

BANNED
The NIL and Portal are killing recruiting. Would you rather play with Nick Saban or Kirby Smart and their winning programs, or play for TAM and $250k?

Wake up...great recruiters have been suddenly negated by something called the almighty dollar. Don't matter anymore how much you sweet talk a recruit, how nice a guy your coach is, or who won the NC last year, all that matters is who can promise the most and biggest NIL deals.

Brownrecluse, don't recall where you fell on NIL but it's the new reality. May take a few years to fully make it's case but don't be fooled, recruiting will become a dollars game.

There's a reason why they say "follow the money"....

TAM won’t be able to outbid UGA and Alabama and Jimmbob will still have to coach…..and he will prove as wanting in that area as always. He also has to deal with Texans and their money. That may sound like no big deal but it’s Texans and their money that has maintained UT Austen as a mid tier program for most of its history. Texans and their money completely destroyed the SWC and soon the Big 12. There is nothing worse from a management position than found money in the hands of rednecks….that is what Texas money is almost exclusively. TAM booster egos are the same as UT booster egos…..Fisher is taking as much of their money as possible and time will tell if the Aggies get anything for their effort…..