Thermal Scopes

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
I am considering purchasing a thermal for hogs and yotes. I currently have a Sightmark Wraith 4K NV scope and love it but it has its limitations. Would like to have the option of a thermal for those times when the Wraith is not ideal.

I've been looking at Pulsar Trail XP50 LRF or the Thermion XP50 LRF but am not locked in on one of those. Have also looked at N-Vision and Trijicon offerings and a friend has an IRay that he likes alot. With the exception of the IRay all my research has been online.

I'm wondering is there anywhere in North Georgia that I can go and actually compare some of these scopes and/or others myself. For what I'm looking to spend on one I'd like as much information as possible before purchasing. Even Upstate SC, Greenville/Spartanburg would be doable if not Atlanta.

Also if any of you have personal experience with optics in this range I'd be interested in your experiences. Thanks

Todd E

Check out Southern Precision Outdoors in Louisville. They can hook you up. Great country boys and use what they sell nightly. They have some good offerings going on right now.

sghoghunter

What’s your price range? Check out some videos of the night optics halo. It’s the best image I’ve saw

Last edited:

ddgarcia

What’s your price range? Check out some videos of the night optics halo. It’s the best image I’ve saw
Price is not much of a factor. I am currently having timber cut on some property and will have some "mad money" when all is said and done so I am gonna knock thus'un off the wish list. The ones I am currently considering are in the 5-6K range and that is about as high as I am going to go.

And I have been watching YouTube to the point of the wife asking "Are you watching hog killin' videos AGAIN????!!!!!":rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rockon::rockon:

sghoghunter

I can tell you the two guys at outdoor legacy.com can help you decide which suit you best even if you don’t but one from them. Look up their podcast and see if they have reviews on the scopes you have in mind.

Attachments

• E1AF650E-3490-40AA-899A-88E0EE563D39.png
    E1AF650E-3490-40AA-899A-88E0EE563D39.png
    526.2 KB · Views: 4

sleepr71

For that price($5-6K) you can pick up a lightly used Trijicon..and be in a different league. Around $3K..I agree with the Hogster 35. I’m poor…I’m still using a Wraith Mini 4K,with ATN IR850 illuminator. It’s pretty hard to beat,for the price?..but is no Thermal.

RustyH

For that price($5-6K) you can pick up a lightly used Trijicon..and be in a different league. Around $3K..I agree with the Hogster 35. I’m poor…I’m still using a Wraith Mini 4K,with ATN IR850 illuminator. It’s pretty hard to beat,for the price?..but is no Thermal.

I had an ATN but it was so heavy that I sent it back, and they were really good about that (customer service @ ATN). I’m thinking about the Wraith Mini 4K. Would like to see one in action maybe.

ddgarcia

I had an ATN but it was so heavy that I sent it back, and they were really good about that (customer service @ ATN). I’m thinking about the Wraith Mini 4K. Would like to see one in action maybe.
I don't have the Mini but do have the full size Wraith 4K. I live in Athens and work in Good Hope if you'd like to check it out sometime. I love it but it does have some limitations. Even after the thermal purchase I intend to keep and continuing it.

sleepr71

The Wraith mini 4K is compact,pretty easy to use,and the picture quality is good up to around 10-12X magnification. Plenty to see > 400yds in Daylight & at least 300 at Night. Good selection of Reticle designs/colors & holds zero (so far). About 3 hrs from a set of batteries. Hard to beat for the price…but again..it’s no Thermal?

RustyH

I don't have the Mini but do have the full size Wraith 4K. I live in Athens and work in Good Hope if you'd like to check it out sometime. I love it but it does have some limitations. Even after the thermal purchase I intend to keep and continuing it.
I be back in Georgia in late Sept. still working right now on a ship in AK, I may look you up as I stay in Monroe and hunt Oconee

ChidJ

Brother, if money is no object, steer clear of the chinese stuff. I don't fault anyone for running them but when you can, dodge the chinesium. That includes Pulsar, ATN, AGM etc. Even Bering, Steiner, and Burris are using chinese cores and assembling them here.

If you are looking for US cores but don't want to pay the .mil contract upcharge that comes with some of the Trijicon units, N-Vision has excellent standalone units with BAE cores. I think if you manage to get your hands on a HALO X50, you'll be blown away by the difference it makes over your current imager.

Obviously, Trijicon is the gold standard for what is reasonable for normal folks to obtain but I think paying double to get 10% better performance over the NVision isn't the logical route

sghoghunter

If your wanting the best ya might want to listen to this review

Attachments

• 649505EA-41B8-43B5-8DBA-4C53C7069AF7.png
    649505EA-41B8-43B5-8DBA-4C53C7069AF7.png
    669.6 KB · Views: 14