Thermal scopes

johnpoulan83

Missed The Vote
My buddy at lunch today was telling me about his atn scope and binoculars that he has. He was telling me you can see a bucks horns in the dark with his binoculars that are atn but says all the ones like that you can, I always thought you could only see the horns if they were in velvet? I was thinking they would be cool to have in the morning when you’re sitting before light to see bucks out in the field . I would def be willing to buy if you could actually see horns , does anyone have any experience with these or know the best to get with a budget around 3500.00. Any info appreciated , thanks in advance

sghoghunter

When in velvet they’ll shine like new money. I’ve only saw the rack of a hard horned buck twice out of velvet. First was a buck standing at a corn pile eating and every time he would lower his head I could see an outline of his rack against his body. Second was a buck standing in some planted pines with thick underbrush. I could se the outline of his rack against the trees behind him. Both times was up real close within 50 yds

Robust Redhorse

Thermals have rendered "night vision" completely obsolete.

$3,500 will get you a decent thermal.

In 2 years, there will be something much better for the money, but you can't wait forever. The advancement is crazy!

Jester896

Senior Clown
I would rather shoot with N/V than thermal. It is just easier to do both spot and shoot with the same device. Thermals can't see through glass unless some things have changed. You can drive around a field with a PVS looking through the windshield until you get closer to stalk too.

Last edited:

sghoghunter

I would rather shoot with N/V than thermal. It is just easier to do both spot and shoot with the same device. Thermals can't see through glass unless some things have changed. You can drive around a field with a PVS looking through the windshield until you get closer to stalk too.

I very much agree on the scanning and shooting with one device. IF I was only hunting one or two baited spots night vision would be spot on but I have multiple farms that’s miles apart and I can ride past a field at 55mph with thermal and with night vision you would have to stop and take your time scanning. Also with night vision it’s a one shot fun time unles you have a real good scope without all the external IR’s. Next time your in your truck with a thermal point towards the outside mirror and tell me how that works

Jester896

Senior Clown
I had a Night Optics D760...don't know if it is a good one...but I have had many multiple kills. I did have a Luna IR that I used on real dark nights.

I remember one night I was with a guy and was scanning....I whispered what is that?...turned on the IR and tuned it to spot... he couldn't see it with his scope just my IR about half way there. I said...dang...it's a pivot tire in the tall stuff. He asked, "Are you looking all the way down there? Yep...he asked if he could see through mine. Next thing I know he is talking real loud and saying.. WoW...you can see all the way to next door with this thing. :ROFLMAO: it was FunE2mE.

j_seph

I very much agree on the scanning and shooting with one device. IF I was only hunting one or two baited spots night vision would be spot on but I have multiple farms that’s miles apart and I can ride past a field at 55mph with thermal and with night vision you would have to stop and take your time scanning. Also with night vision it’s a one shot fun time unles you have a real good scope without all the external IR’s. Next time your in your truck with a thermal point towards the outside mirror and tell me how that works
Why would you be driving by your field with thermal scope scanning from the road for deer?

sghoghunter

Why would you be driving by your field with thermal scope scanning from the road for deer?

For hogs. Most I can see from the road and that saves me from having to waste time by stopping. Also 90% the time hogs will be right beside the road and as long as you don’t stop they won’t pay you any attention at all. Also if you can keep the deer calm the hogs won’t notice anything out the ordinary

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
I don't know why you can see your own thermals through reflection. I've always wondered how that works myself.

Jester896

Senior Clown
don't know that I have ever seen myself in the mirror...might be how far I'm hangin out the window since I am not usually the driver

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
don't know that I have ever seen myself in the mirror...might be how far I'm hangin out the window since I am not usually the driver
It doesn't have to be a mirror. It can be glass or metal. If you can see your reflection in the daytime, you can see your heat signature reflection with the thermal. Try it.

bighonkinjeep

Several 640 resolution units with very good specs all around have come down into your stated price range recently.
Two that I've seen are the Iray RICO MK1 RH35 for $2999 and the Pulsar Thermion XG50 PL76529 for $3299
Both currently fantastic deals.

My buddy at lunch today was telling me about his atn scope and binoculars that he has. He was telling me you can see a bucks horns in the dark with his binoculars that are atn but says all the ones like that you can, I always thought you could only see the horns if they were in velvet? I was thinking they would be cool to have in the morning when you’re sitting before light to see bucks out in the field . I would def be willing to buy if you could actually see horns , does anyone have any experience with these or know the best to get with a budget around 3500.00. Any info appreciated , thanks in advance
You won't be able to see horns after they shed the velvet unless its really really cold outside and you are running a top notch unit. What you will actually be seeing is the temp difference. It is very handy to have a thermal monocular to scan with walking in and out plus using during legal hours.

ucfireman

Do thermals see through fog well?
What about NV?
I don't have experience with either but think I want a one someday.
But I'm not into it for 3500. Just me.

sleepr71

Thermals penetrate Smoke,and Fog well. NV scopes do not,because the IR illuminator lights up the smoke & fog,as well as bouncing off nearby trees. NV works well in open areas,with clear conditions. Both have their pros/cons…

Waddams

I've been thinking of getting an ATN Thor LT (I think that's the model) Thermal. There's a shop for them at a mall near me, I've looked through them a few times and the model I looked through, you could make out individuals faces 100 yds down the big mall hallway in front of the store, 200 yds you could still clearly see and differentiate body features on people (arms/legs/head/body/etc.) enough that I felt I'd be able to have good shot placement with it. The longest shot I've ever had was 180 yds, and that was once. The rest have all been 75-80 yds or closer.

I also hunt thick pines that are about 8-9 years since planting. It's super thick. IR would just look like one big white blob because there's so much growth. Thermal, day or night, might help me pick up deer moving through easier since they blend perfectly in. Otherwise, you have to setup on a trail intersection watching were you can see just a bit down a few trails to have any warning at all they are coming because you just can't see them, and it's all pine needles on the ground and super quiet to walk on. And in those pines, just seeing enough with thermal up to 50 yds would be all I need. It's just too thick to otherwise even see thermal longer than that. There's trails, deer poop, and rubs everywhere though, the trail cams show pretty high traffic flow through a few intersections. I think the thermal in just the right spot elevated a little (getting 15' or more up would be impossible, too much growth to see through, but there are spots where 6 or 7 ft up is just right to see over stuff and overlook trail intersections enough to see movement) would be a major bonus.