thermal socks n cold feet

reflexman

Snake Dodger
Thermal socks are a dime a dozen but most are so thick my boots feel so tight.Does anyone recommmend a quality thinner sock for the cold. Im 59 now n feet dont like the cold anymore

JROESEL

I’ve had issue with trying to keep my feet warm forever, Jb on here mentioned I should get some boot blankets, and man do they work, I put a hot hand in there when I first get settled and I don’t have cold feet anymore, rubber boots or leather boots,
The biggest thing is making sure your feet can breathe, once they get wet from sweet, it’s going to get you

I always go by the COLD
C-clean, O-overheat, L- loose layers, D-dry

earlthegoat2

I grew up hunting and just existing in MI.

Here is what I figured out. It may not exactly apply for down here since the winters are not as bitter cold.

The fallacy is that socks will make warm feet. You don’t need “warm” socks. Socks compared to boots designed for cold, are very thin and made of an inferior insulation material at said thickness. That usually being wool or some synthetic.

The only way to make a sock comfortable is to make it relatively thin. The only way to make a thin sock warm is to thicken it.

You don’t need warm socks(unless they are the actively heated kind). You need warm boots.

Or overboots as mentioned above.

Up north we used overboots, lap blankets that went down over your feet, chemical toe warmers, electric socks, and of course, propane heaters.

I do most of my hunting in Washington Co which is not the coldest in GA but it routinely gets below freezing.

Just to give a relative idea of my tolerance to cold, I wear a plain athletic sock and uninsulated rubber snake boots year round.

brdyhll

Smart wool. I have probably 5 or 6 pairs of them. They have the socks designed for different uses. Hunting hiking etc. I absolutely love them. Also have heard some great things about alpaca wool socks

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
If your socks get too thick they will hinder the circulation in your feet and your feet will get cold. The best thing I have found for stand hunting in GA is to unlace my boots as soon as I am in the stand. If it is really cold I remove my boots entirely and place my feet into Boot Blanket brand overboots with a hand warmer in each one.

175rltw

BANNED
Smart wool. I have probably 5 or 6 pairs of them. They have the socks designed for different uses. Hunting hiking etc. I absolutely love them. Also have heard some great things about alpaca wool socks
I spent the money for 2 pairs of hollow socks and they are game changers. By comparison I’m smart wool or dark tuff merino my feet will enter the getting wet and cold process while driving to my spot my feet will be damp and able to feel any change in temp- that’s driving o heat blowing on them or anything.

I sat all
Morning in the mid 20s twice this year with nothing but lacrosse grange boots and the hollow alpaca boot socks and it was a brand new experience. I was fine. They are real. But they are not a replacement for a downbootie once your sitting.

Oakview

I‘m a huge fan of Darn Tuff over the calf wool socks. High quality product at a fair price. Lifetime warranty, which I’ve never tested because none have failed. They sell them in varying weights for different weather conditions. They sell an over the calf work sock that is great for early season. I pair those with a loose fitting pair of Muck boots and my feet stay warm in most temps. If in the 20’s, which is rare for me in Hancock county, a pair of toasty toes on top of the socks is usually good enough.

Oakview

These for very cold mornings.

These for cool mornings:

These for early season:

Hope this helps.

wm742

My daughter gave me a Drake system for Christmas I'm going to try tomorrow morning.
Its a pair of thin black wicking socks and then a pair of over the calf insulated socks. I'll minajatwa that with a pair of insulated duck boots.
We will see how they work. But I may turn the buddy heater on before they get a true test.

Walking through the field in the morning, by the time I get to the stand my boots are blocks of ice. When the ice thaws, that's when my feet get cold.

flatwoods

Best thing I ever did was getting nice cold weather boots AND getting them big enough.
If they seem tight they won't work in the cold.
My feet haven't gotten cold this year for the first time in forever.

Todd E

Between working out in the cold and hunting, I've learned what works for me. I ditched the idea of "warm" socks. I work in non insulated leather boots. I hunt in a pair of Bog boots. I only wear "moisture wicking" thin socks. It pulls moisture off my feet and into the sock and/boot liner. My feet never get cold anymore. Period.

If you doubt me......last years artic blast when wind chills were in single digits or below at night and everyone was bundled up in their homes.....I was in the dark chasing hogs for hours.

Jim Boyd

Good socks.

Sometimes a poly-pro inner liner sock.

Decent rubber boots. I wear Mucks.

No cold feet.

Down to about 20 generally in the Midwest and sometimes, colder.

reflexman

Snake Dodger
Thanks for the advise my boots are 12EE and i wear 11EE my problem is thick socks make my boots tight. I guess i need bigger boots than a size 12 and i guess liners mite help thanks again.

ga284

I have the hollow alpaca socks too. They keep my feet warm. I walk a long way to get to where I hunt . I put on a dry pair of socks before I climb the tree. I wear muck woody max boots.