Thinking about getting a Kayak (need help)

plottman25

Me and my wife are thinking about buying either a pair of kayaks or a tandem. I mostly want one for floating down Little River and doing some fishing, but she wants one for floating the Nantahala River. I know nothing about them so What would you suggest would be the best route to take on buying one. I want to try and spend as little as possible.
Thanks

aznflycaster

Best bet would probally be getting 2 instead of a tandem. Fishing out of a tandem would be really tight.

crackerdave

Not to be a pessimist,but tandem 'yaks are often referred to as "divorce boats.":D

speechless33759

Two yaks. You'll both enjoy it more than tandems. It'll give you both freedom to venture on the water, safer because if one flips the other still is up, don't have to worry about balancing one another out when one shifts their weight, and better to fish off of a single. My wife and I got a canoe together at first and was ok but she got bored of it and tired of loading it so we stopped going altogether then I couldnt go cause it was hard to load it solo. Get two save a headache and you two can still paddle together and still have great memories.

B

breampole

kayak

Had a friend that tried a rented tandum. Said it was horrible trying to coordinate the paddling. Because of that could never get it to track right. Me I'd get two. No way would I get a tandum.

wgatling

When you flip a tandem boat, it WILL be your fault even if it wasn't your fault. You will be punished for a flip that was her fault!

Flipping a tandem boat will cause two swimmers. Your potential rescuers will worry about you AFTER your wife is ok. Another drawback is that you will want to run the hero line, and your wife might opt for the cheat.

Sleep tandem. Paddle solo.

Watch craigslist. People virtually give away boats there.

plottman25

When you flip a tandem boat, it WILL be your fault even if it wasn't your fault. You will be punished for a flip that was her fault!

Flipping a tandem boat will cause two swimmers. Your potential rescuers will worry about you AFTER your wife is ok. Another drawback is that you will want to run the hero line, and your wife might opt for the cheat.

Sleep tandem. Paddle solo.

Watch craigslist. People virtually give away boats there.
Good Advice.