This is not your Buddy's grunt call...

Burl E.

But it could be yours.
Here is a new Cocobolo grunt call I made last night after getting home from the BPS.

I think I am getting the fever, it's not going to be long now boys!!!!!

Attachments

• calls Aug 5 2006 006 (598 x 600).jpg
    calls Aug 5 2006 006 (598 x 600).jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 259
nice! how much! how does it sound? is it adjustable? i imagine it is much better than the mass produced ones, it looks super!

Burl E.

tearbritches said:
nice! how much! how does it sound? is it adjustable? i imagine it is much better than the mass produced ones, it looks super!

Well Tearbritches,
The calls sound great. They are as good or better than most any call on the market.

It is adjustable. It has a rubber O-ring that has five different spots along the reed. This lets you go from a fawn bawl / bleet to a deep grunt.

The calls are of good quality. It's all I use. Other than diaphram type turkey calls and electronic calls, I haven't used a mass produced call in years. I make all my own calls from duck, goose, predator, deer, and turkey.

Price ? you will have to PM me for that. Things that drive the price are segmented style turning or material / wood type. Some woods are more costly than others. We got some ambonia (sp?) burl that was $90 for a block 12" X 12" X 3". That makes a call that goes "Cha-Ching" in the ol' pocket book. You can go alot higher with things like Hippo or Mastadon Ivory which is around $100 to $150 a pound. I don't think I could sell a $400 grunt call. :huh:
I can also get the plastic parts to make a call just like the mass produced calls. The grunt calls you buy in the store has about $4 worth of plastic parts. That's my cost, I am sure that buying in large bulk the cost goes down to around $1.75 a call. There's something to think about when you buy your next $18 plastic grunt call. :banginghe

I am going to be making around 30 grunt calls in the coming weeks. I have been thinking about selling some on the "Swap and Sale" fourm, but I will have to get a ruling from the Adm. first.
Just let me know how many you want.

Randy

Actually a Buddy of mine does make a call like that. You may have seen him at the Buck-a-rama. Osage Game Calls. His are about $40.00 I think but well worth it.

Good looking call Burl! Oh and nice to meet you this weekend.

Woodsman

Nice Work..........

Real nice looking work Burl E. I do a little turning myself.
I have thought about making a few of those for family and friends. If you don't mind me asking...where do you get your plastic parts??

And if you use domestic woods... walnut, cheery, maple, beech ect. I can hook you up with good furniture grade scrap that I have access to. Maybe we can get together one day. I am in Cumming Ga. Drop me a line.