This is why I love the antlers on bucks

meatseeker

With all the recent threads here this is why I like antlers. I've killed does over the years but most have been Bucks. From my first spike the size of a #2 pencil and 5" long(and I wouldn't trade it for nothing)to a 177" 18 point(Illinois of course). Why I like the antlers is that hunt is engraved in my mind. The does I killed have been ate and returned to dust. The antlers I have nailed up or mounted,well I can look at them and almost instantly tell you the place I killed it and the rifle caliber or bow used. and many of them the exact date. That first little spike I gut shot and tracked on the morning of November 2nd of 1985 in Monroe county. Frozen feet from my Kmart brahma boots. And the tiny 6 pt I shot at the top of the mountain on double head gap slipping through the white pines after a doe with his head to the ground unaware I was staining 25 foot from him. Seeing the low teen temperatures causing smoke from his nose as if he were smoking a Marlboro Red as it went up into the sunlight. I put the iron sights on his neck as he was troting straight to me. I cracked the .35 off and he bucked and ran towards me and fell dead at my feet, nose plowing the ground like an old turn plow. That was a cold thanksgiving morning in 1988. Dad was there and that's where he killed his 8 pt in 1968 that has hung in his den ever since. So I had just killed a buck on the same mountain top that dad did 20 years earlier. And then got to here his story on his first "big en".
Or the big 9 pt I killed on thanksgiving of 2004 while standing in a old saw mill where Dad took me camping in the late 70,s before they tore out the bridge. Now it's a two mile walk. I remember crossing that dead hemlock covered in ice in the dark to get across the creek and then grabbing laurels to climb 50yrds up the steep bank fighting not to drop my gun cause I had no sling. After a 2 mile hike we stopped to rest at the old saw mill set. And here's comes a doe with a buck tailgating her. I missed that 4 pt standing there beside my brother. After I missed my brother dropped it in his tracks. I was happy for him but I'm not gonna lie I was feeling down cause i missed. 5 minutes later I see horns coming and shot the 9 pt. We killed those at 8:30 and had to drag them 2 miles with the last 25 yards of that wading waist deep across noontootla creek and my legs were numb by the time I got out of the water. I remember that drag well. All we had to eat was a coke,an apple and a frozen snickers bar that we halfway into our long drag. We got back to camp at 4:30 and was starving but ther was a pot of pintos and ham,and a cake of cornbread waiting for us. I could tell you all the details of every one I've killed.
I remember a 12 pt I killed in 2007. I always called mama to tell her when I killed one and as I stood there looking at it and thinking wait till she hears. And then remembering she had passed away that year. Kinda bitter sweet.
Bottom line they are memories that no one can take away from me.
Yes I love the antlers,there a reminder of so many things I got to experience in the woods and most importantly ENJOY!
If you can't remember the small details your missing the big picture of the hunt.

Gator89

From 2002 through 2009 I was in a club in Bienville Parish, LA that ran dogs. One morning we had a block pretty well covered up and the dogs jumped quick. About 10 minutes after the jump, the stander on the ridge to my north shot and promptly announced over his two radio that a buck was down. Two - three minutes later the shooter came over the radio, WTH my buck just got up an ran off. It is not long until I hear the snap, crackle and pop of something coming through brush from the direction of the shot. A buck pops out of the thick cutover into the strip of hardwood I am covering and stops to look around presenting a perfect shot.

The first stander nicked the left antler right at its base, just took a little chip of bone off the ring.

I still get the warm fuzzies when I look at that 5 point rack on a board in my basement. It sits next the the scraggly 3 X 1 four point I shot the year before by clipping the end of an antler(certainly not planned that way) with the first shot, but the second put him down.

It is not just the size of the rack, it is the size of the memories that count the most.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yep. I have some antlers laying around, and a bunch that I've made stuff out of. I can look at each one and still remember the hunt.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
meatseeker,

We must have been cut from the same cloth it seems.

I have killed over 75 deer during my lifetime and I decided not to kill any does since back in the 1990's. I will admit that when I killed a doe back then, the memory of that hunt faded rather quickly. However, I still remember every buck that I have killed over all of these years as I still have most every set of antlers from those bucks.

I can go out and look in my storage shed and just glance at certain sets of antlers and the memories of that particular hunt with every detail included comes flooding back just like it happened yesterday.

I don't know if that is a good thing or bad thing BUT I wouldn't take anything for all of those memories along my life's journey.

I enjoyed you sharing your memories with all of us.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Its the size of the back strap that matters the most to me.

I've never had a back strap that I didn't love and this one holds incredible memories along with flavor...

Attachments

• IMG_20170331_24653.jpg
    IMG_20170331_24653.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 1,064

bulldawgborn

Thanks for sharing. I know exactly what you mean. The buck that means the most to me is a mature 4X2 that my mama had to help me load 3 months before she passed away...almost to the day. Every time I look at that euro, I think about her and smile.

The Fever

With all the recent threads here this is why I like antlers. I've killed does over the years but most have been Bucks. From my first spike the size of a #2 pencil and 5" long(and I wouldn't trade it for nothing)to a 177" 18 point(Illinois of course). Why I like the antlers is that hunt is engraved in my mind. The does I killed have been ate and returned to dust. The antlers I have nailed up or mounted,well I can look at them and almost instantly tell you the place I killed it and the rifle caliber or bow used. and many of them the exact date. That first little spike I gut shot and tracked on the morning of November 2nd of 1985 in Monroe county. Frozen feet from my Kmart brahma boots. And the tiny 6 pt I shot at the top of the mountain on double head gap slipping through the white pines after a doe with his head to the ground unaware I was staining 25 foot from him. Seeing the low teen temperatures causing smoke from his nose as if he were smoking a Marlboro Red as it went up into the sunlight. I put the iron sights on his neck as he was troting straight to me. I cracked the .35 off and he bucked and ran towards me and fell dead at my feet, nose plowing the ground like an old turn plow. That was a cold thanksgiving morning in 1988. Dad was there and that's where he killed his 8 pt in 1968 that has hung in his den ever since. So I had just killed a buck on the same mountain top that dad did 20 years earlier. And then got to here his story on his first "big en".
Or the big 9 pt I killed on thanksgiving of 2004 while standing in a old saw mill where Dad took me camping in the late 70,s before they tore out the bridge. Now it's a two mile walk. I remember crossing that dead hemlock covered in ice in the dark to get across the creek and then grabbing laurels to climb 50yrds up the steep bank fighting not to drop my gun cause I had no sling. After a 2 mile hike we stopped to rest at the old saw mill set. And here's comes a doe with a buck tailgating her. I missed that 4 pt standing there beside my brother. After I missed my brother dropped it in his tracks. I was happy for him but I'm not gonna lie I was feeling down cause i missed. 5 minutes later I see horns coming and shot the 9 pt. We killed those at 8:30 and had to drag them 2 miles with the last 25 yards of that wading waist deep across noontootla creek and my legs were numb by the time I got out of the water. I remember that drag well. All we had to eat was a coke,an apple and a frozen snickers bar that we halfway into our long drag. We got back to camp at 4:30 and was starving but ther was a pot of pintos and ham,and a cake of cornbread waiting for us. I could tell you all the details of every one I've killed.
I remember a 12 pt I killed in 2007. I always called mama to tell her when I killed one and as I stood there looking at it and thinking wait till she hears. And then remembering she had passed away that year. Kinda bitter sweet.
Bottom line they are memories that no one can take away from me.
Yes I love the antlers,there a reminder of so many things I got to experience in the woods and most importantly ENJOY!
If you can't remember the small details your missing the big picture of the hunt.

That's an awesome perspective. When we were recording a podcast last night I was leaning back looking at my spread of antlers and had a blast reminiscing. Hadn't thought about their roles in our memories like that before though. :banana:

jbogg

Good stuff! I really enjoyed the read. I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday, but let me stumble on an old set of horns in the basement or an old hunt photo and I can recall incredible details of the hunt.

Ihunt

I like big racks as much as anyone but IMO you can take QDM too far. Get out and enjoy hunting. If the 12" basket rack 6 makes you happy shoot him. Just don't complain that you never kill big deer or they're all gone.

Jim Boyd

Keith,

Great post my friend. Hope you are well.

Thanks for a wonderful, thought provoking series of thoughts.

Jim

Beaudeane

Meatseeker, that was a great story. It's sorta the way I look at it but with way less sets of antlers in my collection. Very colorful description like from a good book. Thx for sharing