This page hangs up my computer now

BoosterC

FYI
Ever since GON made the change to this new forum format, something on the page ALWAYS hangs up my computer. I'm pretty sure it is related to something that heavily relies on scripting the ads, even signed in, I'll get an occasional pop-over ad that covers a section of the forum page. Usually towards the bottom.
No other website that I visit does this. And yes, I have cleared cookies, cleared cache and even updated SW. And I am NOT going to change browsers (I use Chrome).

This issue is a big reason why I don't participate near what I used to here. It too much of a pain in the neck to wait for whatever scripting error finally clears just to open the threads, I suspect it is probably related the constantly changing/flashing ads on the right margin that I never had before.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
FYI
Ever since GON made the change to this new forum format, something on the page ALWAYS hangs up my computer. I'm pretty sure it is related to something that heavily relies on scripting the ads, even signed in, I'll get an occasional pop-over ad that covers a section of the forum page. Usually towards the bottom.
No other website that I visit does this. And yes, I have cleared cookies, cleared cache and even updated SW. And I am NOT going to change browsers (I use Chrome).

This issue is a big reason why I don't participate near what I used to here. It too much of a pain in the neck to wait for whatever scripting error finally clears just to open the threads, I suspect it is probably related the constantly changing/flashing ads on the right margin that I never had before.
I use Adblocker and never have a problem with any ads on here.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Add an Ad Blocker and loose Google.
In the long run you will be much more happy and healthy and wise and good looking -- like me. LOL

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
One more recommend for Ad Blocker, no more pop ups.

klerchkatcher

I use chrome too, go here

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ublock-origin/cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm

then say goodbye to ads

guess I should add Ublock Origin can be configured to block more content then in its stock settings. The only thing about doing that is you may click on a link and the page does not fully load and you maybe waiting or wondering what is happening. This takes getting use to. When that happens to me I right click on the url/link and open in a private browser. All ads and scripts will load then, you need to be careful only load trusted pages like Foxnews or our local news web sites etc... Once you close a private browser page all cookies and history related to that page will be gone. So if you want to return to a story / page etc you need to keep that in mind.

Clicking on the Ublock Origin icon on the toolbar you can goto Options ...called the Dashboard. Under settings select "i am an advanced user" then click on the Icon on the toolbar again you will see 2 columns. On the left column for 3rd-party click on the right side of the left colum and turn both coulmns red. Do the same for 3rd-party scripts and 3rd-party frames. After you do this some web sites will not load fully, as I said earlier unless you click to allow or temporary allow different sites. Just use the private browser and takes all the guess work out it.

I forgot to say after you turn on the 3rd party blocking etc .... you need to click on the padlock symbol right next columns to retain those settings on reload.

Last edited: