Those who use tss #9's question

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
What's up y'all!!?
Hope gettin ready for the spring season has y'all fired up and happy!!
I got a gift this past summer from my wife, a new browning 3 1/2 inch wicked wings!
I've been accumulating turkey stuff for it as I could, and this past Sunday I took about a dozen practice shots with it.
It's favorite load was Federal tss #9 out of Carlsons longbeard choke. What a beautiful perfect 38ish yard pattern it makes! Took 2 shots with that combo and hands down they were the best of all the other configurations of different shots.
As happy I was with the awesome patters I was like "maaaaaan those holes are tiny!!!"
My old shot gun I shot Heavy Magnum blend 5, 6, 7,'s. And when federal tss #7's came out it liked those too.
So my question is how do y'all tss #9 hunters like your results???
At 40, 45 yards? Have any of y'all gone 50 with tss #9's?
Thanks for any and all insight!!!

Hoosier06

DIPSTICK yankee
70 yards....I won't shoot one that far because there is noticable drop and wind drift even though pattern is still dense enough. I havnt found a single tss pellet in the bird even with body hits unlike the old copper plated 5s. The best thing about tss is using full-xx full chokes to get even hunting patterns out to 45+

sea trout

Thanks y'all!
You are talkin about #9's right hoosier? That sounds impressive thanks!

Last edited:

Gaswamp

I thought TSS was for smaller gauges than a 12

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
And seatrout I’ve never shot a tss load . Can you get them in 3 1/2 in

Dupree

And seatrout I’ve never shot a tss load . Can you get them in 3 1/2 in
Yes, but with a 2 1/4oz load in 3” I don’t know why you would.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member

sea trout

antharper Yes they do.
However I don't have any yet so I didn't try them.
I had some tss #7's and some tss # 9" in 3 inch and some longbeard #4's and longbeard # 5's in 3 1/2 inch to test out.
The 3 inch tss shots hands down way out performed the 3 1/2 inch long beards.
The tss #9's put a much more uniform pattern and a more aim point center target hit than the #7's. Out of my new shotgun.
Now I'm lookin to find some 3 1/2 inch tss.
Bass pro has the 9's. Apex ammo has 8's for 10 bucks cheaper a box. The prices of tss has always been high but they are inflated price right now just like a lotta other things

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
My experience was similar to sea trout when I hunted with a 12. I shot 3 inch TSS out my Benelli.

I now have a 20 and a .410 setup for TSS 9s. I haven’t killed one with the .410 yet but with the pattern it shoots I wouldn’t hesitate on anything inside 40 yds.

deast1988

I think a #9 can do it on gel to 72yds. Reloaders can come up with some wild shells up to 3oz payloads. Me personally I like bigger pellets just for insurance. A 2.5oz load of #8s is just nasty in the 12ga.

spencer12

I shot one at 42 steps with tss #9s ( I didn’t think he was that far) he came in quick and kind of caught me off guard so it was a now or never moment. At 42 steps it dropped him with no questions it was my first bird with tss and I to was hesitant shooting that tiny shot. I had 3” number 9s. It killed him dead I could barely tell where I hit him until I cleaned him. At that distance most of those bbs passed clean through that bird.

sea trout

awesome!!!

six

If you do your part, I promise you those little tiny #9's will do their part.