Through the Eye of an ACTUAL Needle: The Fake Gate Theory!

Artfuldodger

I've been reading that there is no resources to back up the often told story that the "eye of a needle" is a small opening in a city wall.
I've heard this story my whole life and figured it true. Maybe it's one of those things where man just makes stuff up to justify God's word.

Artfuldodger

Now if it's not a small opening in a gate, then what that verse means is it's pretty much impossible for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of Heaven.
That brings up another question in general about Jesus and rich men stories. What sin is it to be rich? Greed? Perhaps but rich men can give so much more to help the sick and poor than I can. Although I can give my time.

Last edited:

Artfuldodger

Zacchaeus was one of those dreaded tax collectors and rich. I think the reason people, including Jesus, despised tax collectors is because they cheated people to become rich. Perhaps cheating is the sin.
When Zacchaeus repented he gave half of his possessions to the poor and repaid those he had cheated fourfold.

When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished, saying, “Who then can be saved?” 26 But Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”

In relation to Zacchaeus, Jesus called him. Jesus saved Zacchaeus. Jesus makes the impossible, possible.

Last edited:

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Know a couple folks that have seen this place as”locals” call it that. It’s just a small open that a camel can’t pass through.

BanjoPicker

I've been reading that there is no resources to back up the often told story that the "eye of a needle" is a small opening in a city wall.
I've heard this story my whole life and figured it true. Maybe it's one of those things where man just makes stuff up to justify God's word.
Matt. 19:23-26 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, that a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven. First what is a rich man that is being spoken of here? Lk. 12:15 And he said unto them, Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth.
Covetousness is forbidden, Hatred of it is a qualification to leaders, civil and religious, it will Da-mn the soul, it must be killed out entirely. also see Lk. 18:24.
Hardly: with difficulty they can be saved.
Loaded camel as required here. A Jewish proverb commonly used to express great difficulty or impossibility. In the large gates in the city walls were small narrow ones, each called the needle's eye, through which a camel might enter kneeling down if he were unloaded.

The sovereignty of God over the universe and includes the kingdom of heaven. Because the kingdom of heaven is part of the kingdom of God some things could be said of both, but there are other things said of the kingdom that could not be spoken of the kingdom of heaven.
Also read verse Matt. 19:25 and 26. hope this helps you Art.
Also read the thread on The Kingdom of Heaven an the Kingdom of God.

Last edited:

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Hardly: with difficulty they can be saved.
Loaded camel as required here. A Jewish proverb commonly used to express great difficulty or impossibility. In the large gates in the city walls were small narrow ones, each called the needle's eye, through which a camel might enter kneeling down if he were unloaded.
Good thing you pointed out there.

Using the analogy of loaded and kneeling……

Think of the rich man - he’s loaded. He’s also self reliant, not needing anything but his money and power it brings.

Removing that (unloading) and being in need would…….definitely be a hard thing to do. Most rich are arrogant and think their feet doesn’t stink.