Tigers or War Eagle or Plainsmen

BigMassiveDaddy

Here's a little help for the anti-Auburn fan's confusion.

Auburn's nickname is the TIGERS.
Auburn's battle cry is "WAR EAGLE!"

Through the years, these two Auburn terms have often been used interchangeably and incorrectly. There are hats and T-shirts with Auburn War Eagles on them. Even the news media has been known to refer to an Auburn team as the War Eagles or to an Auburn player as a War Eagle.

In fact, when the Tigers play a game on the road, there is often an article written in the local paper wondering why Auburn has three nicknames -- the Auburn Tigers, the Auburn War Eagles and the Auburn Plainsmen.

To set the record straight, Auburn has only one nickname -- the Auburn Tigers.

"War Eagle" is a battle cry, used by Auburn fans in the same manner Alabama fans yell "Roll Tide!" and Arkansas fans yell "Woo Pig Sooie!" You never hear Alabama referred to as the Alabama Roll Tides or Arkansas as the Arkansas Sooie Pigs, and to call Auburn teams the Auburn War Eagles would be just as incorrect. The battle cry "War Eagle" should never have an "s" on the end of it.

The nickname "Tigers" comes from a line in Oliver Goldsmith's poem, "The Deserted Village," published in May 1770, "where crouching tigers wait their hapless prey..."

The term "Plainsmen" comes from a line in that same Goldsmith poem, "Sweet Auburn, loveliest (sic) village of the plain..." Since Auburn athletes were, in the early days, men from the Plains, it was only natural for newspaper headline writers to shorten that to "Plainsmen."

It may be confusing to an outsider, but to Auburn people, it is very simple. That's why War Eagle VI, Auburn's golden eagle symbol, is named Tiger!

BMD
Two words..........WAR EAGLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
I still think y'all are awfully confused, but I hope y'all carve the great pumpkin tonight! :shoot:

BigMassiveDaddy

Jeff, there's nothing confusing about it

Is UGA's mascot the "silver britches" or "hairy dawgs" or "uga's" or "bulldogs".

For all of those "who are you this week?" people, it'd be like calling Georgia the "go dawgs." That's basically the same thing.

So, to all the TIGER fans out there....."WAR EAGLE!!!"

Snakeman

So why does a team that's nickname is the "Tigers" have an eagle for a mascot?

I think I know who is confused here.

The Snakeman

Duramax

The correct nickname for UGA is DAWGS.

Schulze

I think it happens to do with their Eagle rehab center on campus. I enjoy when I am down in that area. Every restaraunt has attractive waitresses. :clap:

huntindawg

Bmd

First off, UGA's mascot is the bulldog. I'm pretty sure you didn't mean to type that though so I'll let it go.

Second, the snakeman's got it right...how come ya'lls chant is War Eagle when your mascot is a Tiger??

You gave fine examples of Alabama and Arkansas but the differences are extreme. Alabama is the crimson tide, so their saying of Roll Tide makes a ton of sense. Same thing for Arkansas. They're the hogs, so having a saying that relates to hogs---again it makes a lot of sense. Georgia with the mascot of a bulldog saying go dawgs--again making a lot of sense.

Now, you never did tell us the incredible history behind Plainsmen and how ya'll got that nick---well whatever you want to call it. I'm sure it's not a nickname though..heaven forbid...that would be confusing. But even so, I hear Auburn referred to and referring to theirselves an awful lot by this.

Although ya'll have it won for the most confusing name in football, I've got to give a close second to Miami. Their symbol is the U(I guess for the University of miami and they didn't realize there were other Universities?) that you see on their helmets and jerseys, their nickname is the Hurricanes, and their mascot is that duck/stork/swan thing. I've never understood this. Since you're so good at explaining things, you got any ideas?

ramblinrack

Schulze said:
I think it happens to do with their Eagle rehab center on campus. I enjoy when I am down in that area. Every restaraunt has attractive waitresses. :clap:
schulze....try the new hooters. i seriously think i was served by bo jacksons sister, as her thighs were every bit as big as his.

:eek: :speechles ;)

BigMassiveDaddy

huntindawg

"Go dawgs"......how original. Can't even spell a 4 letter word right.

So what you are really saying is "woof, woof" should be your real chant?

That's fine ya'll don't understand. It's not something that you are expected to see. Auburn is just a school that loyalty, honor, and pride are attributes that go a long way. Over there in Athens, people are more worried how much a torn jersey or used pair of socks will sell for on Ebay.

People may think we are confused, but there is a brotherhood among us Tigers that is different and more fun to be a part of than any other in the nation. It may only be an Auburn fan's opinion (to us it's right). However, we don't expect everyone else to believe it.

WAR EAGLE!!!

Last edited:

huntindawg

Bmd

Uhhhhhhhhhh, yeah sure...You been taking lessons from John Kerry?? This is how it is cause it is and it doesn't have to make sense cause I understand and I'm not answering your question and and and somebody out there yell for me (you know, cause liberals are all about emotiong)!!!!!! You totally dodged my question about the Plainsmen thing (I was just wondering) and started talking about how ya'll auburn fans all really love each other. How sweet, but I'm not really moved. After all, you're the one that brought this up, and I was just inquiring.

By the way, we (Georgia fans) do say woof woof woof, which again, makes a lot more sense than the whole war eagle thing. Never heard a tiger scream that sounded like war eagle.

Also, thanks for taking care of Tennessee. I hope we get to play your Auburn Tigers War Eagles Plainsmen twice this season and whoop em both times. Good Luck the rest of the season.

BigMassiveDaddy

The one thing you and I seem to have in common

is laughing at Kerry dodging questions.

If you were to read the first post, it explains the Plainsmen and very simply put. There's no need to dodge that question.

Things in Athens sure don't make much sense and I'll never understand all of the drama that happens over there. Don't want to either, so I won't go picking on a bulldog fan's post about how "I just don't understand."

The original post was to sum up the origin of the mascot and sayings, but I didn't mean to further confuse anyone. All of this won't matter come Nov 13th cause dawg fans will start living in last year, 1980, or something like that. I'm just glad to see the bulldogs play up to their ranking for the first time in two years. It'll be nice if UGA is undefeated on that day to receive a whoopin on the Plains. Keep it up bulldogs.

WAR EAGLE!!!

huntindawg

Ha

BMD, you talk about Georgia playing up to its ranking. I don't know if you remember or not, but Auburn had high, high expectations going into last year. I don't quite think they lived up to anything except an appearance in the Music City Bowl. Georgia on the other hand moved up the polls. Two years ago we won the SEC Championship, so unless you're saying the conference is weak you don't have a arguement.

Stop with the emotion and get some facts and stats to back it up. I'll leave one with ya....Georgia's record the past 2 years against Auburn..2-0

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
Hey, Guys!

It's all in fun! I respect all the tradition of Auburn's program & see it as one of the great, strong programs in college football.

Sure I pick on them! That's what rivalry is all about. However, we have to be able to take as good as we give.

Y'all give Aubie his due! They spanked another team with the same great tradition Saturday night.

A quick glance at the schedule brings the #3 Dawgs onto the Plains to meet the 9-0, by then top 5 Tigers on November 13th!

Strap it up! And let's let it roll!

BigMassiveDaddy

never said the conference was weak

You sure like reading into things to get something started. We didn't live up to our ranking, so we lost it. That's usually what happens. It just seems unlikely for a top 5 team to have such a difficult time with so many games (especially 1st halves). Beat a few ranked teams and then start talking. According to this year and last year, the bulldogs are 2-3 when playing teams that were ranked during the week they were played. I do give the bulldogs credit for the win over LSU. Ya'll didn't give them a chance.

But, if you want facts, Auburn is ahead of the bulldogs with stats that mean anything. The only stat UGA is up on is that they have a better scoring offense than Auburn (and they should with the intramural games they've played this year). Other than that, they are behind the Tigers. Here, this will help you out. http://www.secsports.com/new/sports/fbc/04stats/confldrs.htm

As you stated in a previous thread, there's no need for a chip on a shoulder and taking things too seriously. Oh yeah, after Nov 13th you can claim UGA is up 2-1 for the last three years.

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
Massive,

I think that the stats that mean something show that y'all barely beat a team the Dawgs destroyed!

See y'all in Auburn with the war paint on!

BTW, I really liked Sir Charles' little interview Saturday night. He said something to the effect of: "Yes, Tenneessee sees light at the end of the tunnel! Only problem is, it's a train coming!" :bounce:

GO DAWGS!!!

AUHunter

Ok, I'll assume you dawg fans know how hyperlinks work...if so, these will eliminate your confusion :) The Tigers will eliminate the confusion as to who the best team is come Nov. 13th :)

Mascot

War Eagle!