Time for a new barrel.

aabradley82

I’ve got an old Springfield sporter in 30-06 improved that I’m thinking of having rebarreled. I’m thinking a 257 Robert’s. Anybody have a reason this won’t work?

bullgator

Make sure the case head and bolt face are a match. Other than that, I would put a few rounds in the magazine to see if it accepts them.

Clemson

257 Roberts will work fine. That action is not the easiest in the world to rebarrel. It requires cutting square threads, cutting a coned breech, chambering to proper headspace, then cutting extractor relief. That makes it a more expensive job than many. With a decent barrel like a Douglas or Shilen, figure around $750 plus the cost of bluing the finished barreled action.

Yotedawg

257 is a nice round. Is there a reason not to go with a 25-06? Same casing as the 30-06 just necked down, would not be a chance of feeding issues, and will push a bullet faster than the 257.

aabradley82

Always wanted a Bob. Already have a 25-06. I’ve kicked around a 6.5-06 but want the option of factory for when I just can’t make myself reload. I can load shotgun shells for hours, but can’t make myself like loading rifles.

aabradley82

I believe I will. I’m laughing at myself over not wanting another 25-06. I think I’ve got 5+ 30-06s.
There’s not a nickels difference anyway in the 6mm-6.5mm and 7mm-.30 calibers. Now you get Whelen and up your getting into the thumpers

rayjay

how about having the existing bbl rebored and rerifled to a 32 or 35 cal cartridge ?

aabradley82

Rayjay I’m sick of messing with the improved case. Plus this one is a touch out of round. I’ve already got 2 9.3x57, a 9.3x62 and a whelen. Don’t have a 257. If I run across the right smallbore I might make a 338 fed or 358.