Tiny black ants

Dbender

Found some tiny black ants about 1/3 or 1/4 the size of argentine ants. Any idea what type they are. Super tiny.

Attachments

• 20240328_115911.jpg
    20240328_115911.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 19

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
We called them 'sugar ants'. Not sure of their real name. Usually find them going to and from a sugary food source.

Anvil Head

If they are in your house or other wooden structures, check closely for termites. They often have a direct correlation. I've always heard them called "sugar" ants as well.

B. White

What I always called sugar ants are a little bigger than those, I think. Sugar ants would sometime show up in the kitchen in extremely dry weather in other places I've lived. Around here I see the smallest ones anywhere a dead limb falls or if you leave a piece of lumber or a brick laying for a while. They will get all over you in a hurry moving limbs, but never had one bite.

Dbender

They Def aren't sugar ants. These are tiny! 1/3 the size of sugar ants. Never seen them inside. These were behind a washer on a telephone pole. Entire colony underneath a 2" washer and a 3/4" hole.

Dbender

What I always called sugar ants are a little bigger than those, I think. Sugar ants would sometime show up in the kitchen in extremely dry weather in other places I've lived. Around here I see the smallest ones anywhere a dead limb falls or if you leave a piece of lumber or a brick laying for a while. They will get all over you in a hurry moving limbs, but never had one bite.
These are way smaller than the ones that swarm your arms. Those give off a smell when you crush 50 or so wiping them off. These are more than 1/2 time smaller. Here's a single grain of black pepper for size reference.

Attachments

• 20240331_092704.jpg
    20240331_092704.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Oldstick

I was finding 3 or 4 ants of that size on the bathroom counter regularly. Tried spraying but more came back. Turns out I had a very small seepage in one of the water connections to the sink. Fixed that and sprayed Bengal behind the cabinet into the wall. Haven't seen anymore since then.