tomato gravy

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Was never a fan of tomato gravy.

RedHills

Self Banned after losing a Noles bet.
Mater gravy cooked with cut up hot dogs over rice! Was a staple in the 60's and 70's as a kid. My wife still cooks a cast iron skillet full every now and again.

slow motion

Wife's recipe is brown flour in oil like making milk gravy. Add whole stewed tomatoes that you have mashed up by hand. Season to taste. Cook down to preferred consistency. No extra water or milk just juice from stewed tomatoes.

breathe in

thanks all for the input. I used the first link and tweaked it a little. less chic stock, no cream, added milk.

it was awesome!! really good. definitely gonna help with all these maters I've got coming in.

last cpl days I had an image popping in man head, wondering did ma make this when I was a kid? so I called her, and she said she made something similar, not a gravy. more of a side. said my dad's mom made it a lot. they're from Pa, may be a northern thing?

sliced tomatoes tossed with flour, salt and pepper, fried in a little oil or butter till dark brown ( in fact she would get them slightly blackened) then add milk and stir. Tomatoes break up and mixture gets slightly thickened.

RedHills

Self Banned after losing a Noles bet.
Add in a can of the stewed whole tomatoes in the sweet vidalia onion stock. Awesome!