Top 10 reasons why I don't do Christmas

No. GA. Mt. Man

Gone But Not Forgotten
Seems that I read the Bible once and in there was this awesome account about how a whole lot of people celebrated Jesus' birth (shepherds and even some really smart guys). Seem to recall reading that the Heavenly Host even may have celebrated it. Anybody else read that in the Bible? If so, kinda makes sense to me to give a little praise and worship and celebration for the BIRTH of our Savior.

Nuff Said!!!

hawglips

Banned
I love celebrating Christmas.

In my family, we decorate the Christmas tree and then discuss all the symbolism of Christ and His birth on it.

And how can it be anything but uplifting and strengthening to celebrate the gift that God gave of His Only Begotten Son?

"For God so loved the world, that He gave His Only Begotten Son; that whosever believeth in Him should not perish, but have eternal life."

z71gacowboy

Imho.....Nothing wrong with it....the celebrating Christ birth. Nothing wrong with the fat man either. We always tell the kids that santa claus is the spirit of giving. It teaches them to understand what giving freely is. Santa Claus has no real reason to give you anything...you didnt give him anything or do anything for him......now relate that to Jesus Christ. This is what Christmas is for me...faith, fellowship, and giving extraordinarily regardless of my financial situation just because I have been given so much. Thats why our church has an angel tree. And next year I proposed to the family to forgo giving each other stuff (none of us need anything and are content) and instead use the money we would have spent on each other and buy other familys stuff.

farmasis

Read it in context...this verse is about CHURCH DISCIPLINE.

I am assuming that your church did not worship corporately on Christmas...therefore man decided that a holiday instituted by man was more important than the Sabbath which was instituted by God. Correct me if I am wrong....

Man thus becomes the determiner of how he will worship the Creator....It's backwards, but a good commentary on most evangelical churches in America. Humanism reigns...Christ waits for man to be the determiner of his own salvation and worship services.

Banjo, Did the early church meet every Sunday?

Israel

BANNED
I love celebrating Christmas.

In my family, we decorate the Christmas tree and then discuss all the symbolism of Christ and His birth on it.

And how can it be anything but uplifting and strengthening to celebrate the gift that God gave of His Only Begotten Son?

"For God so loved the world, that He gave His Only Begotten Son; that whosever believeth in Him should not perish, but have eternal life."

Perhaps that is the issue...how do we "rightly" celebrate that wonderful gift?
It is implied by your comment that xmas is the celebration of that gift that glorifies God. It's almost as if there's an acknowledgement that there is a "special" time God would have us set aside to consider the wonder of the incarnation and the redemption purchased for us by it. Spirit and truth is nothing if not "all the time, everywhere, really", and anything that either contradicts that or in some way would seek to modify it is carnal.
I couldn't agree more with your statement:

But I would have to cautiously ask this question...With the asumption I am asking this of spiritual people: "Is there really a day...or time of year that this should be necessary for those claiming to walk by the spirit?"

Now, I do not discount that this opens me up to examination in every area of my own life, for if I would say that then it would rightly invite others to ask me this critical question regarding all of my own behavior...(which I confess is often abysmally deficient) "Don't you know that what you do not teach by example, you do not teach"
This regardless of how spiritual sounding I might try to appear.
And maybe that is the altogether vital issue with which the spirit within me struggles...my need to be free of my own hypocrisy. But all I can say to that is (more or less, and I am not being cavalier despite the sound of it)...let the chips fall where they may, for if I must be judged as a hypocrite to be free of my hypocrisy, so be it.

But this is where my walk in the Lord has led me in my understanding, even and especially regarding the communion of the saints and the mechanism (if you will allow that term) for our mutual growth.
God judges our words and hearts. I have learned that of all the hearts I may seem to be so quick to judge, it is my own that remains the most devious. Yet despite all of this, I have found that the fire I may so often discern as lacking and call for must fall first (and surely will as God is true) upon me.
If all our wrangling and exposition of what we have faith that the Lord has shown us brings us to this place of purification...then that is what all this rubbing up against one another accomplishes, and it is valuable.
It is not the one who promises the Lord he will never abandon him or deny him that receives the blessing...it is the one who somehow is able to find the grace to do so... And abide faithful because he sees Jesus.

P

PJason

Deus, qui salutare tuum cunctis terrae finibus declarasti,
tribue, quaesumus,
ut nativitatis eius gloriam laetanter praestolemur.

Banjo

Banjo, Did the early church meet every Sunday?

The apostles the Sabbath on the first day of the week. We have their example to follow. We also have the fourth commandment which tells us to Remember the Sabbath Day to keep it Holy. I am assuming, unless you can show me in the Bible where they opted out one week, that they met every Lord's Day.

Israel

BANNED
Deus, qui salutare tuum cunctis terrae finibus declarasti,
tribue, quaesumus,
ut nativitatis eius gloriam laetanter praestolemur.
I prefer your posts with pics, they're easier for me to understand.
Mirabile dictu.

Big10point

Banned
i have to agree with addictedtodeer... Jer 10:1-5 1Hear ye the word which the LORD speaketh unto you, O house of Israel:

2Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them.

3For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.

4They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.

5They are upright as the palm tree, but speak not: they must needs be borne, because they cannot go. Be not afraid of them; for they cannot do evil, neither also is it in them to do good.

6Forasmuch as there is none like unto thee, O LORD; thou art great, and thy name is great in might.

7Who would not fear thee, O King of nations? for to thee doth it appertain: forasmuch as among all the wise men of the nations, and in all their kingdoms, there is none like unto thee.

8But they are altogether brutish and foolish: the stock is a doctrine of vanities

Xmas was started by the pagans so how can anyone, including the popes, take something that is pagan and put a Christian veneer over it? it cannot be done. pagan is pagan. the people who love xmas are the people who have never researched xmas...

here are more than enough reasons to NOT celebrate xmas...

http://www.letgodbetrue.com/bible/holidays/christmas.htm

not to mention, that God cannot condone any lie, of any kind. Jesus was not born on or near 12/25... its a lie and God will have nothing to do with lies... people go to helll for telling one single small little lie, yet we are to tell our kids that Jesus was born on 12/25, santa is all knowing, can deliver 10 million gifts in a single nite, on and on and on... the lies never stop with xmas... during the xmas season, there are more office affairs than the rest of the year, more drunkeness, more partying, lying, covetnous, etc, etc... which one of those does God love...?

have you ever noticed the similarities between santa and Jesus? santa and satan?

http://www.av1611.org/othpubls/santa.html
http://www.biblebelievers.com/jmelton/SantaClause.html
http://www.baptistpillar.com/bd0196.htm

anyway, Christians should focus on the Bible, Word of God, discipleship and not following the world. a Christian cannot be "worldy" and be pleasing to God...
we are to come out and be a separate people.... celebrating xmas is doing what the world does...

Last edited:

farmasis

The apostles the Sabbath on the first day of the week. We have their example to follow. We also have the fourth commandment which tells us to Remember the Sabbath Day to keep it Holy. I am assuming, unless you can show me in the Bible where they opted out one week, that they met every Lord's Day.

I am unaware if the early church met every Sabbath. I know Jews did not go to the temple every Sabbath.

But, can you keep the Sabbath holy and not attend church every Sabbath? Conversly, can you attend church every Sunday and not keep it holy?

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
I've never consided Sunday, the first day of the week, to be a New Testament Sabbath.

Each and every day the early church met to study, pray, worship.
One the 1st day of the week, Lord's day, they remember Jesus' death thru taking the Lord's supper. But, since the Bible doesn't command us to do that, we don't have to. We only have to do what we are directly commanded to do. Or so we teach.

Banjo

I am unaware if the early church met every Sabbath. I know Jews did not go to the temple every Sabbath.

But, can you keep the Sabbath holy and not attend church every Sabbath? Conversly, can you attend church every Sunday and not keep it holy?

Psalm 87:2:

"The LORD loves the gates of Zion more than all the other dwelling places of Jacob."

God has a unique love for the corporate gathering of the Saints. He meets with His people and through the means of grace, strengthens their love for Him.

8"Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9Six days you shall labor, and do all your work, 10but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, you, or your son, or your daughter, your male servant, or your female servant, or your livestock, or the sojourner who is within your gates. 11For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

*Off topic...but had a thought...how do all the theistic evolutionists explain away the above verses...If that isn't a reference to a literal 24 hour day, I don't know what is.

Banjo

I've never consided Sunday, the first day of the week, to be a New Testament Sabbath.

Each and every day the early church met to study, pray, worship.
One the 1st day of the week, Lord's day, they remember Jesus' death thru taking the Lord's supper. But, since the Bible doesn't command us to do that, we don't have to. We only have to do what we are directly commanded to do. Or so we teach.

Is the example of the apostles, not a command? The New Testament never commands that the Lord Supper be given to women, yet it is...

Israel

BANNED
Is the example of the apostles, not a command? The New Testament never commands that the Lord Supper be given to women, yet it is...

What is the Lord's supper?
Who and by what authority does anyone "give it"?
The Lord's supper is not something "given" by anyone but Jesus, to be shared by the congregation of believers in Christ.
It is not a religious sacrament administered, but a life recognized and eaten.
No man of this world gives it to you, and no man alone can withold it.

Latest posts