Top Shelf Elk by Jack O'Connor

godogs57

Love love love Jack, always have, but that’s not a record book elk. About a 340, 340+ bull. I killed its duplicate in 2015 and it went 345. Heck of a bull though.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Enjoyed that..(y)

Articles written 50 years ago by him and those like him for the magazines we grew up on have a quality that Who Tube and those like it never will...
Well said, I grew up on his stories and others like him. A boy hunting small game in wood lots dreaming of hunting big game.

godogs57

A 270 can kill an elk? There have been quite a few on here over the years who said they can barely kill a deer. :rolleyes:
I’ll be trying to prove that this fall. I’ll be using one of my 270’s while stalking on my morning hunt. The afternoon hunts I’ll be sitting on a park (meadow) which will have longish shots. I’ll be using my 300 mag for that. You hear all kinds of junk on the 270’s ability to kill deer here. Funny thing is, you hear the exact same stories out west on elk…but they reference 7mm mag out there! “Worst cartridge ever for elk! Every wounded elk I’ve ever tracked down was shot with a 7 mag. It’s a bad choice for elk.” Bull manure on both observations! You bust that oil pump and he’s going down. If a 270 won’t kill a deer, or a 7 mag for elk….you‘ve just told everyone you can’t shoot worth a dang. Marksmanship counts…

Latest posts