Topping And Suckering Tobacco

Redbow

Now I know quite a few of the old timers here besides me have probably done this many times in their younger days. I used to even hate the thought of getting out there in the bakker patch for that reason. The day seemed to never end, the rows were long and the hot Sun broiled you relentlessly unless it was a cloudy day. Also we were expected to inspect each stalk of bakker for horn worms or bakker worms we called them. Pick them off and stomp them with your foot smash them make sure they were dead. My Grandpa hated nothing worse in this world than bakker worms..

Every two hours or so we got cool well water brought to us by one or two of the women from the house there was no ice water we didn't have ice at the house back then no refrigerator...Finally after what seemed like half of eternity had passed by someone would walk about half way to the bakker patch and shout, dinners ready y'all come on and get it.. Oh yes about an hour of heavenly relief with a good meal more cool water to wash it down with and a bit of rest under the big ole red oak trees in the shade before heading out to the bakker patch again..

Finally the steady topping and suckering of bakker was done, the fields were clean of tops and suckers and actually looked better with the flowering tops gone, and a few bakker worms to boot. A hard two days work on the farm carrying two rows at a time and hating ever minute of it, for me that is.. Anyway farm life back in those days was never meant to be a very pleasant or pleasing job, just something many of us back then had to do to scratch out a very poor living but we survived... There are many other reasons that I never intended to be a farmer.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I was sweating and remembering while I read that post. My folks were tobacco farmers and I was raised in the culture. Even after I was grown I`d take vacation from the power company and crop baccer and hang it to help em out. I have Mama`s old tie horse and an armload of sticks saved, and also got a bag of the last cooking that was done.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Lord, I do appreciate my upbringing and working on the farm, but I do not miss topping, suckering, cropping, (especially bottom cropping), tying, hanging, untying, and loading tobacco. I look back on that farm with fond memories, but not of tobacco.

Redbow

Lord, I do appreciate my upbringing and working on the farm, but I do not miss topping, suckering, cropping, (especially bottom cropping), tying, hanging, untying, and loading tobacco. I look back on that farm with fond memories, but not of tobacco.

Yes, I have fond memories of the farm life I was raised in I also appreciate my upbringing on the farm. It was an experience I have carried with me all my life.. Sharecropping was hard, my Grandparents never owned anything but an old worn out car and the clothes on their backs but they were wonderful people... There was a lot of love shared between us which is what really counts in life..

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member

When Daddy asked me if I wanted the allotment, I started to take it and hire you to work the field. :)

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
I used to mention about not getting paid on the farm every now and then . My Grandpa's answer for that was, boy you get paid every time you sit down at the table.. He had a point there.
True, but aggravating in my case. Nick got paid, Terry got paid, I did not get paid. They had more money back when they worked but hardly any by the time I came around.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
True, but aggravating in my case. Nick got paid, Terry got paid, I did not get paid. They had more money back when they worked but hardly any by the time I came around.

I don`t remember Terry ever working?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Spent many many days in such torments ..... I hated suckering and topping tobacco!!

Fourteen acreas .... I am sure I am a better person on account of it....

Our allotment was for 12 acres. I did seriously think about taking it when Daddy offered it to me. He didn`t want to see it lost.

WaltL1

I worked in the tobacco fields from age 13 to 17 in the Connecticut River Valley. Suckering, well..... sucked.
It was broad leaf tobacco used for the wrappers. Supposedly some of the best wrappers there is.

Artfuldodger

What was the process called where we had to shake a can on a stick of pesticide dust over the plants or just use your had and put a little bit in the buds? To keep the worms off? That wasn't too bad a job, topping was OK. As stated suckering sucked,lol.

I did enjoy hanging OK, cropping not so much. I didn't live on a farm so I got paid $8.00 a day and a really nice home cooked meal. Looking back, I remember the meals more than the money.

Last edited:

Keebs

Miss Moderator Ma Hen
Staff member
Since my Papa rented out his farmland, Mama & Daddy sent me & my older sisters to my uncles to top & crop, the oldest sister would take a row with me since I was the youngest, but yes, it was hot work...........even helped unstring later on and actually got paid for that, that was with my brother-in-laws Daddy & his bunch........lawd have mercy!:cheers:

Artfuldodger

Who worked on a harvester like this?
Harvester%206-12-57-M.jpg