Trapper question and answer thread.

280 Man

Banned
Question: I have no choice but to check before work which means I’m running the line from 0500-0615 give it take a few minutes. How much does this affect catches? I know I’ve rode through in the evenings and have a critter that wasn’t there when I checked that morning. Just wondering if that throws some of the larger predators off.

Look at the time on these pics. I had been checking these traps before work around 6 am as well. This particular morning I was off and waited until later in the morning to check. But you have to check when you are able!!

20190218_153948_resized.jpg20180705_154117_resized.jpg20180705_154135_resized.jpg

Last edited:

j_seph

What offset from the trap pan to the hole and what offset to the side from the hole. I used to have this in a notebook at one time as it does make a difference in catch rates.

Mark K

Banned
280 Man, that’s what I’m worried about. Running them off before catching them.

It’s mostly been coons, but I have had a landowner call and say I know you checked this morning, but what do you want me to do about this bobcat sitting in the trap? Happened with a coyote too.

It’s got me wondering if that’s why I did so good on my first little property I trapped. I was off and checks were every day about 0900-0930. It gave those right before dawn critters time to get caught.

furtaker

What offset from the trap pan to the hole and what offset to the side from the hole. I used to have this in a notebook at one time as it does make a difference in catch rates.
As a general rule I set my trap dead center and as close to the attractor as I can get it. My thoughts are that if you offset to one side or the other and the animal comes from the other side then you are going to miss him by a country mile. Just the way I do it and it works well for me. Alot of good trappers set further back and offset and I'm certainly not going to argue with their success. Go with what gives you confidence.

280 Man

Banned

There's many that swear by this offset or by that offset but personally, I don't think there's any hard and fast rule to this. What works for some may or may not work for you.

As Furtaker said, offset with what gives you the most confidence. Personally, I don't offset any but I also don't set right up at the hole either.

280 Man

Banned
280 Man, that’s what I’m worried about. Running them off before catching them.

It’s mostly been coons, but I have had a landowner call and say I know you checked this morning, but what do you want me to do about this bobcat sitting in the trap? Happened with a coyote too.

It’s got me wondering if that’s why I did so good on my first little property I trapped. I was off and checks were every day about 0900-0930. It gave those right before dawn critters time to get caught.

In a perfect world we could hunt, fish and trap all the time without the constraints of work but I don't live in any such world so when I have traps in the ground I check when I have the time, whether morning or evening time. That's about all anyone can do.

furtaker

280 Man,
Just curious, what kind of set caught that coyote in July? I've had about as much luck catching a coyote in the heat of summer as I have winning the Mega Millions.

Ol' Gobblero

If I am targeting coyotes, I normally set back about 8 inches and to the right about 3. Most catches are front right foot. Do I miss fox and coons? Yes I do sometimes, but sometimes I catch them by the back foot. If I am not targeting a certain animal I set about 3 inches back, centered.

Do I miss some coyotes setting my trap offset to the right? Im sure I do. But most of those coyotes were not interested enough to work the set. Just a sniff and go. If nothing scares them on the first pass, they will more than likely be back.

Ol' Gobblero

Summer yotes are tough. You have to be on location. That coyote’s daily range shrinks by up to 75%. They are no longer breeding and food preferences have changed somewhat. Most of my summer yotes are caught on urine and gland. Flat sets and urine posts. Even if they are not roaming as much, they will still mark territory boundaries.

furtaker

Summer yotes are tough. You have to be on location. That coyote’s daily range shrinks by up to 75%. They are no longer breeding and food preferences have changed somewhat. Most of my summer yotes are caught on urine and gland. Flat sets and urine posts. Even if they are not roaming as much, they will still mark territory boundaries.
It seems that blind trail sets would be effective in the summer if you can pin down exactly where they are traveling.

Ol' Gobblero

Blind sets most certainly would work great. No lure, gland, bait or urine to possibly scare juvenile coyotes or wary adults.

280 Man

Banned
280 Man,
Just curious, what kind of set caught that coyote in July? I've had about as much luck catching a coyote in the heat of summer as I have winning the Mega Millions.

I call it a modified dirt hole flat set...LOL... Makes sense aye..LOL A flat set with a little backing and a small hole punched in the ground with a old stake driving rod to about 5-6 inches deep. By the way, knowing how these coyotes use this area is a big help as well...

SemperFi

Last question for tonight. Do you ever use natural baits?
Been using whatever is leftover after cleaning quail. Also found a roadkill turkey and chopped it up with a machete. And we’ve been saving all our bobcat meat and like you, have it in 5 gallon buckets. I’ve been using the leg bones and rib cages chopped up with a machete as well. Caught critters on all, but it seems the bobcat bones actually outperforms the others.
I just use it sometimes to save on my commercial purchased bait.
Any thoughts? I’m guessing now that it’s hot it’s not going to last long down a hole before it starts getting pretty rancid.

I keep the leftovers from cleaning squirrels and put them down my dirt holes. I’ll keep the head, skin, and tails and use them like sheep’s wool. I’ll also pick up road kill rabbits and use for bobcat cubbies.

KILLNTM

A friend of mine started using leftover fish scraps last year. He caught a coyote right off the bat but then started having buzzard problems. As for trap placement, I tend to set back around 8 inches and to the right around 3 inches. I don't know if it makes that much difference or not. I set a trail cam earlier this season and that video showed the coyote working the set from every angle before getting caught. I likely would've caught him regardless of where the trap was placed. I think it boils down to how well a particular animal works the set and what features are around the set to guide his feet.

4x4

Anyone here an experienced beaver trapper? Ive caught 8 in the past 3 weeks in 2 different swamps. I have blind sets at the bottom of runs on the dams. I havent caught anything in a week and a half now, with 9 traps out. I can tell they are still active. Ive moved the traps around trying to trick em. Still nothing. Ive caught one in a foothold trap, bedding them less than a foot from the bank in the water. I cant seem to set them in the right location since that one was trapped. Ive yet to make any castor mound sets, probably my next step.

Any advise??

SemperFi

Anyone here an experienced beaver trapper? Ive caught 8 in the past 3 weeks in 2 different swamps. I have blind sets at the bottom of runs on the dams. I havent caught anything in a week and a half now, with 9 traps out. I can tell they are still active. Ive moved the traps around trying to trick em. Still nothing. Ive caught one in a foothold trap, bedding them less than a foot from the bank in the water. I cant seem to set them in the right location since that one was trapped. Ive yet to make any castor mound sets, probably my next step.

Any advise??

I would definitely start throwing some mud on the bank with a good castor lure and a foothold in front of it. I always place my footholds for a front foot catch. I always look at it if I miss the front foot I still have a shot at the back foot when it’s walking up on the bank. I’ll put a chest bump stick also to make sure he puts his foot down. You can also try a corn cob for bait.

4x4

I would definitely start throwing some mud on the bank with a good castor lure and a foothold in front of it. I always place my footholds for a front foot catch. I always look at it if I miss the front foot I still have a shot at the back foot when it’s walking up on the bank. I’ll put a chest bump stick also to make sure he puts his foot down. You can also try a corn cob for bait.
I appreciate the advise. I have 6-#4 Dukes should be here by friday. Gonna nightlatch them and get them in the water. Ordering some castor lure today too.

Cool Hand Luke

Great post! May be a stupid question but do lures and baits lose potency over time or do they just get better with age? Reason I ask is I found an jar of bobcat chunk bait I've had for years and barely had an odor at all. Would have thought it would stink to high heaven.

SemperFi

Great post! May be a stupid question but do lures and baits lose potency over time or do they just get better with age? Reason I ask is I found an jar of bobcat chunk bait I've had for years and barely had an odor at all. Would have thought it would stink to high heaven.

As long as it’s kept in a semi cool place it’ll be alright for quit a few years. Just give it a good stir at the beginning of trapping season. I always put some of my baits and lures in smaller containers at the start of the season so they’ll fit better in my bait bucket.

Mark K

Banned
Alright, got a question...for those that keep notes, how is your catch success during the Full Moon phase?
I’m not trying to make excuses for my inabilities, but I suck during the Full Moon. Same thing happened in Dec and Jan. I think during the few days prior to and after the actual full Moon I’ve caught a bobcat and that’s been it.
I may just have it in my head that it’s a bad time, but so far my records prove it. I’m nowhere near the trapper half of y’all are, but I can’t even catch a possum right now, lol!
So what say y’all, do you think the Moon has any effect on the predator/prey movement?