Advice for setting up new hunting property involving railroad

I recently got a new hunting property in another state who's laws about traversing railroad tracks are like ours. This is relavant to my question because the tract is basically 20 acres in a square with a RR running directly down the middle. The far side of the property borders National Park Service land of right at 200 acres (I have been unable to find out what this land is for (no visible signs from the road) and what potential hunting opportunities there are, even after contacting the Service local branch).

Land4Forum.jpg

Considering the rules against crossing the RR tracks, I plan to minimize ever going across except to retrieve a quality harvest and to do strategic cuts. The whole tract is mature woods. I'm looking for advice about how to best set it up. I was thinking I might clear cut a significant portion of the East side and potentially have the clearing near enough to the RR tracks so that it could be seen/hunted from a tree on the other side of the tracks. I'm looking to go up there (it's within an hour of the Canada border) once initially and stay quite some time until my initial cutting / setup is complete.

The below shows my idea for 15' high blind location (red star), with blue lines potential shooting lanes. Or/and the green oval the clear cut / hack squirt / some combination thereof. I'm open to/welcoming of criticism of this plan, or alternative suggestions.

Land4Forum02.jpg

Below is relavant info on RR hunting from this forum:

Know of a club where one of the most popular stands is a ground blind on the RR. They can and do shoot 400+ yards in each direction. They kill a lot of deer and wound even more. Whenever a train comes by, they duck out the back of the blind and hide in the woods until it passes. They have had ladder stands removed by the RR and been threatened with "criminal trespass" charges, but they continue to hunt there.

UNLAWFUL ACTIVITIES

• Hunting without landowners’ permission,
including power line, gas line, railroad
and other rights-of-way. Written permission must be obtained if land is so posted

Page 18 of 2011-12 Seasons and Regulations booklet.

slow motion

I've got no help for you but don't recommend hunting on or shooting across the railroad property as in the direction of some of your blue lines. Good luck.

Jdmb123

one of the best deer stands I’ve ever seen was on some tracks. They’ll actually stand on top eating from a corn pile.

I've got no help for you but don't recommend hunting on or shooting across the railroad property as in the direction of some of your blue lines. Good luck.
Is that for legal reasons? If it were yours, would you not even go on the other side because it's technically illegal to cross?

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Personally, I wouldn't hunt the track right of way, but I wouldn't have many qualms about crossing it on foot and hunting the other side.

Blackston

They like the grain that rattles outta them cars

slow motion

Is that for legal reasons? If it were yours, would you not even go on the other side because it's technically illegal to cross?
Crossing it I'd think would be okay. Although I don't honestly know either way. Shooting across it seems like shooting across a road. Which is not legal here. Might be legal in that state though.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
A train running right beside you gives you a chance to clear your throat, sneeze etc when hunting

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.

If you own both sides of the track, do what you want to on your property, and don't worry about the railroad. Ain't gon be no railroad folks trying to catch you and prosecute you for walking across tracks.

Just don't get runned over by a train...

And, if for some reason you wind up with a train stopped on your property, do NOT try to climb thru it. That gets a bunch a folks maimed and killed every year.

*I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night, but I do run trains for a livin'... :bounce: