Travel Trailer

Longhorn 16

Is there anyone who builds one that will last? Not talking Airstreams but just regular campers.

Several of my friends as well as myself have campers that have soft floors after a year or so.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
If I were shopping new, and wanted something well above average, I would go to the Northwest and pickup an Outdoors RV or Northwood Nash/or Arctic Fox (Sister Companies, started by Ron Nash).
Custom heavy duty frames, shock absorbers, 2" thick aluminum framed walls, dense foam block insulation in walls, arched ceilings, true 4 seasons insulation. Heavier than most, you will likely need a 3/4 ton truck on most models.

Lately, Forest River's Rockwood/Flagstaff line seems to be coming along in terms of initial quality.

FWIW, Nash is similarly built but with wood frame walls, and fiberglass insulation, but they are a great outdoors, heavy duty camper.

Common advice is to pick your floorplan, then your manufacturer. What are your needs in terms of layout, and what type of camping/where do you normally go?

Edit: if you want to get a closeup look at Northwood build quality, go by Southland RV and look at this Arctic Fox trailer.
Arctic Fox 22G

Last edited:

transfixer

In my experience unless someone is capable of building a complete frame that doesn't flex, including uprights and roof structure, they will all leak if towed down the road, quicker if towed on uneven dirt or gravel roads, as long as the body flexes , seams will not stay waterproof. I've never owned one of those with a fiberglass body that I assume are one piece,, so maybe those don't leak ? unless the fiberglass cracks from flexing ?

transfixer

If you seal them up yourself every other year they wont leak.
Very few maintain a camper.

thats easier said than done usually, I've tried various sealers over the years, roll on, spray on, caulk tube type, its almost like you have to put a coating off sealer over top of all the screws and all the seams everywhere to do any good,

I found some Eternabond 6in wide sealing tape a few years ago, that will work if you cover the suspected area completely, but it looks kinda goofy when you're done.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
thats easier said than done usually, I've tried various sealers over the years, roll on, spray on, caulk tube type, its almost like you have to put a coating off sealer over top of all the screws and all the seams everywhere to do any good,

I found some Eternabond 6in wide sealing tape a few years ago, that will work if you cover the suspected area completely, but it looks kinda goofy when you're done.
You nailed it. Every screw and seam and yes goofy looking but dry.

Artfuldodger

I think some have a traditional floor with a frame. You can repair this type easier if it ever does rot. The other type floor is Styrofoam sandwiched in between two sheets of very thin plywood. I understand this design is lighter but harder to repair.

Just something to consider when purchasing one.

Tunaman

BANNED
The newer ones, say 10 yrs new have one piece roofs...usually rubber. They should be sealed...caulked around the edges every couple yrs. Also wether aluminum OR fiberglass the need to be re-caulked/sealed every couple yrs. If not the walls WILL rot. I have a Keystone, Passport, I like the aluminum frame work. If/when if leaks OR gets condensation at least the frame work won't rot.
"Soft" floors, another word for "rotten" floor is USUALLY caused by leaking plumbing. You must ch the drain connections every time you tow the trailer/drive the motor home. Stuff moves on the road no matter who builds it!
Do you use pressure reducing valve on your water supply? You're supposed to. Maintain them or repair them, they ALL are cheap, even the best are CHEAP!! They have to be light, we want them 40' long with king sized beds and 3 slides but to be able to haul them with a Tonka toy, what do we expect??

Tunaman

BANNED
Soft floor is another way of saying “rotten floor”. Pretty much caused by water. Most common cause from leaky plumbing. Everything moves going down the road. Ck all of the plumbing you can every time you haul it...occasionally you will find leaks. My Keystone with plastic sink I have to disconnect sink drain before hauling or the bottom of the sink breaks out! Twice first year on new trailer!
Someone asked me once”what’s the best made travel trailer” I answered “whatever one you’re looking at”! Fact is the best one is basically cheap! They have to be light.