Trolling motor battery recommendations?

GAbuckhunter88

Whats everyone running for trolling motor batteries? Im adding a 36v to my boat and was looking to see whats the best battery? Been looking at lithium to save on weight but just not sure on the extra price for that.

Reactions: ggg

TommyWilt

I primarily fish electric only reservoirs. I bought three 100 AH hour LiFePo4 from Amped Outdoors at a cost of $699 each. Yes, it is a big upfront payout...but they are supposed to pay for themselves in the long run. Also, I have some spinal issues that made handling my old 70+ pound lead acid batteries problematic. The new batteries are 24 lbs each, which I can handle a lot easier.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
I use the Duracell AGM from Sam's. They are a great AGM for the price. I will most likely make the switch of Lithium in the near future. That technology has advanced to the point it is very reliable. The weight savings alone would be worth a ton in my tin boat.

LTZ25

View attachment 1133384I run (2) 100ah ionics on my 24v ulterra. I could run on speed 10 for 12hrs, run my big bait tank, then jump off every vehicle I pass on the way home and still be good.[/QUOTE
That's what I got , except I have 3 of the 60 ah , have not used them yet because boat still has not arrived , but hope the batteries do well .

LTZ25

In my boat I sold I had 3 AGM's from battery plus and they were as good as I've ever had .

campboy

I just bought a couple deep cycles from Batteries Plus. The employees are friendly and very helpful. I will never buy another battery of any kind from Wal-mart again.... ever

ghadarits

I haven't tried any of the lithium batteries (I am Intrigued however) so can't offer an opinion on them but I can on Optima batteries which are what I have in my boat now.
They hold a charge for a long time, I run my trolling 24v motor on two and all of my side and down scan electronics on the cranking battery all weekend without needing to be recharged. Then after all of that over a weekend they recharge in less than 4 hours more like 3 if it hasn't been too windy.

JROESEL

You can get remand group 31 interstate batteries for 60$ out the door, they come with six or twelve month warranty, I can’t remember exactly, I get them from the interstate battery in Columbus, I would think that most interstate battery locations probably do the same thing. I’ve gone through a pile of them and haven’t had a bad one yet, but like dpate said, those lithiums would take a lot of weight out of the rear of the boat, I’ve got five group 31 in the back of it,

Liquid nails

I’m pulling both my starting batteries and replacing them with a single 125ah ionic when they come back in stock. That would be well over 100lbs weight savings on my boat and you’ll never run it dead.

Dupree

I’m pulling both my starting batteries and replacing them with a single 125ah ionic when they come back in stock. That would be well over 100lbs weight savings on my boat and you’ll never run it dead.
I fish reservoirs and am intrigued by the price of the 50ah 36v. How would 50ah compare to 3- 31 series lead battery for my 36v ultrex? If you don’t know I’ll do some googling, just figured I’d ask you since you seem knowledgeable on the subject.

James12

I use the Duracell AGM from Sam's. They are a great AGM for the price. I will most likely make the switch of Lithium in the near future. That technology has advanced to the point it is very reliable. The weight savings alone would be worth a ton in my tin boat.

Heed this advice.

Liquid nails

I fish reservoirs and am intrigued by the price of the 50ah 36v. How would 50ah compare to 3- 31 series lead battery for my 36v ultrex? If you don’t know I’ll do some googling, just figured I’d ask you since you seem knowledgeable on the subject.
3 group 31’s would beat that lithium battery just because it’s not apples to apples. Most group 31’s are in the 125ah range and that one would only be 50ah. You get a windy day or fishing current with the trolling motor on the upper speeds and your gonna kill that battery. I’d vote for (3) 100ah batteries and series them up. That way you can use it for more than just the TM and all your eggs are not in the same basket.

I just went to Melton Hill lake in TN yesterday and we pulled boards from 8am till dark. First trip to TN. Trolling motor never stopped. Freezing cold. Snowed on us going through the mountains yesterday morning. Anyways, I was at 57% capacity left when we put it on the trailer with the battery that was just helping run the TM. The other battery I have it series up with was as 23% left when I got home early this morning. I had a 1100gph pump running my 100 gallon bait tank off of it. Plugged up the bait tank at 4am yesterday when I pulled out of my driveway and got back in at 1am this morning. Almost 24hrs. Impressive.

96B741EE-3433-45D0-AEE7-AF374195ADF5.jpeg

GTMODawg

BANNED
I have tried most of them other than lithiums and in 48 years of wrestling boat batteries I have never found a better option than Walmart Everstart's...with a caveat. I replace them EVERY February. For $90 or less apiece Walmart will replace them, no questions asked, and without any prorated charge, within 12 months. I buy new ones every second year, exchange them within 12 months and get two years out of one actual purchase for $45 each year. I have never had one fail. I abuse them, have had them go dead completely in the dead of winter and have never had one that could not be charged. I have had a bunch of the Optimas and similar highly rated batteries on my boats over the years and ALL have had issues....but not the cheap Walmart batteries....but only because I use them nearly 12 months and replace them. I do the same thing with my RV batteries. It takes a LOOOOONNNNGGGGG time at $45 a year per battery to justify spending $300 or more, at least for me. I install the cheap ones, plug in my onboard charger and forget them until February 1st and then haul them to Wally world and replace them. The manufacturer says they are maintenance free and I trust their word on the subject....and replace them annually. My current boat has 4 - 1 starting, two for the trolling motor, and one for accessories. My RV has 4 also plus the chasis battery for a total of 5. It is a heckuva buggy full in February and usually requires going to 2 different stores but it is the best solution I have found.

GAbuckhunter88

Thanks everyone, the lithium has me intrigued if for nothing else than the weight savings.

I have to make my decision this week as I am planning to mount the trolling motor and get everything setup this upcoming weekend.

jfinch

I went with the NextGen 36v 40ah battery with the stealth charger. It is the size of a single group 31 battery and only weighs 31 lbs. I don’t have a lot of time on it yet but so far it looks to be fantastic. The outboard charges the trolling battery when it is running. And the charger for the starting and house battery will charge it when plugged into shore power. So far the stealth charger has kept it above 90%. During a day’s fishing. This setup was only a few hundred dollars more than the Sam’s AGM’s and a 3 bank minn kota charger. C931655B-1918-4AB1-BFAA-C0F0710843F3.jpeg

DAWG1419

I just bought a couple deep cycles from Batteries Plus. The employees are friendly and very helpful. I will never buy another battery of any kind from Wal-mart again.... ever
When you try to use the batteries plus warranty you will never buy another battery from them again…..ever. I won’t.