Trout at Callaway Gardens

waregle1

I just spoke with Paul Hudson at Kingfisher Outfitters and they will be stocking the Lakes of Callaway Gardens again this year with trout. The stocking date is set for Nov. 16.

If you have never done the winter trout trips at Callaway I highly recommend it and if you have done the trip you know what I am talking about....these trips are flyfishing only & catch and release only.

Callaway stocks nice size trout each year and this has always been a trip I look forward to. :cool:

I will be booking my winter trips soon...

Kim Youngblood
(aka waregle1)

jeshoffstall

Kim

I would love more information on this. I assume fishing lakes? Drift tubes? I assume there is a fee? Dates open? reservations required?

Thanks,
Jack

shortround1

Gone But Not Forgotten
I just spoke with Paul Hudson at Kingfisher Outfitters and they will be stocking the Lakes of Callaway Gardens again this year with trout. The stocking date is set for Nov. 16.

If you have never done the winter trout trips at Callaway I highly recommend it and if you have done the trip you know what I am talking about....these trips are flyfishing only & catch and release only.

Callaway stocks nice size trout each year and this has always been a trip I look forward to. :cool:

I will be booking my winter trips soon...

Kim Youngblood
(aka waregle1)
if it is catch and release, what happens to the trout during the hot summertime?:whip::huh::huh:

WinMag.300

callaway

the fishing is catch and release. They die in the summer time. Fly fishing only also. Float tubes or personal pontoons. Fee is 200 for a half day or 300 for a full day. The fish are feisty and fairly large. They are only in some of the lakes at callaway. Great experience either way.

stuart smith

Catch and Release then they die.That is dumb!!!Pay 2 or 3 hundred dollars to catch and release to the death of a fine eating fish,I just don't get it.That is some pricey sportfishing.I really think that this is absurd.The turtles must eat good come May.I wonder if you can trap and eat them?Nah... Catch and Release.

Gumbo1

Catch and Release then they die.That is dumb!!!Pay 2 or 3 hundred dollars to catch and release to the death of a fine eating fish,I just don't get it.That is some pricey sportfishing.I really think that this is absurd.The turtles must eat good come May.I wonder if you can trap and eat them?Nah... Catch and Release.

Well, it is Gallaway, big money talking up there. Try 18 holes of Golf after a half day of catch and release, then dinner!

KDarsey

I was biting my tongue....................

stuart smith

Well, it is Gallaway, big money talking up there. Try 18 holes of Golf after a half day of catch and release, then dinner!

I hear ya Gumbo1.It just seems a little wasteful.I bet with all those activities you would be set back a few dollars.:rolleyes:

Resica

:cool:

WinMag.300

It is a lil pricey, but so much of georgias trout waters are put and take and your lucky to catch fish that may go 14 inches. We need some waters with a slot limit so we can have some decent sized fish. So many people just keep every fish and fill their limit. Those that want to catch qaulity rather than quantity are left with paying a high fee. I fish public and private waters, it really upsets me when I see people fill a stringer full of fish that are just 9 inches long....If we just let those fish make it for a year they would be nice sized fish. Trout grow fast. Kudos to callaway for letting people keep a few when the water starts to warm. You best believe that some of the folks that work there take home their share. I for one enjoy eating trout but see no reason to keep 8 anytime I am on the water. I may keep three at most and they are usually larger than 12 inches.

Callaway is a great place I always get a fishing membership each year. Mountain creek lake is great also, and only a boat rental fee is required, you can keep the fish also. The bass and bream fishing through kingfisher outfitters fly fishing only also, is catch and release also. Its how they maintain such a superb fishery. The soque, tickanetly, and other various waters which maintian or encourage catch and release have some phenomenal sized trout. If someone came in and kept 8 fish every day times 50 people the fishing would be decimated.

fishndoc

WinMag, you heart is in the right place, and I agree trout can grow very fast, but only if they get plenty of food. Unfortunately, very very few Ga streams have enough bugs to allow trout to grow to their potential; our streams are just too acidic.

The reason we get big trout from Soque, Dukes, etc is gallons of trout pellets poured regularly into the stream.

Even in the better quality, back country streams of the Smokies, where most anglers willing to make the hike in are C&R fishermen, a wild trout over 12" is uncommon, and over 16" is a trophy.

WinMag.300

Thanks

That is true, but if we put forth the extra effort we could have fish that are larger than average or some year round holdovers. Everyone enjoys catching larger fish. My point was simply that if we didnt keep so many small fish the chances of catching larger fish will increase. This is why so many places charge because they put forth the effort to keep large fish. That is simply my point. In fact I would be happy if the DNR would keep back some of the stockings, to allow the fish to get larger and have a larger sized fish to stock in the first place.
WinMag, you heart is in the right place, and I agree trout can grow very fast, but only if they get plenty of food. Unfortunately, very very few Ga streams have enough bugs to allow trout to grow to their potential; our streams are just too acidic.

The reason we get big trout from Soque, Dukes, etc is gallons of trout pellets poured regularly into the stream.

Even in the better quality, back country streams of the Smokies, where most anglers willing to make the hike in are C&R fishermen, a wild trout over 12" is uncommon, and over 16" is a trophy.

bonedog

Is it a "natural" fishery? No. Is it a heckuva lot of fun? Yes. It is not free but if you're interested in an unusual fishing experience (for this state) in an absolutely beautiful setting I'd suggest trying it sometime (if you can afford it). On Sunday afternoons at the chapel pond you can catch fish while listening to everything from Bach to Andrew Lloyd Webber played on the chapel organ. After trying it you can judge if it is for you or not. Thanks for posting, Kim.
bd

waregle1

Heck yeah!!!

Hey Mark let's go fishing...and you to Josh...:yeah:

Kim Youngblood
(aka waregle1)

bonedog

Hey Mark let's go fishing...and you to Josh...:yeah:

Kim Youngblood
(aka waregle1)

Absolutely, Kim. It's been too long. I hear you've been traveling all over lately (did I hear India?). Sounds like you're building up some frequent flier miles :)
bd

centerc

Check the Dougout in Kennesaw I think they stock their lake for fly fishing too. It would be a lot cheaper, they also have a good selection of flies.

waregle1

India????

mark you are getting me confused with George...India??? I hope not...:huh:

Kim Youngblood
(aka waregle1)