Tungsten Super Shot for Deer and Ducks...

the law requires “buckshot”
I never said it wouldn’t kill a deer
T F and BB are mentioned as waterfowl loads
This is another example of how technology gets ahead of the law as written

I’m just pointing out you might have an issue if you’re out there blasting away at a deer with what is listed as a waterfowl load

Same as a 410 slug will easily kill a deer now today but it’s not legal to shoot deer with —-but a .25 automatic is a legal deer caliber
---------------------------------------------------------------
I don't think so.

Consider:

Ammunition development is market and technology driven.

SAAMI standards are voluntary, even for SAAMI member companies.

The regulation simply says "Buckshot."

The composition and diameter of buckshot, along with buckshot shell design, has changed radically since the late 20th century. Encompassing buckshot pellets much larger and smaller within each gauge.

The regulation simply says "Slugs."

The composition, diameter and design of "slugs" has changed radically since the late 20th century. Encompasing slugs much larger and smaller within each gauge.

Last edited:

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
I could see a couple hog loads making their way into my bag while duck hunting especially on those long public land walks.

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
Or how about those 75 yard snow goose shots :bounce:

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
---------------------------------------------------------------
I don't think so.

Consider:

Ammunition development is market and technology driven.

SAAMI standards are voluntary, even for SAAMI member companies.

The regulation simply says "Buckshot."

The composition and diameter of buckshot, along with buckshot shell design, has changed radically since the late 20th century. Encompassing buckshot pellets much larger and smaller within each gauge.

The regulation simply says "Slugs."

The composition, diameter and design of "slugs" has changed radically since the late 20th century. Encompasing slugs much larger and smaller within each gauge.
You just proved my point.

Rich M

I just don't see it as responsible to intentionally shoot a hog or deer with .20 or less diameter bird shot.

It isn't about the deer/hogs that fall DRT, it is the ones that get a pellet or two in the lungs/guts and run off.

They do sell the tungsten in larger sizes, including ML balls. Those have to be amazing - thru a tree and the game and the tree behind it kind of penetration.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
the law requires “buckshot”
I never said it wouldn’t kill a deer
T F and BB are mentioned as waterfowl loads
This is another example of how technology gets ahead of the law as written

I’m just pointing out you might have an issue if you’re out there blasting away at a deer with what is listed as a waterfowl load

Same as a 410 slug will easily kill a deer now today but it’s not legal to shoot deer with —-but a .25 automatic is a legal deer caliber

I wish we didn't have those weapon restrictions, they really aren't necessary. The .25 caliber pistol is a perfect example, it's legal but no one is actually going to hunt with one because we all like to retrieve the deer we shoot.

cowhornedspike

Missed the point:

Apex ammunition recommends TSS sizes 2, BB and T for deer and hog hunting. This expands the size range of available factory loaded buckshot.

Tungsten Super Shot sizes 2, BB & T, ( .15", .18" and .20" respectively), are are suitable for both waterfowl & deer. Thus these are both non-toxic waterfowl shot and buckshot at the same time.

Also from the waterfowl hunters standpoint:

-------------------------------------
Non-Toxic Shot
Any 10-gauge or smaller loaded with federally approved nontoxic shot of size "F" or smaller. No lead shot may be in possession while hunting waterfowl.

https://georgiawildlife.com/FederalRegulationsSummary

-------------------------------------

I think most waterfowl hunters realize the Federal Regulations set approved types of non-toxic shot and the size limit of the shot for waterfowl hunting is left up to the States to determine.

Size "F" is a nominal .22" in diameter.

No one who uses AND understands TSS would hunt waterfowl with one of these 2, BB, or T loads in the first place. Apex knows this.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I wish we didn't have those weapon restrictions, they really aren't necessary. The .25 caliber pistol is a perfect example, it's legal but no one is actually going to hunt with one because we all like to retrieve the deer we shoot.
I agree.
Same as the weight restriction on bows we used to have. Sounds great but it’s unenforceable
Not to mention outdated with new technology

R and D

I know some of the guys that were doing testing on the BB loads...full penetration thru deer @60yds and with broke leg bones and such....sounded pretty devastating...more pellets=more holes in target at all ranges

R and D

Forgot to add ...I was given some BB 3" 20ga loads...have only shot 1 of them thru my gun, killed 4 small/medium hogs w one shot on cornpile@50 yds...

Indeed so.

Particularly in light of this:
--------------------------------------------
  • Air Guns: Any air rifle of at least .30 caliber or air bow utilizing unignited compressed gas or air is legal during primitive weapons and firearms seasons.
http://www.eregulations.com/georgia/hunting/hunting-information/

----------------------------------------------

sleepr71

I get it now. Better performance,in a lower recoil gun. Especially for those with neck/back issues. Hopefully it will come down in price...I’d Love to have some in 12 + 20 ga BB shot. Should make a heckuva Coyote & self defense load ?

cowhornedspike

I get it now. Better performance,in a lower recoil gun. Especially for those with neck/back issues. Hopefully it will come down in price...I’d Love to have some in 12 + 20 ga BB shot. Should make a heckuva Coyote & self defense load ?
You sorta get it but you actually don't get it very well yet.
BB is waaaay over kill for yotes and as a self defense load would kill folks in the next house after killing the perp in your house.
This stuff is much better than folks that haven't studied it understand. You are getting there though:)

sleepr71

Coool? Still can’t get past the $5-10/shell cost. A minor side note: it sounds like this stuff would really do a number on a cuber,grinder,or..your Teeth..if you bit down on it. I guess you’d be X-Raying any meat you wanted to consume. ? At least Lead gives a little...

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Coool? Still can’t get past the $5-10/shell cost. A minor side note: it sounds like this stuff would really do a number on a cuber,grinder,or..your Teeth..if you bit down on it. I guess you’d be X-Raying any meat you wanted to consume. ? At least Lead gives a little...
If you gonna run with the big dawgs you don’t worry about price