Turkey Ammo

Addicted to Antlers

What turkey ammo are you using and why?

I have Federal premium TSS 12ga 3 1/2 7 shot 2 1/4 oz

Also have Winchester 12ga Long beard XR 3 1/2 5 shot 2 oz

Planning to use the Winchester for the shot lok technology for extremely tight long range patterns.

Dupree

I’m shooting apex 12ga 2 1/4oz 3” 8’s and 8.5’s. I like it because it’s a dense pattern at 40 but also broad enough for wiggle room.
My sons gun is set up shooting Boss 20ga 2oz of 9’s with a factory full choke. It’s a nice even pattern that’s more than dense enough to kill anywhere in a 24” circle at 40

Turkeytider

Hevi-13 3”, 2oz. #6. It’s been discontinued ( of course) but I have enough to probably last the rest of my turkey hunting career.

chrislibby88

Hevi magnum blend 5,6,7 3inch. Throws loose enough not to wiff the close shots and I get good pelet count at 40-50 yards for a dead bird. I’ve got 2 boxes of TSS that I’ve never even patterned. I hunt thick wooded WMAs only so I never need to stretch past 50yards.

Beagler282

“Rabbit Man”
12 guage...3" LB xr #6
20 guage...Apex #9

TomC

Longbeard XR #6 in 12 or 20 gauge. I thought I'd need TSS when I switched over to a 20 gauge. Not so much. I'm good out to 40yds in my little 870 youth 20 gauge so if it turns out I need TSS then I probably need to brush up on my calling skills.

frankwright

Longbeard XR #6 in 12 or 20 gauge. I thought I'd need TSS when I switched over to a 20 gauge. Not so much. I'm good out to 40yds in my little 870 youth 20 gauge so if it turns out I need TSS then I probably need to brush up on my calling skills.
I have to agree. I have seen awesome 20 ga and 410 patterns out to 60 yards with the TSS. But I can't make myself pay $10 for one shell.
I figure if I can't get a turkey to come in from 50/60 yards to 30/40 yards then it is my fault. Plus like deer hunting I like to get them in close, half the fun!

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
40ty yards is a good shot. ?
Can’t beat that. How many you done killed this year.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
KY season doesn't open until 4/17. Can only shoot 1 buck in the fall and a short spring turkey season. Can't imagine anyone wanting to hunt in KY :)
I’m sure u will get one. ?

Tadder

#5 ARE #6 WIN ARE REM. Don't see the need too pay $50 for 5 shots of TSS too shot a turkey at less than 30yds. If he aint gobbling and strutting in my lap I aint going too shot him.(y)

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
#5 ARE #6 WIN ARE REM. Don't see the need too pay $50 for 5 shots of TSS too shot a turkey at less than 30yds. If he aint gobbling and strutting in my lap I aint going too shot him.(y)
Have you been hearing any this year.