TURKEY SPECIAL IN March's G ON'S MAGAZINE

herb mcclure

As a frequently posting turkey man on this Turkey Talk Forum, I will say, The story about the wild turkeys in this mouth GON magazine, were a delight to read. Especially Bobby Thompson's "ALL FOR LOVE". Learning of his father "Mr. Bob", who hunted in the fifties and afterwards like I have. Although, our hunting conditions where we hunted, seem to be a lot different of each other. However, I did hunt with the legendarily Ben Rogers Lee on a two day Spring Gobbler hunt.

Also, Donald Jarrett's "Old Habit Gobblers" has many great points about hunting gobblers. Over the years gone by, I have always maintained that a gobbler that's hunted often and not taken, will pattern a hunter. I for one, should know, because basically I learned to hunt what I called a 'CALLING PLACE, instead of the "Run and Gun" style of turkey hunting.

Now to what I fell-like is a very good analysis of the wild turkey's troubles of decline. Thanks to Mike Bolton for putting together this article in GON. But, my hat is off really to WRD's State Wild Turkey Coordinator Miss, Emily Rushton, who explains the various studies conducted, and explains many of the problems turkeys are faced with. She also, explains wow having a wet soil in early Spring helps ground cover for hens to hide their nest and makes for insects for young poults to bug on in Summer mounts.

Having a latter season opener, I for one subscribe too.

Thanks GON for your turkey special

FLGobstopper

Mr. Herb thank you for your wise words. I got my GON mag in the mail yesterday but haven't had a chance to read it yet. Just a question since you mentioned something about that might be answered in the article or might not. What are your thoughts on staggered opening and closing season dates regionally in the state?

You mentioned the differences between where you hunt and some of the others is why I'm asking. Just curious if there's ever been any consideration for that?

I actually don't live in GA, but been hunting there for 20+ years because I'm just a hop and jump across the river to be there. So, I have the benefit to hunt FL and GA frequently. Didn't make it this year, but this past weekend a year ago I was in S FL around Okeechobee for youth season with my daughter. In FL we have a southern opener 2 weeks before the rest of the state. From what I've seen a lot happens in that distance and in those 2 weeks with what the turkeys are doing.

This past weekend I was a couple hours north doing some scouting and it appears what's happening there and timing of breeding as well as greenup, etc is a lot different than what's going on in my area in FL and where I hunt a lot a couple hours south of me. And that's all drastically different then what's happening in S FL.

I've only hunted N GA mountain birds a couple times and my experience is limited, all though I love it and wish I could do it more. But, I'd have to guess there's an incredible difference between extreme S GA and N GA. My 2 trips up there were both late April and to me it appeared that there is a good difference probably of at least a week or 2 with breeding cycle.

So, just curious your thoughts on this and if you think it's a viable management decision for turkeys to stagger season dates? Thank you for your time and experience.

herb mcclure

Fl Gobstopper . My personal opinion is that Georgia should have two regional seasons, one for the southern section below what is considered the fall-line counties, and a second opening season above those same fall-line counties to the North, that's just me. There is a difference in most years of two weeks time in green-up here in North Georgia mountains between foothills elevation and the three thousand ft. elevation, where I have always hunted.
To set any regional seasons that is a WRD's board thing, and maybe even the Georgia Legislators to make those changes.
For right now, I am with the wildlife lady who recommendation is getting Georgia's turkey hen pout count up from 1.8, Whatever it takes, even if it's letting turkeys have a unmolested breeding season for a while.....

FLGobstopper

Thank you for the input and I agree on the change for the time being until we see some positive change in breeding and nesting success.