Turkey Study Released - Cedar Creek

Does anyone know if they have finally wrapped up the turkey study on Cedar creek and if so does anyone have a link to their results?

buckpasser

It’ll let us know that what the unbiased scientists are pushing for, I mean researching, is, in fact absolutely and Infallibly what they thought all along. Shooting gobblers before June in GA somehow causes hens to become deeply depressed to the point of no longer rearing young and in some cases literally sacrificing themselves to coyotes, bobcats or car bumpers.

They’ll also diplomatically suggest the solution- to ban hunting until early summer. Problem solved. Sure, GA hens for many years reproduced perfectly under the old regs, but they’ve seen what peaceful protests and riots get you in this country and now they’ve all grown out feather patterns that clearly read “TLM” (Tom Lives Matter).

Last edited:

QuackAttack101

It’ll let us know that what the unbiased scientists are pushing for, I mean researching, is, intact absolutely and Infallibly what they thought all along. Shooting gobblers before June in GA somehow causes hens to become deeply depressed to the point of no longer rearing young and in some cases literally sacrificing themselves to coyotes, bobcats or car bumpers.

They’ll also diplomatically suggest the solution- to ban hunting until early summer. Problem solved. Sure, GA hens for many years reproduced perfectly under the old regs, but they’ve seen what peaceful protests and riots get you in this country and now they’ve all grown out feather patterns that clearly read “TLM” (Tom Lives Matter).

Do you have any data to back up your "GA hens for many years reproduced perfectly under the old regs" statement? The only scientific studies I'm aware of point to a declining population. My anecdotal evidence would suggest that there are fewer and fewer gobblers around each year. Most folks on this forum who hunt more than one private land honey hole would also agree that numbers are declining.

Oh yeah, this cedar creek study is actually trying to determine what affects predators (including humans) have on turkey gobbling. Sure they're also examining some nesting habits of hens but the number one objective of the study is about gobbling and male behavior during the breeding/hunting season.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
Gobbling and male behavior is different every year I walk into the woods. Pecking order. Loads of poults the first 2 weeks of May. No trapping. No talk of limiting out, in case the turkeys are listening. Actual turkey habitat. Improvements to lesser habitat.

Public land, on the other hand, good luck with that.

buckpasser

Do you have any data to back up your "GA hens for many years reproduced perfectly under the old regs" statement? The only scientific studies I'm aware of point to a declining population. My anecdotal evidence would suggest that there are fewer and fewer gobblers around each year. Most folks on this forum who hunt more than one private land honey hole would also agree that numbers are declining.

Oh yeah, this cedar creek study is actually trying to determine what affects predators (including humans) have on turkey gobbling. Sure they're also examining some nesting habits of hens but the number one objective of the study is about gobbling and male behavior during the breeding/hunting season.

I don’t feel obligated to produce any research. I’m not one of those pushing for a change, but if you don’t think they are pushing for one, just hang on tight. If you’d like to do your own research, just look up how many years GA has had a spring turkey season, then chart populations. They boomed after restocking. They now go up and down. As was stated, quality of habitat, trapping or lack thereof, disease and most of all weather, make populations go up and come down. There are many here that think hens aren’t able to find a suitable mate due to hunting and hunting pressure. Their passion combined with biologists wanting to justify their work (not putting it down BTW) will likely lead to less hunting season. That may or may not be about the time population swings back up anyway, and poof! - They saved the world. As you can tell, I’m not on the “hen can’t get topped” bandwagon. The army of turkey hunters that have come to the sport over the past couple decades feel entitled to a pile of dead gobblers each year, and something besides their skill level must be wrong if they can’t get her done.

Resica

I don’t feel obligated to produce any research. I’m not one of those pushing for a change, but if you don’t think they are pushing for one, just hang on tight. If you’d like to do your own research, just look up how many years GA has had a spring turkey season, then chart populations. They boomed after restocking. They now go up and down. As was stated, quality of habitat, trapping or lack thereof, disease and most of all weather, make populations go up and come down. There are many here that think hens aren’t able to find a suitable mate due to hunting and hunting pressure. Their passion combined with biologists wanting to justify their work (not putting it down BTW) will likely lead to less hunting season. That may or may not be about the time population swings back up anyway, and poof! - They saved the world. As you can tell, I’m not on the “hen can’t get topped” bandwagon. The army of turkey hunters that have come to the sport over the past couple decades feel entitled to a pile of dead gobblers each year, and something besides their skill level must be wrong if they can’t get her done.

How many more turkey hunters do you have compared to 20 years ago?

buckpasser

In my area (extreme south GA/N FL) I can assure you there are hundreds, maybe even thousands of fair weather turkey hunters that have emerged in the past 20 years. I hunted on over 1000 acres in Grady county for my entire childhood and teenage years and there was never even anyone else that was interested in it. It’s a different world here now. I feel fortunate that I was a turkey hunter before it was cool. It gave me many great opportunities that are now closed doors. It was fun.

across the river

Shooting male turkeys would not cause a year over year population decline, unless there was another factor ( habitat) in play. You could ban turkey hunting all together or quail for that matter and get the same result.

Last edited:

Buckman18

Shooting make turkeys would not cause a year over year population decline, unless there was another factor ( habitat) in play. You could ban turkey hunting all together or quail for that matter and get the same result.

Exactly! In our State, we have several examples of turkey populations that receive no hunting pressure, or almost none, in the mountain region. Look at any of the many wilderness areas. 10's of 1000's of acres that NEVER see a turkey hunter.

Perhaps the Cohutta wilderness sees some action, but most of the rest = none or almost none.

across the river

Everyone tends to want to correlate the “status” of stuff based on there own experience. If you aren’t hearing as many turkeys as you did before or don’t see as many deer as you used to, then the DNR is supposed to “fix it.” There are tractors with good habitat that are doing well. Overall, however, there is less early succession habitat ( and more predators) in the state than there was 20 or 30 years ago which is the is with populations all across the South. Changing the season dates, reducing limits, etc.......that were the same when populations were “good” according to people, would not have any impact overall.

cowhornedspike

From what I understand they didn't get the results from the delayed start that showed the proper findings so you likely won't see them bragging about the study anywhere.
BUT they shortened the season anyway... who'd a thunk it.

whatman

In my area (extreme south GA/N FL) I can assure you there are hundreds, maybe even thousands of fair weather turkey hunters that have emerged in the past 20 years. I hunted on over 1000 acres in Grady county for my entire childhood and teenage years and there was never even anyone else that was interested in it. It’s a different world here now. I feel fortunate that I was a turkey hunter before it was cool. It gave me many great opportunities that are now closed doors. It was fun.
those were the days!

across the river

Has anyone seen any kind of formal report? I can't seem to find anything other than this link.

Thanks.
I have not. However, in my experience, if the results show what the people running the study want it to, the results will be plastered all over everything for the world to see. If the results are no where to be found, then they didn’t support the “hypothesis.”

buckpasser

From what I understand they didn't get the results from the delayed start that showed the proper findings so you likely won't see them bragging about the study anywhere.
BUT they shortened the season anyway... who'd a thunk it.

This.

buckpasser

I have not. However, in my experience, if the results show what the people running the study want it to, the results will be plastered all over everything for the world to see. If the results are no where to be found, then they didn’t support the “hypothesis.”

And this.