Turkey travel and small private woodlots

Luvntheoutdors

I hunt 100 acres of mature hardwoods/pine mix in So. Fulton. Plenty of creeks and forage but no food plots or wide open areas. I have been on the lease for 8 years. Never seen a bird on camera or any sign during the deer season. I spoke to a neighboring land owner who is 80yo. has lived there all his life. He walks his property roadbeds daily along the property line and has never seen a turkey or sign . So I am wanting to know is there a chance that they just don't hold up on the property during the fall and winter but maybe there during the Spring during turkey season? I know I need to probably just go sit and listen first light but my hopes are so low for the property. I always have had my success on public land in the past. Anyone ever kill turkey on small parcels?

specialk

i live there and have a much smaller spot than you, they are there but it's hit and miss....they pass thru my foodplot now and then....i've had them eat seed under my bird feeder at the back door in the pass.....i saw 8 sunday in a guys yard, 3 were long beards.....no gobbling yet for me though.....

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
My buddies house is on 5 acres but backs up to 1000 more. Mostly pines and hardwoods. Closest real fields are a good quarter mile down the rd, but some are huge, then lots of pastures. I bet I saw 50 birds a few weeks back in a field as I drove to his house
We also had A solid 9+ male birds were coming to the feeder on the daily. No corn since January, and he says he hasn’t heard them, but I don’t think he’s outside listening like I would be.
I have no other private place to hunt, so I plan on spending opening week there……still out of work, so it might be everday!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
My hope in the above scenario is that most of the boys will split up and spread out. They cannot be too far! Of the 9 birds I saw one day, only 3 were jakes and the others had much longer beards. A few of them were Boss!

I’d at least go and check it out.

six

I’d hit it early just to satisfy my curiosity. But I’d have a plan B hopefully within an hours drive from there. The only reason I go early is to hear the show. As far as killing, as long as I’m in my spot by 9:30-10:00 I’m good.

Hawken2222

I own 69 acres that is surrounded by larger tracts. Fortunately my small tract has very ideal turkey habitat . With that said , The thing is you can blow out it in a minute. You have to hunt small tracts very carefully and be very patient. The turkeys come and go on my trail cameras, but even though they don’t always show up on camera doesn’t mean they aren’t there. I have had some jam up fun hunts in my small ground you just have to hunt it different

tad1

Small tracts are tough., a smart ole gobbler will try and call you across the line

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
You just never know here, satellite toms can be anywhere any given day. I've got a couple 20 acre spots and one 60 acre tract, surrounded by hunt clubs or NPS...different every time you hunt

sportsman94

I own 69 acres that is surrounded by larger tracts. Fortunately my small tract has very ideal turkey habitat . With that said , The thing is you can blow out it in a minute. You have to hunt small tracts very carefully and be very patient. The turkeys come and go on my trail cameras, but even though they don’t always show up on camera doesn’t mean they aren’t there. I have had some jam up fun hunts in my small ground you just have to hunt it different

That’s pretty identical to my only private land spot. 40 acre clearcut with the other 27 being made up of thick pines and a swamp. The first year it was cut they roosted right on the edge. Ever since it got thicker they roost off the property or in the swamp. I normally wait until a couple weeks into the season (old season dates) before hunting it and then go in looking to kill one on the first hunt. I only hunt it a couple times a season and if one gets your number it’s going to be a rough season out there

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
I’m on 40 acres that is fairly open bottomland hardwoods. I see and hear gobblers north and south of me fairly often, but rarely have any on my place. I’ve never gotten serious about hunting them in hopes that the population will grow. I’m confident though that on the right day I could pull one in. I’m sure you could too.