Twice Dead Men

NoOne

Gone but not forgotten.
The Bible has much to say about dead men. There is a very interesting but solemn statement in the Bible: “It is appointed unto men once to die; but after this the judgment.” Hebrews 9:27. And surely there is no more interesting question in the Bible or in any other book than the question of Job 14:14: “If a man die, shall he live again?” Many centuries after this question was asked a Man who was different from all other men stood beside the sepulcher of a dead man. That dead man was Lazarus. He had been dead for four days. Men had been dying four thousand years or four days. The living Man, who stood near the sepulcher, is called in the Bible, “The Man of Sorrows.” He is also called “The Second Man From Heaven.” I Corinthians 15:47. In I Timothy 2:5 He is called “The Man Christ Jesus.” That Second Man From Heaven was at the sepulcher to raise that dead man to life. Before He performed that wonderful miracle He made a wonderful statement. He said, “I am the resurrection, and the life; he that believeth in Me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in Me shall never die.” Then He thus commanded that dead man, “Lazarus, come forth.” “And he that was dead came forth.” John 11:44.

There are some people who believe that later on, in some miraculous way, this man Lazarus left this world without dying, because the Bible states that it is appointed unto men ONCE to die, and therefore Lazarus did not again experience physical death.

This, of course, is human speculation. There is no Scriptural proof that Lazarus did not die twice physically, but in considering the twice-dead men of the Bible we are not thinking of Lazarus or others who were raised from the dead by the Lord Jesus and His servants. The Lord Jesus in very plain language commanded His disciples to raise the dead. Matthew 10:7.

PLUCKED UP BY THE ROOTS

We read also of twice-dead men in Jude 12. These were religious men, “twice dead, plucked up by the roots.” In Hebrews 9:14 we learn that by the blood of Jesus Christ some religious Hebrews were purged from dead works. The Bible teaches us that men may be very religious and still be dead before they die physically. The unsaved man, whether or not he is religious, is declared to be dead in sins. When such a dead sinner turns to religion and religious works and religious things, instead of turning to the Man who said, “I am the resurrection and the life,” there is a sense in which that religious sinner is twice dead.

How very many dead sinners are going religiously to perdition only the omniscient God knows. “The foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are His.” II Timothy 2:19.

The Bible clearly teaches that the dead sinner cannot find life in religion, but in a Person. The best Christian who ever lived on this earth said, “For to me to live is Christ.” Philippians 1:21. But in this message we have in mind other twice-dead men rather than these twice-dead religious sinners.

THE SECOND DEATH

We might mention a third group of twice-dead men described in the Bible. This is by far the largest group of all. Note these solemn words in Revelation 20:12 to 15: “And I saw the dead, small and great stand before God” . . . “and the dead were judged” . . . “And the sea gave up the dead which were in it.” “And death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire.” “This is the second death.” “And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.” Note the words: “This is the Second Death.” These men had died physically and later on they are to experience the sorrows of the second death. Surely they are twice-dead men. Until the Second Man comes the second time, first to give incorruptible bodies to His redeemed people, even the most consecrated saints must experience that death which is absence from the body, until Christ shall rapture His Church. God’s Word is plain that He will have all men to be saved by faith in the Man Jesus Christ. I Timothy 2:3 to 6. Therefore, men may escape the Second Death, though they experience physical death. It is blessed to know that many men (twice-alive) will go to their heavenly home without experiencing even the physical death, for this will be the experience of all of the Lord’s redeemed ones who are alive when the Lord Himself shall raise the dead saints and call the living saints to meet Him in resurrection bodies. I Corinthians 15:51 to 56. Philippians 3:20 and 21. I Thessalonians 4:13 to 18.

DEAD WHO HEAR CHRIST

Note the life and death, or death and life, messages of the Lord Jesus in John 5:24 to 29: “Verily, verily, I say unto you, he that heareth my word, and believeth on Him that sent Me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation: but is passed out of death into life.” “Verily, verily, I say unto you, the hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.” . . . “Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear His voice, and shall come forth; they that have done good unto the resurrection of life.”

Here we learn that although it may seem paradoxical to say that living men are dead, that is exactly what the Second Man From Heaven said. He declared that when these living dead men believe they do pass out of death into life. When this great transformation has taken place then these living men have new life, Divine life. Note the Bible instructions to those believers who have passed out of death into life “Yield yourselves unto God, as those who are alive, from the dead.” Romans 6:13. Dead sinners heard the voice of the Son of God and were made alive. The hour is coming when all that are in the grave will hear the voice of the Son of God. The men who die saved will come forth in the resurrection of life. But not the unsaved. Their part is called “the second death.” So, remember, you are either headed for the resurrection of life or for the second death. Also remember that you will never hear the saving gospel if you leave this world unsaved. If you do, Hades is not missionary territory. Would it not be wise on your part to receive the Divine life that God offers you in Christ this side of the grave? Christ said, “He that believeth on Me, though he were dead, yet shall he live.” “The free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.” Romans 6:23. You cannot earn this gift by striving, struggling or by doing your very best. Eternal life is not a reward for faithful service. God will surely reward His faithful people for their faithful works. But eternal life is God’s free gift. Salvation is not for sale. It cannot be purchased by man. Note God’s plain words: “Not of works, lest any man should boast.” “Not of yourselves; it is the gift of God.” Ephesians 2:9 and 8. Sinners pass out of death into life when they believe God’s Word and receive God’s Son. God’s Son said, “I am the way, the truth and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by Me.” John 14:6. The Son of God said, “Verily, verily, I say unto you, he that believeth on Me hath everlasting life.” John 6:47. Note God’s true Word: “And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in His Son.” John 5:11. “He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.” I John 5:12: The glorious future of all who have eternal life through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ is stated in Colossians 3:4: “When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with Him in glory:” Again we quote the testimony of the greatest of all Christians, in Galatians 2:20: “I have been crucified with Christ; nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, Who loved me and gave Himself for me.”

Here we have the testimony of a man who had been dead and was made alive; and after he was alive he declared that he had been crucified. Crucifixion meant death, if it was crucifixion with Christ. “Death” crucifixion meant death baptism for Christ, and it was death baptism for the man who was crucified with Christ. Note the words of Christ when He knew He was going to Calvary for crucifixion and death: “I have a baptism to be baptized with; and how am I straightened (pressed) till it be accomplished. It was accomplished when the Saviour cried on the cross, “Finished,” and yielded up the ghost. John 19:30. Christ was baptized into death. His death was His baptism. In Colossians 2:20 we learn that the believer is dead with Christ. Note this plain statement in Colossians 3:3: “For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.” “Knowing that our old man was crucified with Christ.” Romans 6:6.

“Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him.” Romans 6:8. Note how the believers are described in Romans 6:2 . . . “We that are dead to sin.” Note the great change in Ephesians 2:5 and 6: “Even when we were dead in sins, God hath made us alive together with Christ, and hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenlies in Christ Jesus.” What a change! From “dead in sins” to a life and resurrection and ascension. By grace. “God who is rich in mercy, for His great love wherewith He loved us.” Ephesians 2:4 . . . But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.” Ephesians 2:13.

Surely we should study the sixth chapter of Romans in the light of Romans 3:24, “Being declared righteous without a cause by God’s grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus.”

If it is without a cause, so far as anything that man deserves or is able to do or not to do, then surely man should not give any value or importance to his work or worthiness or any religious ceremony, except as he may be able to say with the apostle Paul: “I have planted, another man watered; but God gave the increase. So then neither is he that planteth anything, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase.” I Corinthians 3:6 and 7.

Surely it is a blessed privilege to point the sinner to the Lord Jesus Christ, to instruct him from the Word of God that he can be saved by grace, by believing that when Jesus Christ received His death baptism on the cross He actually put sin away and then entered into heaven after His resurrection, having obtained eternal redemption for us. Hebrews 9:12. But no faithful and obedient servant of the Lord who believes Romans 3:24 and Ephesians 2:8 to 10, will instruct any justified believer to receive a religious ceremony from the hands of another man to make his justification more efficacious or his position in Christ more secure, no, he will say with Paul, “God, Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began.” II Timothy 1:9. “According to the election of grace.” “And if by grace, then it is no more of works; otherwise grace is no more grace.” “But if it be of works, then it is no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.” Romans 11:5 and 6.

Pastor J.C. O'Hair

Big7

The Oracle
Holy Long Post's- NoOne !!!

You wouldn't happen to have the "short version" or just a synopsis we could read in a few minutes, would you?

NoOne

Gone but not forgotten.
Holy Long Post's- NoOne !!!

You wouldn't happen to have the "short version" or just a synopsis we could read in a few minutes, would you?

Trust in Christ and Christ alone,
He's our Saviour on the Throne.
It's by His Mercy and His Grace,
Stop your trying, it's just a waste.
His Blood cleanses all our sins
and God excepts us just in Him.
Rest in His finished work of Grace
or die in sin and await your fate.

NoOne

Last edited:

Big7

The Oracle
Trust in Christ and Christ alone,
He's our Saviour on the Throne.
It's by His Mercy and his Grace,
Stop your trying, it's just a waste.
His Blood cleanses all our sins
and God excepts us just in Him.
Rest in his finished work of Grace
or die in sin and await your fate.

NoOne
What do you mean by #4? Are you saying we (humans) need not "try" to do good works?

That all a person need do is make a simple declaration?

Ummm... I'd like to discuss this one with you.?

Last edited:

NoOne

Gone but not forgotten.
Don't get the cart before the Horse. Salvation is of the Lord.

Gods word says it best: Ephesians 2:8-10 "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:Not of works, lest any man should boast.
For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them."

To many want to put the cart before the horse. It's all by Grace now.

We do works for the Lord after we are saved. As the Apostle John said "We love him, because he first loved us." We do the works because we are his workmanship and it's the Love of Christ doing it.

As the Apostle Paul states in 2 Corinthians 5:14,15 "For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead:
And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again
."

True Believers should live for him out of love and gratitude for what he did for all.

He loved us (sinners) and gave himself to take our place and pay the full penalty for our sins. He was God manifested in the flesh and as the word says

"Who was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification. Romans 4:25

Last edited:

Big7

The Oracle
So.. With a simple declaration we are "Saved" and need not do anything more?

Sounds like you COULD BE, not an accusation- but the O.S.A.S narrative sounds like you.. And that's ok.. Again, not an accusation- and CERTAINLY not my place to judge.. I'm NOT AT ALL in the judging business..

I'm just curious if you are Fundamental Baptist and sub- group... O.S.A.S.?
Once "SAVED", Always Saved?

NoOne

Gone but not forgotten.
Believers are one body, the body of Christ; Ephesians 4:4. Believers are not made up of some man made Tradition of men.

Every true believer is members of his body through Faith in what Christ did at Calvary on our behalf. A personal relationship.

Every true believer is identified in Christ death, burial and resurrection. We have a personal relationship with him.

We believe what God says that we are lost sinners who were without hope until hope came and recused us.

We were guilty and dead in sin, because we came that way into the world by Adam.

"Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned" Romans 5:12

A person has to realize this first that he is dead in sin and needs a Saviour. That is the reason Christ came into this world from God the Father to save sinners

The wages of sin is death and that means eternal separation from God, the second death, the lake of fire.

God sent his own son into the world to pay the full penalty for our sins and that includes all, for all came by Adam.

The word of God says that without Faith it is impossible to please God. God wants all to believe the record that he gives of his son and that he is God's son, sinless and blameless and death had no claim on him for he did no sin.

Yet we find him later dying on the cross and the reason was that God placed all the sin of Adam on Christ and Christ paid for all the sin of mankind. His death was our death, his burial our burial and his resurrection our resurrection. God was in Christ reconciling the world unto himself, 2 Corinthians 5:19-21 "To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation. Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God. For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him."

When we take God at his word and believe with all our heart (FAITH) the record he gives, that Christ died for our sins and was raised for the dead for our justification, we pass from death into life and that life is his Son, our Lord Jesus Christ.

That's how the believer is now identified as members of his body and as the Apostle Paul gives testimony to this as a type of the marriage relationship a man has with his wife. Ephesians 5:30-32 "For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones. For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh. This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church."

Faith in the finished work of Christ and his love for the church which is his body. This is the true Church "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus." Galations 3:28

Last edited:

NoOne

Gone but not forgotten.
Take this to thought.

If you had to stand before God today and weighed in the balances. Do you think he would let you into his Heaven on the basis of what religious works you have done or on the basis of what his Son the Lord Jesus Christ did for you at Calvary?

Let us say as our Apostle Paul has said "I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain. Galations 2:20,21

I can assure you that Christ did not die in vain. God will see to that when he raptures the body of Christ from this earth and at the Great White Throne Judgement of the twice dead.

Last edited:

NoOne

Gone but not forgotten.
For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures; and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures” (I Cor. 15:3,4).​

A Person is our Savior and our salvation. A Person is our Life-giver and our life. A Person is our Redeemer and redemption. A Person is our righteousness and holiness. A Person is our peace and our hope. That Person is the Lord Jesus Christ, “the Man Christ Jesus,” the “one Mediator between God and men.” By His blood we have been brought nigh to God.

We need nothing more than Christ; nothing less will suffice or avail. To add any religion whatsoever to Christ Himself is to displease God. In Christ dwelleth all the fullness of the Godhead bodily. In Christ are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. God was in Christ reconciling the world unto Himself. The believer is in Christ. The believer is accepted in Christ; complete in Christ; without condemnation in Christ; the righteousness of God in Christ. The believer is blessed with all spiritual blessings in Christ. Christ is the superlative need of the world. He is all that you need, but you do need Him. You must have Him, or be lost forever.

Pastor J.C. O'Hair

Last edited: